cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Express 246RKS Anyone have one?

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We're still looking at different RV options to do the "USA" tour in when the DW retires. Then we bought Red and the TC back form our son (they out grew it) so now we have a tow beast. We seriously looked at the smaller couples TT's and they are just to small for months and months of travel, then we saw a 246RKS on the internet. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Do you think it will survive a 50,000 mile tour? What don't you like about it? Any feedback would be great.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
13 REPLIES 13

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
There is no doubt you can get around with the slide in. Don’t get me wrong, we really liked our 24RKS, and it towed very nice. If you like the 18” slide it should be very good for you. I had no worries about the fridge all the way in the back. The frame may crack for other reasons, unknown to me but our 24RKS had a stout frame.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, we actually like the short slide and able to get to bedroom while closed. Won’t have pets under foot in TT.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2017 Jayco 24RKS which is basically the same trailer. The killer for us was it only has an 18" slide. On the good side it had an unbelievable amount of internal storage for such a small trailer. The wide axle gap is good for stability and is not an issue turning sharp corners. Like anything, just take the turn slowly and allow the trailer axles to comply. I've done quite a few sharp turns into gas pumps and you just need to give the tires a chance to slide. The layout is nice but for us the 18" slide just didn't fill the need. Get your dog traveling back an forth in the trailer and everyone is tripping over each other due to a lack of room.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the 231RBDS, We like the end of the bed to be open space and to have two seating choices over the one U shaped dinette. Going to see and price a used 2018, only question at this time is the space around the toilet of the 246? Thanks
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
This TT has made it to the top of our list. What alternatives would you do if the 246RKS does not pan out for us? Any more thoughts on the 246RKS?
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

dward51
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I'm an anomaly. We just bought a 2015 Freedom Express 246RKS, a few weeks ago. But I did get it at a price I could not say no to (well under book value and it great condition).

As to the sofa cushions not being comfortable, I will give you that. But it is due to the non-supportive density foam they used. The upholstery for the cushions zips off and I can replace that with whatever quality/density I desire from Foamfactory.com for an easy fix.

We liked the interior storage as there seemed to be more overall in the FE 246RKS than others that size (couples trailers). Yes, the kitchen could use more counter space, but what couples trailer that size doesn't need a little more? There may be better and greater out there, but we liked what we saw, and for the price, I could not say no. Especially if weight is a concern (ie, towing with a 1500 or 150)

My one real gripe is the corner shower size. Not a deal breaker, but I would love to have a bigger shower (again, this is common to most TT in this size class). I'm considering removing the glass surround and replacing it with one of those oversized curtain rods for more upper area room, but have not done so yet.

In that TT size class it's all pretty much a trade off between weight/design materials/size (driven by weight to keep them lightweight).
Dward51

2015 Freedom Express 246RKS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
As it would be for us - the 120 vac dorm fridge would be handy for drinks but the rest of it we wouldn't use at all so if we did own 231RBDS I'd instead use that space for handy storage.

mountainkowboy wrote:
Size and layout is good and if the outdoor kitchen was a bathroom wardrobe it would be perfect for us.

Inside the 231RBDS bathroom the area above where the outside kitchen is located the upper area has a 3-door cabinet which would readily serve as a wardrobe, 'though not hanging. I suppose one could remove the lower wall below this cabinet as it's just paneling but I'd probably use it as is as there's so much storage in these trailers anyway. We never have managed to use all the storage space in our 192RBS so I can't imagine needing even more in a 231RBDS.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

As it would be for us - the 120 vac dorm fridge would be handy for drinks but the rest of it we wouldn't use at all so if we did own 231RBDS I'd instead use that space for handy storage. Otherwise this model for us would be just about perfect as a couple's trailer - not too long or heavy but plenty of interior space for longer trips, a huge bathroom, a generously sized dinette that can be converted to a bed for occasional guests, and a main sleeping area separate from the rest of the trailer. :B

Size and layout is good and if the outdoor kitchen was a bathroom wardrobe it would be perfect for us.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
We seriously looked at the smaller couples TT's and they are just to small for months and months of travel ...

SoundGuy wrote:
If I were buying another Freedom Express offering more room than the 192RBS I'd be looking at the 231RBDS which has the fridge located more logically near the axles.

mountainkowboy wrote:
Never considered that, you may be on to something. We looked at that model and the exterior kitchen is useless to us...I guess we're still looking.

As it would be for us - the 120 vac dorm fridge would be handy for drinks but the rest of it we wouldn't use at all so if we did own 231RBDS I'd instead use that space for handy storage. Otherwise this model for us would be just about perfect as a couple's trailer - not too long or heavy but plenty of interior space for longer trips, a huge bathroom, a generously sized dinette that can be converted to a bed for occasional guests, and a main sleeping area separate from the rest of the trailer. :B

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
We seriously looked at the smaller couples TT's and they are just to small for months and months of travel, then we saw a 246RKS on the internet. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Do you think it will survive a 50,000 mile tour? What don't you like about it? Any feedback would be great.

The fridge in the Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS is in the worst possible location at the far rear of the trailer, just as it is in the 192RBS, including mine which suffered a cracked frame on both sides just aft of the rear axle. While I can't definitively prove the weight of the fridge, especially when full, was the cause of this frame failure it sure is suspicious. If I were buying another Freedom Express offering more room than the 192RBS I'd be looking at the 231RBDS which has the fridge located more logically near the axles.

Never considered that, you may be on to something. We looked at that model and the exterior kitchen is useless to us...I guess we're still looking.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
We seriously looked at the smaller couples TT's and they are just to small for months and months of travel, then we saw a 246RKS on the internet. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Do you think it will survive a 50,000 mile tour? What don't you like about it? Any feedback would be great.

The fridge in the Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS is in the worst possible location at the far rear of the trailer, just as it is in the 192RBS, including mine which suffered a cracked frame on both sides just aft of the rear axle. While I can't definitively prove the weight of the fridge, especially when full, was the cause of this frame failure it sure is suspicious. If I were buying another Freedom Express offering more room than the 192RBS I'd be looking at the 231RBDS which has the fridge located more logically near the axles.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion: for starters....
That model and floor plan is more of a, "weekend," set up. Very little counter space, no pantry, and we prefer a couple of recliners for comfort over a sofa.

anyway, good luck with your search.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Two huge reason why I'd never buy that TT. The sofa is not a true sofa in that it better be very comfortable because you can't replace it.
2nd is the very wide tracks suspension. The torque that will be applied to the rear axle in sharp turn will eventually result in a bent axle or tweaked spring hangers.