cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

up grade t.v.

sledfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.i own a 1993 bounder 36 j.i would like to take the small t.v. and up grade them to the newer flats screnns.question is on the front one the cabinates are built around the small t.v. ,I have seen folks that have somekind of metal holder that extends it outside the cabinatewood work. has anyone else done this,if so what bracket did you use.? thanks mic
18 REPLIES 18

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
sledfisher wrote:
Hi all.i own a 1993 bounder 36 j.i would like to take the small t.v. and up grade them to the newer flats screnns.question is on the front one the cabinates are built around the small t.v. ,I have seen folks that have somekind of metal holder that extends it outside the cabinatewood work. has anyone else done this,if so what bracket did you use.? thanks mic

sledfisher,
The end result of much of what you may desire, depends on how much work you're willing to put in to a job like this. That is, if you want your coach, with its NEW TV, to look like the factory did the job, you need to do a bit of planning BEFORE you even start. I myself am not a fan of pasting a newer LED TV up against the fascia of the cabinetry because it doesn't fit in place. When I did ours, I had to find out how our original Sony boat anchor (103 lbs) TV was actually mounted, what kind of framing was there, how I could modify any and all components to set up, a newer LED style TV.

It's a long, long story but, in essence, the face frame of the cabinetry was held in with small screws from the inside of the adjoining cabinets. Once that was removed, then there was this massive structure that Winnebago installed to make sure that Titanic boat anchor would not fall on our heads as we drove down Americas less than perfect freeways and roads.

I used multiple saws and tools to remove that metal structure. Then, I came up with a mounting system for the new TV so it would fit in the slightly modified face frame of the existing cabinet. Careful measurements were taken and the wood work was done to accommodate the new TV. All said and done, on a 14 year old coach that's fitted with a new, modern LED TV, it looks like Winne did it at the factory. Again, it all depends on what you want it to look like when the job is done and, get the best TV viewing possible at the same time.

Below are pics of my change-over. I devised a mount system that is as solid as a rock. We have no need for viewing at any other angle than straight ahead so, my mount system works flawless for us. And, there's ZERO movement in that TV. And, as you can see, I did the same exact system for the bedroom TV too. It too was an out dated mini-boat anchor. So, I removed it and replaced it with a better LED TV. The wood anchor system is absolutely easy to create and, both the front and rear LED TVs are mounted utilizing the four mounting holes provided in the backside. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 40 inch tv centered in front of coach. I just mounted it over the smaller space where the old tv had been installed. About an inch of it sticks out beyond the surface of the cabinet. I didn’t try to use the space behind it as it was full of wires, framing , and various other things. In the bed room I removed the old tv from the cabinet, made a door that matched the cabinetry, put the door on with a piano hing and mounter a larger tv onto the door. I can use all the cabinet space behind by just “opening” the TV.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gundog wrote:
I have the same coach. I also replaced the front with a 32. For sound wiring, the Panasonic amp has a TV sound input. (RCA) I connected that to the TVs sound output.
Then I connected the sat box, Blu-ray, Appletv via HDMI Cables. OTA via coax to ant.
Then I use the tv remote to change sources (inputs) and the Panasonic amp is always on the tv input PLUS you get full surround sound from every device.

I don’t use the old dvd or CD player. I play music thru the Appletv.

Big Katuna
I will show what you wrote to my son he is good with this stuff and see if he can figure out the surround sound. Thanks. Did you see my post about changing the flooring have you done that? My flooring post.

I still have the factory carpet. We DID put Engineered Vinyl Plank (EVP) in our house and it is tough stuff. It floats tho, so not sure if it’s the correct stuff.

You might be surprised what the factory would say.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the front TV in my 1995 Bounder was a 13". Question, is it possible to just put a cabinet door over the old TV cabinet & mount a much larger TV in another location altogether. That is what I did with my 2002 Safari. Pic below shows old TV location far left with a cabinet door (made for some more storage) and a 37" mounted far right.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same coach. I also replaced the front with a 32. For sound wiring, the Panasonic amp has a TV sound input. (RCA) I connected that to the TVs sound output.
Then I connected the sat box, Blu-ray, Appletv via HDMI Cables. OTA via coax to ant.
Then I use the tv remote to change sources (inputs) and the Panasonic amp is always on the tv input PLUS you get full surround sound from every device.

Big Katuna
I will show what you wrote to my son he is good with this stuff and see if he can figure out the surround sound. Thanks. Did you see my post about changing the flooring have you done that? My flooring post.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

sledfisher
Explorer
Explorer
hey thank you all for your pics and comments.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gundog wrote:
I just did this in my MH I recently purchased. The front TV was in the center of the coach over the dash it was a 27" old school TV. I replaced it with a 32" LED flat screen and it fit perfect inside the cabinet. I made my own mount by using 2 shelf brackets attached to 2 of the holes they provide for a mount. I purchased 2 M4 machine screws to attach the shelf bracket to the TV I then screwed the shelf brackets to a scrap piece of 2" x 6" I had in the scrap pile and screwed that to the floor of the cabinet. The TV had legs so I screwed a piece of web strap about 3" long over the front feet into the floor of the cabinet on each leg. It is rock solid plus the new TV doesn't weight very much.

I wanted to go bigger on the front TV but a 40" TV would have not fit inside the cabinet and it would have over hung on each end interfering with the cabinet doors on each side of it not allowing them to fully open.

I replaced the one in the bedroom it was a 20" old school TV and I changed it to a 24" LED flat screen. This one I just used the web straps across the feet at all 4 corners and put a new blue ray player under it. This snugged the TV down on top of the player and it is all very solid. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

I also replaced the old VHS with a blue ray player in the front. On our first real camping trip the Grand kids stayed the night in our coach and right away I saw the need to be able to watch different movies on each TV. This way the kids can watch their movie in the front and we can watch something more age appropriate on the one in the bedroom.

My total cost for both TV's and 2 blue ray players was under $500. The only downside is the front blue ray player won't use the built in surround sound but I left the original DVD player in place so if the movie is a standard DVD the surround sound will still work. The front speakers will still work with the blue ray but not the rear speakers I am not sure if I can fix that or not.

Before pictures sorry I did not take these I saved them from the add that I bought the MH from the only picture I could find of the rear TV was an edge of it looking towards the bedroom.

After pictures

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
temp range for a led is -4 but you must warm up the air around it to 50 degrees prior to turning it on. This is the spec for my Samsung Tv.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I upgraded my RV by taking the TV that came with it out, and putting it in storage.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this in my MH I recently purchased. The front TV was in the center of the coach over the dash it was a 27" old school TV. I replaced it with a 32" LED flat screen and it fit perfect inside the cabinet. I made my own mount by using 2 shelf brackets attached to 2 of the holes they provide for a mount. I purchased 2 M4 machine screws to attach the shelf bracket to the TV I then screwed the shelf brackets to a scrap piece of 2" x 6" I had in the scrap pile and screwed that to the floor of the cabinet. The TV had legs so I screwed a piece of web strap about 3" long over the front feet into the floor of the cabinet on each leg. It is rock solid plus the new TV doesn't weight very much.

I wanted to go bigger on the front TV but a 40" TV would have not fit inside the cabinet and it would have over hung on each end interfering with the cabinet doors on each side of it not allowing them to fully open.

I replaced the one in the bedroom it was a 20" old school TV and I changed it to a 24" LED flat screen. This one I just used the web straps across the feet at all 4 corners and put a new blue ray player under it. This snugged the TV down on top of the player and it is all very solid. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

I also replaced the old VHS with a blue ray player in the front. On our first real camping trip the Grand kids stayed the night in our coach and right away I saw the need to be able to watch different movies on each TV. This way the kids can watch their movie in the front and we can watch something more age appropriate on the one in the bedroom.

My total cost for both TV's and 2 blue ray players was under $500. The only downside is the front blue ray player won't use the built in surround sound but I left the original DVD player in place so if the movie is a standard DVD the surround sound will still work. The front speakers will still work with the blue ray but not the rear speakers I am not sure if I can fix that or not.

Before pictures sorry I did not take these I saved them from the add that I bought the MH from the only picture I could find of the rear TV was an edge of it looking towards the bedroom.

After pictures

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on what you have for cabinets, some installations can be very simple. In my coach I just used a piece of plywood to fill the hole where the old TV was. I cut holes for the cables and drilled holes for the mounting bolts. Most newer TV's have STANDARD mounting locations that fit most of the special metal mounting brackets. I just copied those dimensions and drilled holes in the plywood to accommodate the four screws to hold the screen. I got the bolts at Home Depot since they are metric size and this has worked well now for over 40,000 miles. By using the plywood backing to fill the hole and mount the TV I did lose any tilt adjustments that I might have with the metal mounting assembly but my old TV did not move at all. My old TV was very heavy and needed two people to safely remove it.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
First thing is to take a few pictures of your installation and post them. From that one of us can give you direction going forward.

Our 1990 Bounder had a plastic bezel around it and a box that held the old CRT model. I tool the bezel off and removed the part of the overhead that held the TV in place. I am a sawdust maker so I didn't worry about what to put in to hold the new TV, I just removed the old stuff first and then put something back to look somewhat original.

Another thing to remember is that the mounts that are RV specific are expensive but residential models are just as strong and CHEAP. I have one in the bedroom of our Winnie that I paid $15 for on line.

Patio door locks, velcro, straps, bungees all work to hold the TV in place.

If you are not a woodworker, I'd suggest you contact someone and let them build any cabinetry needed. The removal is pretty straight forward and if you are at all handy you should be able to do it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Just now having a shop replace our old monster 2003 TV with a converter box with a 24 in. new flatscreen. They did a great job of trimming around the TV with oak, matching the MH. The TV is mounted on a bracket which allows pulling it out and turning as needed. Haven't used it yet and don't have the bill.
Jayco-noslide

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

This may bring up a question for you about leaving the HDTV sets in the trailer when the WX is below freezing... My trailer is a POPUP trailer so I bring mine in but alot of folks leave their's in the big trailers - They say to warm up the trailer first before turning one on... I guess they worry about the LCD screen possibly cracking ???

There's no problem with the LCD cracking from the cold, nor is there any reason they electronics cannot be stored in cold temperatures. Personally, I'd probably be more likely to have the screen crack from tripping or bungling while carrying it in and out than anything. The advice to warm up first is mainly out of (often excessive) concern about condensation on the TV circuitry when the TV is still cooler than the air in the RV. Any condensation that is there would be driven off pretty quickly from the warmth of the circuitry operating.

Many LCD screens don't perform as well at really cold temperatures, so colors may be a bit off and images may ghost more than usual and that sort of thing, but that's not harmful to the TV.