cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carprofen vs human NSAIDS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering what the difference would be between Carprofen vs Human NSAIDS other then dosage. Mikko is on 75mg twice daily and wondered about using the human version. The Carprofen is about $70. a bottle of 60 tablets vs about $7. a bottle of 100 tablets. I could cut the human tablets in half and be very close to the correct dosage.
8 REPLIES 8

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
....If you want information related to drug usage in animals, your best source is your veterinarian.

Doug, DVM

^^^^^^^^^^ correct answer.

There is (or was) a human option of Carprofen that was prescribed in Europe years ago. Carprofen never completely made its way thru the looooooooooooog FDA approval procedure- something else better/cheaper to manufacture came out while Carprofen was in trials and Carprofen was pulled from consideration. So it never made it into the US human market.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
Talk to the professional who knows the most, that would be your pharmacist.

Unless things have changed, pharmacists are not normally trained in animal related drugs, doses, adverse side effects, etc.

If you want information related to drug usage in animals, your best source is your veterinarian.

Doug, DVM

A good bit depends on your pharmacist. Both of mine have a passion for animals and we fill many scripts a day for our fur baby patients. Our prices tend to be lower than vets as well, just need a script.

I do agree your vet should be your number one source as they know your animal better than anyone.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

dturm
Halmfamily wrote:

Unless things have changed, pharmacists are not normally trained in animal related drugs, doses, adverse side effects, etc.

If you want information related to drug usage in animals, your best source is your veterinarian.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
yep, ask a doc.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your vet

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dr Doug, between the Pentoxifylline and Prednisone for Cooper and now the Carprofen for Mikko it is getting expensive. Add to the fact I have another $11300. in medical bills this year as well.

dturm
I'm not aware of a human version of Carprofen available. Make sure you are comparing identical nsaids.

There are many other human nsaids. Some should NOT be used in dogs or cats while there are some that can be used at the appropriate dose.

I'd consider Meloxicam (human generic available) if cost of carprofen is a problem.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV