cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow dolly

djgwilly
Explorer
Explorer
we just bought an Acme tow dolly for our trip south this winter. We took it out on a test drive and the tire straps kept getting loose, the straps seem to be stretching. This is a new dolly, is it normal for the straps to stretch. We had to tighten every 5 to 10 miles. thank you for your help
9 REPLIES 9

djgwilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your information. Very helpful.

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ACME that I just started using this year. I'm not tightening every 5 miles. I do check at every stop. I have noticed they are a little loose from time to time.

I'm considering putting a bolt on wheel stop behind my tires after the car is loaded. This would make the loose strap less of an issue.

But I over-engineer everything. So maybe it's not a great idea. Dunno.

Tows great though.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
That Acme stuff never worked for Wile E Coyote either.:)

You crack me up :B
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Yes new straps will stretch more than older ones. My straps are going on two years now and I still stop and tighten them. After loading car onto the dolly make sure when tightening the straps you get them really tight. After driving a short time stop and retighten. I have always had to tighten the straps one ore two more clicks on the rachett.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
That Acme stuff never worked for Wile E Coyote either.:)

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
We usually check and maybe tighten straps in the first mile or two, but stay tight after that. I can't say what the problem might be, but that shouldn't happen. In the manual the picture of the strap winch doesn't show it well, but on ours, the strap threads thru a slot on the winch drum which will keep the strap from slipping on the drum when tight. Just something to check.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Stop your vehicle about one inch from the stop then tight down the straps pulling the vehicle forward the last inch. Never had another strap loosen up.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just bought new straps from Master Tow for our dolly because the ones we had were to large for our Smart car. Used them to Pigeon Forge and back, about 800mi, and tightened them when I left to go and when I left to come back and they never came even a little loose. Make sure the car is all the way forward on the dolly and get the straps good and tight. Might be junk straps!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
From the Acme Owners Manual:

THE WINCHES SHOULD BE TIGHTENED BEFORE USE.

NEW WHEEL STRAPS WILL STRETCH.

CHECK ALL WHEEL STRAPS , RATCHETS & COUPLER AFTER THE FIRST FEW MILES. ADJUST IF NECESSARY. CHECK AGAIN EVERY TIME YOU STOP FOR FUEL OR REST.

Owners Manual
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate