cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida bans Greyhound racing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like lots of Greyhounds will need a new home.
29 REPLIES 29

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Another article mentioned that dogs have been found to have cocaine and other drugs in their system - again no actual data to prove either way.

deleted political

Mike

I stated that there was no data to prove either way. That means it's up to the voters to decide - and they overwhelmingly voted against racing.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
So WHY did they ban it? Dogs were well cared for, and love to run. After all, It is what they were bred to do. Something sounds fishy.
Might be in part because if a Greyhound has reached it usefulness or to old or not winning some breaders dispose of them. You have to keep in mind they have a lot of dogs and if they are not productive it's expensive to keep them. Other breeders at least try to find them a home instead of destroying them.

They raise a lot of Greyhounds around Abilene KS. In fact the Greyhound hall of fame is located in Abilene KS.

As a previous poster said closing down a lot of the tracks will probably mean a large number will probably be destroyed.

If you read the article Greyhound racing is a money losing deal for the track, they make their money on other gambling.

The Greyhound track at Wichita and Pittsburgh Kansas closed several years ago when the state did not allow them to put in slot machines.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fake news? In your head. Do some Googling.

What do you think happens to all the dogs that turn up lame, donโ€™t win or cost more to heal than they are worth?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Story

I suspect the idea that they are well cared for is subjective as there appear to be no actual data collected on injuries and deaths.

Another article mentioned that dogs have been found to have cocaine and other drugs in their system - again no actual data to prove either way.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So WHY did they ban it? Dogs were well cared for, and love to run. After all, It is what they were bred to do. Something sounds fishy.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Back in the late 70's/early 80's?? use to go to a bar in Lake Havasu down by the London Bridge that had rescued racing Great Danes that roamed around inside....greet/meet with patrons

Very friendly and affectionate....just looking for a rub/pat or scratch

Great Danes or Greyhounds?

Great Danes are some of the biggest couch potatoes out there - figuratively and literally. ๐Ÿ™‚

GREYHOUNDS.......

I'd accuse auto correct but it was just a brain fade on my part

๐Ÿ™‚

Couldn't really imagine racing Great Danes, but nothing is impossible... ๐Ÿ˜‰

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Dewey Beach, Delaware a few years age. We didn't know it was the annual Greyhound weekend.
People took their Greyhounds everywhere, including inside restaurants.
Many people had two or more and we didn't see any incidents with all the dogs interacting. They were very docile.
The only 'problem' we saw was amusing. Several of the dogs, while being walked, would stop and sit or lay down. They would not move until they were ready.
I know a person who has two former race Greyhounds. He said they're just like any other dog.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Good luck with that. Greyhounds especially racing ones, are hard to handle. Takes a special enviroment and owner to have a successful pairing. Really don't make good house pets.
We did not find this to be correct when we adopted an ex racer. Jasper (ex racer) needed a lot less exercise than any of the border collies weโ€™ve had; a short walk on a leash and he was ready for a long nap. We had Jasper for over 10 years. If you want a large dog that would do well in an apartment, based upon our personal experience, Iโ€™d recommend an ex racer.

Please tell us about your personal experiences with ex racers.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Back in the late 70's/early 80's?? use to go to a bar in Lake Havasu down by the London Bridge that had rescued racing Great Danes that roamed around inside....greet/meet with patrons

Great Danes are some of the biggest couch potatoes out there - figuratively and literally. ๐Ÿ™‚

GREYHOUNDS.......

I'd accuse auto correct but it was just a brain fade on my part
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Aren't we all ! :B
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Good luck with that. Greyhounds especially racing ones, are hard to handle. Takes a special enviroment and owner to have a successful pairing. Really don't make good house pets.

Sorry, dude, you are dead wrong. Surprisingly, greyhounds are giant couch potatoes! Even race dogs! They are all gentle, sweet, and very good inside. Never destructive. They are sight hounds, so they must be in a secure fence or on a leash at all times.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Can thoroughbred racing be far behind?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

Nothing could be further from the truth. Our Greyhound "Millie", was the mellowest pooch you ever saw as are most Greyhounds. One ten minute walk a day and a couple of belly rubs and she was good to go.

Greyhounds are the ultimate couch potatoes and make ideal pets for elderly folks as they are so low maintenance. Millie never barked, I think they beat it out of them {arrrg!} and we could take her anywhere. For 8 years she traveled with us all over the country in our Aliner, the 22' TT and finally our 24'Class C.

She crossed the Rainbow bridge almost 2 years ago and not a day passes that we both don't miss her. Someday another dog and you can bet we will take another look at rescuing a Greyhound.

:S