cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation To Replace Netgear Wifi Extender

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
currently using a Netgear WN2500RP to extend wifi in my home and it does a pretty good job. but because of the design and layout of the house the farthest room from the router and extender has minimal/spotty coverage. i have configured the extender to use the same SSID as the router to keep things simple.

the 2500 uses an internal antenna and i'm wondering if i were to replace it with an extender with external antennas would make for better coverage in that room. a requirement is that i can set the SSID to the same used by the router.

recommendations?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
10 REPLIES 10

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the Orbi. Absolutely love it and it covers my 4 level home and my entire large yard.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all tbe suggestions.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Orbi. Great systems. I have installed 2 of them at my kids' houses.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A mesh system will work and are designed and marketed as simple to use systems.

If you can run one Ethernet wire, I recommend access point(s) instead, specifically this Ubiquiti Long Range model. I have one Ubiquiti AC Pro plus my router, but want to replace the wifi built into router to the Long Range model.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
Like 2012Coleman said, you're going to want a meshed setup. I have Google's and it works great. I ditched all of my extenders for 3 of the google "pucks" - one on each level of the house. Connectivity is seamless and much faster than with extenders.
No - I didn't say he needed a mesh setup. The booster I bought and linked works with your existing router. I guess you could call it mesh, but if your simply looking to expand and boost your WiFi signal, this antenna booster is the way to go. No mesh router needed.

Sorry - I saw mesh in the URL and ASSumed. I like the mesh setups, though I haven't tried the booster you recommended.
Hey - no problem. ๐Ÿ™‚ I like the mesh setups too, but I have a newer router and didn't want to replace the entire setup. This worked out well for me.

But it does have a mesh router that sells as part of a kit with two of the antennas. Perhaps, that's why "mesh" is part of the name. Great product as it can be used with it' own router or the one you already have.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
Like 2012Coleman said, you're going to want a meshed setup. I have Google's and it works great. I ditched all of my extenders for 3 of the google "pucks" - one on each level of the house. Connectivity is seamless and much faster than with extenders.
No - I didn't say he needed a mesh setup. The booster I bought and linked works with your existing router. I guess you could call it mesh, but if your simply looking to expand and boost your WiFi signal, this antenna booster is the way to go. No mesh router needed.

Sorry - I saw mesh in the URL and ASSumed. I like the mesh setups, though I haven't tried the booster you recommended.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. iโ€™ll take a look at that. p
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this recently here:

2012coleman wrote:
Due to the placement of my router in my house, I've had poor WiFi reception in other areas of the house and outside by the pool. A friend told me about the AmpliFi HD WiFi MeshPoint range extender.

I bought one and set it up the other day. I now have extremely awesome connectivity throughout the house and to the edges of my property. No longer suffering from lag while streaming shows on the TV. It has an app for setup and shows what devices are connected.

This is not a repeater that has a different network name. It connects to your Wifi - needs the password, and amplifies the signal from your router. You can get more than one as they connect in series.

I did have to reconnect to Wifi on my devices - TV, Receiver, etc.

Saved me a lot of money as I didn't have to buy an entire mesh setup.

So yes - it connects to your existing router. Easy setup - just download the app.