Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added 2-3 Hour Border Wait Time Starting Tuesday

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Starting 0830 TUESDAY...

Expect 2-3 hour ADDED border wait time. One or more lanes will be closed per POE and instead of being waved through ALL vehicles will be inspected for stowaways. This is going to affect all northbound traffic at all POE's. Obviously some more remote POE's will be impacted less than others.

I recommend when motor home facilities are not available to anticipate 4 hours of no-bathroom-restroom access and limit coffee and beverage consumption.

I head north day after tomorrow and I will encounter the massive plug of traffic slightly dehydrated. Thankfully Pablo is driving his miniature model 4 cyl Pontiac and my Kindle will have a full charge.

Take note of ADDED wait time. Add this to normal wait times and 4-5 hours in line would not be out of the question.

No end date for this CBP action was announced. Secondary Immigration checkpoints may or may not have traffic backups because of added and increased surveillance.

Yes, this is due to the migrant caravaners.
12 REPLIES 12

Talleyho69
We lived in Southern California until recently. It was well worth it for us to enter the US through Sonoyta/Lukeville on a weekday. Weekends you can have a wait up to 30 minutes, but after 50+ crossings there on a weekday, we never waited more than 5 minutes.

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
First of all thanks for link to border wait times, something new to add to my Bookmarks.
One time at the Nogales crossing a car kept trying to cut me off in my RV. I had a GoPro cam and held it out the window. His wife saw the cam, they backed off and moved to another lane. Ron

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've NEVER in the last 30 years gotten through Garita 2 San Ysidro in under 2 hours.

Otay is faster but over the last eleven trips using a clock and Boulevard 2000 (toll road) gotten in line faster than 32 thirty two minutes longer to get into line at San Ysidro. Record fast crossing at Otay was eleven minutes. Normal is 30 minutes to sixty minutes. Very normal 30 to 45 minutes plus 32 extra minutes to get there.

Pablo and I joke about the border wait times discrepancy all the time. Maybe doable in a vehicle with CPB decals in California POE's. Cardiologist appointments are sadly rather scarce between 4PM and 9AM.

Exhaust gasses, pavement temperature flares, and idiots convinced 40 lane changes an hour will save an hour are major obstacles.

Bumper Rubbing.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
You can go online and check the wait times. Right now most are 15 to 40 minutes and some with no delay. Maybe in the daytime it will be worse.

Moisheh

As Moisheh stated, you can check wait times online. I have not seen any extra delays today.

Here's the link in case anyone needs it:
CBP Border Wait Times
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You can go online and check the wait times. Right now most are 15 to 40 minutes and some with no delay. Maybe in the daytime it will be worse.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a jerk that cut me off. He was so close I was sure he hit me. Then he cursed me in Spanish. I returned the niceties. He changed lanes and as luck would have it my lane moved quickly and his did not. I got to the booth and told the border patrol that this fellow was acting suspicious and I thought he was high on meth. I left the border and he was still in secondary. This guy was so crazy he might have been high!

Moisheh

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I suppose it's one of the cause/effect things that may get worse. Border closure is still a possibility.
Kevin

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We spent one 24th of December with our friends in Tijuana and returned to San Diego arround 11:30 or so on the 25th, wait time was about the usual for a holiday night one and a half hours aprox, at this time there was a lot of construction on the US side and an idiot decided to pass everybody on the right side next to the barriers, two gates open that night he ended two vehicles behind us, when I got to the gate the officer asked what all the racket was and I told him about the idiot in a hurry, then I offered the coment that maybe he had some 46 in the fuel tank and had limited fuel to cross, he looked at me and smiled the biggest smile he could, secondary is normally very slow so guess where he ended.

navegator

P.S. 46 is code for drugs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine why this is happening. Oh.. oh yeah..
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Elliot, that would be the time I wished to have a side car or training wheels. Frontera traffic tends to be aggressive. A particularly aggressive driver cut in and out for an hour. Horns honked. He gained about six or seven cars. I saw the Customs man emerge from his booth with a yellow placard that he slipped onto the windshield.

Could it be that someone in the observation windows above saw the jerk's driving and alerted the officer in the booth?

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in line inching ahead is really tough on a motorcyclist. Every time we are in line waiting Nationals are urging us to cut to the front of the line. I normally don't, feeling that it's not fair to others but this year once I got to the #2 bridge a vendor moved the center line barrier and we rode across the bridge in one of the oncoming lanes. I liked it too.
Balancing 900 pounds of luggage, motorcycle, and wife at the border in the sun for 2 plus hours and I'm approaching passing out.... or worse.
In an RV we would plan to arrive at the border one or two in the morning. It's not so busy then - but that's a lot different on a motorcycle.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At some point functionally closing the borders with these waits.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad