cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Dissimilar 12V Panels In Parallel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son has 2 Kyocera 80W 16.9V 4.97A panels in parallel with 30’ of 10 ga wire one way to the controller. And he has 2 new Renogy 100W 18.9V 5.75A panels. We’re planning parallel and running a second set of wires also 30’ 10 ga one way to the same controller input.

The wiring calculator shows the Kyocera panel would have 16.6V at the controller or the Renolgy panels would have 18.5V at the controller.

Clearly 1.9V difference between the two panel types is significant and one option is to use 2 controllers.

However if we connect both sets of wires to one controller what it the result in terms of power loss or any other considerations?

Thanks for your input.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
11 REPLIES 11

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
time2roll wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
My main concern it parallel panels with a 2V difference and any possible effects on each other including overheating.
No issues, none.

X3
Just amazing when there ain't a problem, someone will make up one !
What's amazing is that I was asking for information and input, not criticism. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, yours not so much.

Bob

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
There will be a theoretical difference but no noticably deficient difference - more panels = better harvest over a shorter period of time..

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
My main concern it parallel panels with a 2V difference and any possible effects on each other including overheating.
No issues, none.

X3
Just amazing when there ain't a problem, someone will make up one !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
No issues, none.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The controller is a Sunforce 30A model 60032 PWM controller. The panels are Renogy RNG-100D 100W and Kyocera KC 80-01 80W.

I believe both panels have bypass diodes which normally would not be a factor for matched parallel panels.

Bob

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say which brand/model controller, or even the type, so everyone's left to guess.

I'll assume it's a PWM controller, because with an MPPT you'd be better off connecting the panels in series. As already stated, they run at the battery voltage. You won't lose any efficiency due to mixing panels in parallel.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues as the whole thing will be at battery voltage and produce Isc.
Strap them on and enjoy the additional power.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
renogy 100w Vmp of 18.9v @ 5.29A = 100 w
if you buy that combined peak power is @ 16.9v, can you read the power @ 16.9v? 95w? is that a 5% loss? for the 100w panel and ~1/2 for the combined?

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Compare the % differences based on the Volts. You will lose 2V because the array will operate at 16.9V. The 16.9V panels could appear as shaded and possibly overheat.

Parallel equal Volts, series equal Amps.

You would want to know about blocking and bypass diodes Video.

I would go with a separate controller.

HTH;
John

red31
Explorer
Explorer
pwm controller, panels operate at batt voltage + line loss.
mppt controller, during bulk operates at the combined panels mppt.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I am running 3 different brand panels in parallel, 2 100w, and 1 90w for 5 yrs w/o any problems. The specs were close, but not the same. Power loss is sure not enuff for me to be concerned about. Under less than perfect sun conditions, I have seen 14 amps output.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.