cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Searching for Our Right 5th Wheel

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here with a question. Next season we are trading our Class A for a 5th wheel, particularly a toy hauler. Our research is beginning now with the goal of actually purchasing by March 2019. The top “want / must have” is a garage that will hold our ATVs. Currently the utility trailer we use is 8’ X 14’ pulled behind the Class A.

How, where do we start identifying/shopping 5th wheel toy haulers by its specific garage size? Meeting our needs with regards to garage size is our starting point for shopping and deciding on our first 5th wheel.

Another “wants’ / must have” is well insulated so it can be used all year round. No budget, and no weight limit......yet.

Where would you suggest we start our search for the right 5th Wheel?
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rookie_rv wrote:
Rookie RVer :C here with a question. Next season we are trading our Class A for a 5th wheel, particularly a toy hauler. Our research is beginning now with the goal of actually purchasing by March 2019. The top “want / must have” is a garage that will hold our ATVs. Currently the utility trailer we use is 8’ X 14’ pulled behind the Class A.

How, where do we start identifying/shopping 5th wheel toy haulers by its specific garage size? Meeting our needs with regards to garage size is our starting point for shopping and deciding on our first 5th wheel.

Another “wants’ / must have” is well insulated so it can be used all year round. No budget, and no weight limit......yet.

Where would you suggest we start our search for the right 5th Wheel?

Start with the floorplan you want, which means you're just going to have to start looking at every brand you can think of. Make a list of "must-haves", "needs", "wants" and "nice-to-have-but-can-live-withouts". You're not a newbie RVer, so I'm sure you already have a good list in your head for all these, though there will be specifics to a towable/truck combo. Start comparing the floorplans and specs to your list and see what you come up with. Look at brand/model reviews and do searches are the various RV fora, including brand-specific sites. Once you have a list of models you like, then start narrowing down and comparing them. Can you afford a $100k TH =and= the truck to pull it or will you need to be down in the $50k range to be able to afford the truck...assuming you don't already have one.

As for the truck, you're firmly in 1t territory; SRW at minimum but more likely a dually.

FWIW, it took me nearly 2 years to decide on what I wanted and =still= didn't end up with either my #1 or #2 choice! :B Once =she= saw our current rig, she pointed out a couple things that she really liked over =my= choice, so we got that one. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:
We have been to a few shows and dealers. When I walk up to a trailer and see an awning ending just past the doorway I look no further and move on.

I agree, and I am considering replacing my awning with one 2' longer.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been to a few shows and dealers. When I walk up to a trailer and see an awning ending just past the doorway I look no further and move on. In a rain with a wind your entrance will be wet.
I like a trailer where we have full access without putting out a slide. In The above unit it appears to provide that.
However I like a recliner chair that faces the tv. I don't like a sore neck.
Water capacity, bigger the better if your boon docking.
Double pane glass.
If I was ordering new I'd want min of 7 K 0 degree torflex axels. In the above unit 3, 6 K, 0 degree torflex axels.
Fantastic Fans throughout the unit is a must.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Do you really want the 5th wheel or just something to haul your toy’s? I’m sure you know there are Class A’s that have a garage.

That is what hit me too. Is it for you or is it for the toy? Just me but I'd be looking for my comforts & space over a toy. The accommodations of the toy haulers tend to be a bit more basic than a nicely fitted out 5er designed for 2.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
First, you must decide how big of a garage you want/need. THEN go looking for the Toy Hauler that meets the criteria.

You need to start somewhere. You said your current trailer is 14x8. If you are looking for a toy hauler garage that's 14 feet, you are going to have to start big.

After determining your garage size, you just need to explore manufacturers web sites. Here's a link to Keystone. It's a start:

Keystone Brand Toy Haulers, click here.

Select any brand and then on each brand site, select the floor plans. Select the floor plan that interests you, then you can see a larger image of it and the stats for that specific model.

It's slow work, and there are other manufacturers out there, for example, Forest River.

Carbon 374 has a garage size 12'6"
Carbon 387 has a garage size 17'0"

Here's the 387 floor plan.

Like I said, It's a start, but you've gotta start somewhere.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spring is usually RV Super Show time at least in my part of the country, I'd spend some time at one.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really want the 5th wheel or just something to haul your toy’s? I’m sure you know there are Class A’s that have a garage.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT