cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your thoughts on the New Honda CRF 450 L

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Would you go Honda or KTM for a Dualsport?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus
32 REPLIES 32

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add to the plated comments. 04 CRF 450 R plated in AZ You need an AZ address and insurance in that state. Requirements in AZ even though they don't look a your bike. Brake light headlight horn . When you register your bike in AZ you can have that registration sent to any address. Mine cost $70 bucks for five years.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
You will mostly see these numbers on two-strokes and real basic four-strokes (like industrial horizontal shaft engines).

I have not found a particular VIN digit or string that tells you if it is road legal. Usually there is a database of NHTSA compliant VIN combinations and anything not on that list is by default not road legal unless you can prove otherwise.

Nope, the 8th digit is the killer in CA.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Bedlam
You will mostly see these numbers on two-strokes and real basic four-strokes (like industrial horizontal shaft engines).

I have not found a particular VIN digit or string that tells you if it is road legal. Usually there is a database of NHTSA compliant VIN combinations and anything not on that list is by default not road legal unless you can prove otherwise.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
nayther wrote:
WhitehouseLV wrote:
big Honda fan here! but that thing is a tank. lol. Stick with Honda for reliability.

If more trail riding and you like Honda would a 450X be more suited? They're fuel injected now and you can install a Baja Street Legal kit on it.

but you still can't legally plate it in most states.
If you can make it street legal why wouldn't you be able to license it?

i guess that's one of the benefits to registering things in Montana... you just tell them you need a plate, pay the registration fee and you've got a permanent.

but you still need a horn and mirror to go with the plates. technically a lighted plate to be legal on the roads.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

dedmiston
Bedlam wrote:
fitznj wrote:
Because some states (like NJ) will flag the VIN (I think it's the 8th
digit); This digit states that it is for off-road use only and you
can't register it.

The 8th digit in the VIN can show engine size, type or emission compliance but is not always the case. If it is a 3 or C, it is an off-road engine/vehicle with less pollution controls. Digits 4-8 in your VIN describe your vehicle, but each manufacturer uses this space a little differently.

https://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/vin_number_decoder.html

https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php

https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/vin-number-decoding

The 3 or C in the 8th digit of the VIN makes any bike a Red Sticker (limited season) bike in California.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info, you can license almost anything in Missouri as long as it's street legal. I guess it's like most everything else, states do things differently from other states.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bedlam
fitznj wrote:
can't register it.

The 8th digit in the VIN can show engine size, type or emission compliance but is not always the case. If it is a 3 or C, it is an off-road engine/vehicle with less pollution controls. Digits 4-8 in your VIN describe your vehicle, but each manufacturer uses this space a little differently.

https://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/vin_number_decoder.html

https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php

https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/vin-number-decoding

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies - I did not mean to imply that ALL KTM/Husky has issues with
making them street legal, only some models. I have a street legal Husky 350FE
but there are other Huskies which are not street legal.

I have friends with street-legal KTMs as well;
Gerry

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:

can't register it.

KTMs had/have this issue - there are ways around it - like getting
a Vermont reg. But just because it has a "street-legal" lighting
kit, does not mean that it is in fact street-legal.
KTM has been making street legal, in all 50 state, dual sport bikes for 12 years now, so it is not an issue.

There are many states that will not allow you to just put lights, mirror, horn on any bike and make it street legal so for those states the bike must be titled as street legal from the factory and have all the emission stickers, lights, etc from the dealer floor.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer

can't register it.

KTMs had/have this issue - there are ways around it - like getting
a Vermont reg. But just because it has a "street-legal" lighting
kit, does not mean that it is in fact street-legal.
Gerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
nayther wrote:
WhitehouseLV wrote:
big Honda fan here! but that thing is a tank. lol. Stick with Honda for reliability.

If more trail riding and you like Honda would a 450X be more suited? They're fuel injected now and you can install a Baja Street Legal kit on it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III

what kind of dual sport riding do you plan on doing? If more trail riding and you like Honda would a 450X be more suited? They're fuel injected now and you can install a Baja Street Legal kit on it.

My brother has a husqvarna and loves it! has owned Honda, Beta, KTM etc but says nothing beats his Husky. But he probably does more single track than true dual sport.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Another new edition of cycle news has a dual sport shootout.Cycle News
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys