cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 40 between Barstow and Kingman

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of weather would one likely encounter in January between Barstow CA and Kingman Arizona on Interstate 40? What about Interstate 15 between Barstow and the Nevada border?
9 REPLIES 9

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove that a couple days ago and all was perfect. Even the road surface on 40 seemed improved. We had no wind but it can be windy there any time. Safe travels. Betsy.
Betsy

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if you do stop in Needles, beware of the "loose wheel" scam -- the mechanics at the gas stations shake your wheel and say you need emergency repairs. Just say no!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
How ever you plan or when you go, make sure you DO NOT stop for gas or fuel in Needles, CA.!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a canoe trip from Blythe in February on the Colorado River. We hit a cold spell and had severe frost every morning. It was the luck of the draw. Finding firewood was a challenge. Colder than we expected but still not that bad. I like the low desert in winter.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've often hit some major headwinds on that road (heading west), which drops our mileage into the 9 mpg range. No big deal, but something to be aware of.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Usually calm but winds pick up in afternoon ans sometimes will blow for a day or two. Weatherunderground...
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly nice weather. It does get windy in the desert in winter but you'll most likely encounter blue skies and maybe a nice breeze. There is little to see or do on either road so I would take I40 but if you have time, take a Lake Havasu detour and visit London Bridge. AND try to wait til you get to Az for gas. Its about a dollar cheaper than in Calif. Happy travels.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winter in the low desert is easy. Most of the time it is above freezing and dry. There can be some nice warm days all winter.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to Accuweather.com, put in any city/state and look at the monthly forecast for that place. Just pick two or three cities/towns on your route and have a look.
2014 Allegro 36LA