cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Tundra

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a Toyota Tundra 5.7 which is a move up from my Ford F-150 4.6, both have about the same length yet the Tundra's hitch is about 3/4 of an inch higher. So my questions for everyone that might know, how is it towing with the Tundra and do you think I would need to adjust my Equalizer hitch for the small difference in the new hight? I know I will have more power on the hills and mountains but just looking for anyone's experience with the change?
12 REPLIES 12

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With gas, 8 mpg is not bad, 9 mpg is great, but most times 10 mpg is not going to happen, without lowering speed and adding a tailwind.

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
man I would take that 10mpg in a heart beat. Way more than my Ford 6.2 gives me, but I am towing a smidge more.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Your Tundra is no more thirsty than most others out there towing large trailers.
Be happy with 10mpg - many get much less! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Yep, 10mpg is pretty much the average for gasses and great for hill driving.
Wonder what ugly duckling expected.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2007 Tundra we had was a great truck and it pulled our Winnebago 2201DS travel trailer (about 6500 lbs. loaded) with ease including a trip to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, and then on to Little Big Horn, Devil's Tower the South Dakota Badlands. We also had an Equalizer hitch and it was top notch.
Enjoy the new truck! And ditto on checking the setup and adjust as needed.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
scottsnider wrote:
Thank you all for your thoughts, when I hook it up I will see if there is much of a difference. When I used to hook up on the ford it would move it less than a 1/2 inch so I expect about the same with the Tundra.

How much drop the truck has from the trailer is more a function of the truck suspension than it is the height of the ball. If you had a stiff suspension on the Ford, it may have kept the deflection to a minimum. If the Tundra has soft suspension, it may deflect A LOT. Of course, the reverse may be true. If the Tundra has the stiffer suspension, it may deflect LESS.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your thoughts, when I hook it up I will see if there is much of a difference. When I used to hook up on the ford it would move it less than a 1/2 inch so I expect about the same with the Tundra.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your Tundra is no more thirsty than most others out there towing large trailers.
Be happy with 10mpg - many get much less! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my 27' Flaggstaff trailer with a 2007 Tundra 5.7 and a Blue Ox WD hitch. It easily pulls my trailer without much effort. The only negative is that it's a bit thirsty. I average around 10 MPG pulling here in the hilly North East.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Try it first. 3/4 of an inch is not much. It may work fine.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Due to the suspension differences of the two trucks, the WDH setup should be rechecked for proper adjustment. As to the height adjustment, you probably already know that your trailer should tow level, or slightly lower in the front. The power of the 5.7, compared to the 4.6, should be a huge difference, that you will enjoy!

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I cant comment on towing with your new tundra. With the equalizer on a new vehicle, I would for sure start over and do all the measurements as recommended by your hitch manufacturer. The secret to proper weight distribution and sway control is taking the time to set up the equalizer. Hope you enjoy the new rig
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)