cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trojan vs Interstate information

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was at Quartzsite, in 2015, I ended up replacing all 4 of my house batteries. The wiring configuration was typical, two sets of two in series, with both sets in parallel. I faced the never ending decision of Trojan vs. Interstate. So I decided to try to learn something and bought two of each. I got the Trojan T-105, and the Interstate GC2. Both are rated 225 AH, and both are of course, 6V. I put the two Trojans in series, and the two Interstates in series. It has now been almost 4 years, and so far, all are going strong. The only bit of partially useful information I can share is that earlier this week, I checked the water and all 4 batteries were slightly low and I added about a half cup of water to each cell on all 4 batteries. This is the first maintenance I've had to do on the batteries. (I love my Magnum 3 stage charger). I did remove all the batteries earlier this summer and cleaned out the battery bay and cleaned the battery connections. I'm not sure if the "low" water level means anything or not. FWIW, we are currently camping, but not dry camping and have FHU.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
11 REPLIES 11

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I do have a regular check schedule for my battery water level. My purpose here is to eventually report on which of the two manufactures begins to let me down first, given virtually identical usage and care. My original bank consisted of 4 Trojans and they all began to fail about the same time which is when this experiment began. I expect nearly identical life but will be curious which one "starts" the failure chain.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has their own preference for batteries. I have been using Trojan for over 20 years. First in my offshore fishing boats, now in my golf cart and motorhome. Most quality batteries will last many years with good charging and maintenance.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
garym114 wrote:
Adding water is very normal with deep cycle batteries, nothing to be concerned about.

Yep ^^
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Probably more important to have a good charging system and a routine check of water and cleaning and you have that covered. You should probably check water level more often to have a feel for water usage, not all systems are the same.
Adding water is very normal with deep cycle batteries, nothing to be concerned about.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Interstate's are more available here than Trojan's. I run Interstate's in my pickup truck too.

Costco has them (Interstate) by the 100's in stock. My guess, their price cannot be beat.
2012 American Coach Revolution

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Dekka is East Penn Battery

East Penn makes Duracell lead acid batteries (sold a Sams Club) and several other "private" brands.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There has been an "internet rumor" for several years that Interstate GC2 batteries are made by Trojan. No data to support that claim.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dekka is East Penn Battery
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RV came with INterstate.. Lasted 9 years

I now have DEKA in there

Low water is normal after a period of time.. Water is lost during the charge/discharge cycles. 3 years plus is a long time between "Drinks" My Deka's went 4 years - one month when new ( (THey are now 4 1/2 years old) Frequency of watering will increase with age.

OH. the Interstates took watering every mother's day when new but the battery bank is larger now and that reduces water usage.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate's are more available here than Trojan's. I run Interstate's in my pickup truck too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I have been buying Trojan T-105's for years for my MH and golf cart. My first set was $40 each about 20 years ago. Now they are approaching $200 each. This time I bought Crown CR-220's for 119.95 each. So far I'm impressed.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty