cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipes OK tomorrow night?? 26

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is going to drop to 26 tomorrow night after only being in the mid 40s tomorrow. It will probably only be below freezing for 4-5 hours.
I do have an enclosed underbelly, and the pipe are plex. Is that long enough to freeze the pipes?

Tonight is my only chance to drain and blow the pipes, but I really don't have time. Camper is stored offsite, so I'll have to bring it to the house, winterize, and then take it back. I was going to bring it over this weekend to winterize, and a few other maintenance things.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
43 REPLIES 43

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update:: I drained the low points for that one night, and no damage. I proought it to the house, and checked for leaks, and everything is good. It is now properly winterized.

Thanks for the advise!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We thought we'd done well last year, bleeding/emptying everything, but we forgot to bleed the toilet water line completely. Yup, cracked the valve. Lesson learned. I live in Georgia, and it doesn't take too long below freezing to do some damage. Don't forget to bleed the outside shower line, too.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BizmarksMom wrote:
Open the low point drains and the faucets. Pour pink antifreeze into all of the traps, and hope. If you can get to the storage lot, a 12v air compressor will blow the lines. Open the faucets, plug the air compressor into your cigarette lighter, and let 'er rip.

Have you done this with a little cig lighter air compressor?
Gonna say not near enough volume output. It'll blow out a candle. It won't blow out pipes.

To the OP, 40s during the day and one mid night of mid 20s for a few hours won't freeze the pipes.
The problems arise when 1 night turns into 2 or 5 and the camper is stored in the shade, and it's not really just 4 hours becasue there's a temperature inversion in the morning and it really was 20 deg down in the holler when the official forecast was 26 and you don't have the time, so you don't bother, and, and, and.......
Most "woe is me"stories don't tell the whole story......I.E. One. Doesn't want to admit they screwed up on the World Wide Web, so "It only got down to freezing for 6 hours, I don't understand why it froze".....while there are kids skating on the ponds!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I drained the tanks, and the low point, and hoping that is enough. It kinda snuck up on me this year. We are likely to camp any month. Last year I winterized 4-5 times. In the south you never know when you might have a good weekend to camp.

Been there done that, winterized couple times in the winter. Temps here can be fickle. It will be in the low 30's and then for a few days will drop into the 20's for a few night. If Im not going anywhere for a few weeks will winterized but if I think I might want to go camping cause the weather is nice I will just set the furnace to its lowest setting. My under belly is heated so will just suck up the expenice for a few days
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
The shower on the outside of trailer is the weak spot for freezing on my Montana. Froze twice causing a water leak. After the second time I put a folded towel on the faucets and closed the door. No problem since.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
If I have a hot water tank, what should I call the heater attached to it?
At 62, I'm not changing my words now. I ain't doin' it!
To quote Bill Clinton, "That depends on what the definition of is is."
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
oops double post!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Decided to delete my post - Not going feed the Trolls.

Did you delete your post or did you input your decision to your computer and it deleted the post for you?

I wish the OP would come back and let us know what happened!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decided to delete my post - Not going feed the Trolls.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Why do you heat your hot water?
I heat my heat hot water to keep it up to optimal temperature. Drops below 140°, water heater kicks on, gets up to 180°, water heater kicks off.
Does that answer your question?

Kinda, sorta... How do you get your cold water to the 140 degree mark though? Do you have a COLD water heater to get it to 140, then transfer to the HOT water heater to maintain between 140 and 180?

I am fascinated, as both my house and my RV just have a COLD water heater than does both...:W

So, should we call it a Cold/Hot Water Heater Maintainer?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
I heat my heat hot water to keep it up to optimal temperature. Drops below 140°, water heater kicks on, gets up to 180°, water heater kicks off.

Kinda, sorta... How do you get your cold water to the 140 degree mark though? Do you have a COLD water heater to get it to 140, then transfer to the HOT water heater to maintain between 140 and 180?

I am fascinated, as both my house and my RV just have a COLD water heater than does both...:W
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
There's always that one guy...

Tragic character flaw in me... being correct.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DM6156 wrote:

Local RV dealer service center staff told me that I don't need to worry about winterizing unless it's going to be below freezing for 3 days in a row.

Those aren't my words, but words from local dealer so use at your own risk.

Your local dealer obviously has little experience with cold weather. How far below freezing? For how long? How warm during the day?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote: