cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Awning Fabric that has Alumiguard Cover - DIY

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Our 16 year old awning is in need of being replaced and we have decided to take the route to do it our self. After watching about 20 you tube videos, this doesn't seem like it will be a difficult task.

The question is that our awning has an Alumiguard protective cover over it when it is rolled up. After hours of research for replacement awning material, I found that Shade Pro overs replacement covers for alumiguard, but only in the Acrylic Awning Material.

I'm hesitant about switching to Acrylic, mainly because we have always had vinyl and had no issues, and the price difference. It is not a make or break for the price though.

Can anyone help convince me to switch to acrylic over vinyl?

If not acrylic, I was told that I could just install a new vinyl awning and not have the alumiguard reinstalled. This is partially okay by me, because the motorhome is getting a nice new shed to stay under when not in use before spring, so it win't be exposed to the weather much when not in use.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper
17 REPLIES 17

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Good for you! With some help and like you said "taking our time" good to go. We get back to our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. for the winter, I have a new fabric to install. Was going to do it in the spring but all my help blew out of town to go north. I'll get them corralled in November.

FYI, make sure you pay attention to the direction that you unwind the springs torrision. That was our biggest issue. We put in on, flipped the lever to unroll, and it came flying down. We had the spring wound backwards. Then we changed them, and had to wound opposite so it done nothing. But we finally figured it out.

I also recommend getting some of the folding white tables to work on.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good for you! With some help and like you said "taking our time" good to go. We get back to our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. for the winter, I have a new fabric to install. Was going to do it in the spring but all my help blew out of town to go north. I'll get them corralled in November.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got around to replacing the awning this morning. We decided to go with vinyl. Dyer rv made the vinyl to fit the metal weatherguard took about 2.5 hours with 4 people helping. We took our time and kept verifying the directions and watching the YouTube video. Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Spend the money for acrylic. My 21 year old acrylic awnings are still presentable, with no tears and minor fading.

Richard

Any issues with the waterproofing? That is my fear. Do you have to re-waterproof it or anything?

All I've ever done to the 4 window and 1 patio awnings is wash them. I've never had the patio awning drip on me.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely do whatever is needed to keep the alumagard cover. My last RV had the alumagard; it was 10 years old when I purchased it, used it for 12 years...the awning was still in pristine condition when I sold it because of the alumagard cover. Never had a single problem rolling it up; there is nothing about the alumagard that could affect how the awning rolls up. On the other hand, my current RV (also purchased used) had a new awning installed by dealer prior to my purchase. No alumagard. After just 3 years of exposure, the awning already has a tear right in the center near the wall. When I finally replace the material, it WILL include the addition of the alumagard.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Have you ever replaced the springs in the roller tube? If not, your springs probably are getting worn so it doesn't roll like it should. Ours is 19 yrs old and we have had to replace them. The awning rolls much better with nice new springs.

I have not thought about that. I will look into it. Thanks

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Spend the money for acrylic. My 21 year old acrylic awnings are still presentable, with no tears and minor fading.

Richard

Any issues with the waterproofing? That is my fear. Do you have to re-waterproof it or anything?

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
have you looked a tough top awning material? they are out of Vancouver Washington, and have great material for awnings. also RV geeks have a great video on you tube on how to replace your awnings

I have and I really liked what I read about them, but out RV is white with blue designs on it, and they don't have a blue awning or anything remotely close.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever replaced the springs in the roller tube? If not, your springs probably are getting worn so it doesn't roll like it should. Ours is 19 yrs old and we have had to replace them. The awning rolls much better with nice new springs.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
have you looked a tough top awning material? they are out of Vancouver Washington, and have great material for awnings. also RV geeks have a great video on you tube on how to replace your awnings

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cocky_Camper wrote:
ScottG wrote:
How is an alumaguard awning hard to roll up?
We have it on the main awning and my only regret is not getting it on the slide-out awnings.
I did have to adjust the little rubber guides/lifter thingys on the ends because Northwood had no idea what they were doing but after that, it works great.

I never lines up when rolling up. But I'm not 100% sure if it due to the awning being so bad (we wanted to get one more season out of it), or due to the alumiguard being on it. We never had this issue with any other awning that we had.

Ah I see. I think you'll be able to adjust that out when you replace it.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
We have it on the main awning and my only regret is not getting it on the slide-out awnings.
I did have to adjust the little rubber guides/lifter thingys on the ends because Northwood had no idea what they were doing but after that, it works great.

I never lines up when rolling up. But I'm not 100% sure if it due to the awning being so bad (we wanted to get one more season out of it), or due to the alumiguard being on it. We never had this issue with any other awning that we had.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad