cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chromebook usage

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use a chromebook at home or on the road? What are the pros and cons? I need something in addition to my Dell laptop and am looking at options. Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of my Chromebooks (This one I think) did that "Refuse to work" thing one day.. a few days later I tried it again. Well like I said. I think it was this one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a solid state memory laptop for a do-it-all tool, as I like to keep things simple. I'd recommend the smallest screen - but high quality - laptop you can afford.

Since with a small laptop I have a real computer, I can do such things with it as:

- Boot up super fast in seconds because of it's solid state memory
- Store right on it, and instantly view, years and years of family and travel photos
- Fully process photos if needed with powerfull software such as Photoshop which resides right in the laptop's memory at all times
- Watch movies that I stream from the Internet or play from a compact DVD player that plugs right into a USB connector on the side of the laptop
- Surf the Internet via WiFi or surf the Internet through tethering through our smartphone when traveling
- Research RV routes and destinations with Internet access via Google Earth
- Research RV routes and destinations without Internet access via Microsoft's outstanding, free, and constantly updated built-in map application that shows almost as much detail as Google Earth
- Printout out anything on the screen via a small printer that plugs right into a USB connector on the computer
- Read books that can be streamed from the Internet or downloaded and read with no Internet access whenever I want
- Play music via streaming from the Internet or with no Internet access play music from whole CDs that I store right in the computer's memory
- It's battery lasts 3-5 hours and can be recharged from an RV's inverter or an RV's 12V wall receptacle

I wouldn't recommend anything but a full-on, but small screen, laptop for maximum flexibility and simplicity in a small package when traveling.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Google Pixel book. It's the $1000 dollar model, got it on sale for $750. I love the thing and can't put it down. It has an SSD and is very fast to boot and operate. As far as malware, if there's a problem, you press 3 keys and it instantly goes back to it's factory state. No need to boot into safe mode. This thing is fast fast fast. I have 2 PC desktops a nice Mac, but this chromebook is my daily driver now. I use the others for only one application which is a high speed Canon scanner. My brother in law got one of the 200 buck chromebooks, he took it back. I'm glad I spent the extra money and got the good one.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, speak of the devil and he shall appear.

After my post last night I went to power on my Chromebook and nothing. One of the kids must have ran the battery dead, I thought to myself. I pulled out the charger and plugged it in. Nothing.

Darn knock on wood moment. I guess Iโ€™ll have to open up my 3 year old Chromebook and try to figure out whatโ€™s up.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good opinions and information so far..just what I wanted! Am still considering so if anyone else has any input, please post. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, you've been a big help!!

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Chromebook, Pros, fast start up,did not need security ,cloud. Cons , poor apps,would not work with older MSN web sights or banking ,would not download from Amazon Prime or Pandora to listen music or play movies off line . So I bought a RCA 10 tablet viking pro. it uses Androd 6.0 has a mini HDMI port,keyboard. It is a little slow on loading but it dose give the ability to see movies and hear music in boondocking areas. You would be off getting something with a IOS or Androd sys.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to do the same thing here for same reason. I need to reduce the time my MAIN LAPTOP is online and do my daily routine with something like the chromebook or some other brand of 2N1 portable device...

My neighbor has the CHROMEBOOX and he has found all of the downside in advance for me haha... I also have been using a RCA TABLET alot here but its problem is I can only open two items at the same the same time...

My daily routine has some 20 items open that supports my multiple INTERNET SCANNER RADIO program, and several different folders I like to monitor all day long like this RV NET etc...

I also am using dual 24-inch monitors here and when using my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer I take along the same setup just like I am using here in the home computer setup...

I have decided to use a regular LAPTOP COMPUTER as my main stay daily operations and it will run my dual monitors just fine and operate all of my daily routine folders and programs just fine. If I get bombed out it will be very easy to reboot (worse case) to last good performance point on the daily laptop and not have any harm done to my main office laptop setup. I plan to bring up my mainstay laptop once a day to log in all of the emails and other important documents into my Microsoft OFFICE software...

As it has turned out my neighbor gave me a couple of really nice LAPTOPS that she was using for the grandkids to play with when they was visiting. One was a DELL on WIN7 and the other is an HP on WIN10... Both of these laptops have bad monitor screens and the HP WIN 10 monitor has a busted screen from being dropped. it still works but the view is unusable haha... Have no idea wha happened to the WIN 7 Machine. I can see the screen if I turn out all the lights and look very hard into the screen... Since I only open the laptops to turn them ON I will not be using the laptop screen for anything. As soon as the LAPTOP comes on my dual screen monitors comes up using one of those DEL D3100 "DOCKING STATIONS" then I can log-in just fine using my remoted wireless mouse and external KEYBOARD plugged into one of the D3100 USB ports... The Dell D3100 requires a 3.1 USB PORT to function properly. Both VIDEO and SOUND is passed through to the connected Monitors screens.

I recently picked up a 24-inch PHILIPS 3000-series portable TV unit for $98 from WALMART that also has an ext antenna port that works just fine off my OFF-ROAD POPUP BAT-WING antenna. I can select this port or any of the two HDMI ports so this moniter will be a great little jewel in my OFF-ROAD POPUP being used as my external 24-inch monitor setup...

I am just now doing this to my setup here and have ordered a nice USB FAN STAND from AMAZON to set the HP LAPTOP on (Using VELCRO) and it appears I should be able to 100% duplicate my daily OPS here using the HP LAPTOP and then switch to my MAIN STAY LAPTOP maybe only once a day for a very short time... I usually get one of those virus things while scanning some of the FACEBOOK ad's. There is one describing an RV OFF-ROAD unit and is a very nice looking unit and it has got me twice now... As soon as I open up the AD I get this very official looking "YOU HAVE BEEN HIJACKED" DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER and click on this link to resolve this problem... Of course when you log into that account they want $500 dollars ransom to release your computer back haha... Folks have told me they do get their computer back after sending them money but almost all of the data saved on the hard drive is gone... I have gotten away with just turning off my LAPTOP using CTRL-ALT-DELETE keys and rebooting...

Like others have said there is no SURE WAY to eliminate MALWARE but I think using a so-called throw away computer or CHROMEBOOK type device for your normal daily use periods will give you some protection... My game plan at least haha... That's the first I do each morning and it sets there until midnight monitoring my daily routine junk...

If I wasn't needing many folders to be opened at the same time just about any of the great TABLETs-CELLPHONEs-CHROMEBOOKs etc would work just fine for me... My 11-inch RCA TABLET monitors my football games just great both here in my computer room or outside in my OFF-ROAD Camping setup in my back yard camping spot running off my outside HOUSE WIFI setup. I can use my VERIZON MIFI JETPACK when on the road to create a 'secured' WIFI account anywhere we go and pickup VERIZON CELL TOWERS which is just about everywhere. Of course there will be a fee for this... If I would turn in my older NCIS GIBBs FLIP-PHONE I can use that for getting 'secured' WIFI INTERNET as well...

Now that I am finally going to do something different the new 5G COMMS package just coming out will probably do all of this for us haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Chromebook for 2 days. Returned it and got a real laptop. I tried to put GOOGLE Earth on my GOOGLE Chromebook and was told it could not be done. Must use the online version of Google Earth. I personalize my Google Earth with pins so I can find places without having to do a search for it every time. Can't do that with the online version. Couldn't load programs I use a lot. Must have internet connection to do almost everything. That is what made me decide, among other things, I didn't want a chromebook.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Chromebook and itโ€™s fantastic for most useage. Mine is a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and is about 3 years old or so. Itโ€™s been great.

Itโ€™s got a 13 inch display, 1080p HD display. Does all I need it to do.

If buying one now I would be inclined to buy a used Google Pixel from eBay.

However, my main on the go device is my iPad Air 2 with my keyboard case for the past year. Itโ€™s been by far the best most useful mobile tool I have ever used.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
My wife's Chromebook has a larger display than our HP laptop. A large variety of sizes, capacities, and resolutions are available.

The market must have changed since I looked at them over a year ago.

beemerphile1 wrote:
Personally I hate Amazon's operating system. You can't get around it.

Not a big fan either. It feels like I have to use a sledge hammer for nailing tacks.

90% of the time I am running Chrome. Mix in some Thunderbird email client (so nice having a consistent user interface across multiple email and no advertising in your face). Throw in a bit of snipping tool and paint and that is 99.99%.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
craftyfox wrote:
Does anyone use a chromebook at home or on the road? What are the pros and cons? I need something in addition to my Dell laptop and am looking at options. Thanks in advance.

Pros. Clean and Fast. I got my first Chromebook a couple years ago and went to a place with known very good wi-fi to set it up figuring I'd go there for breakfast and finish up after lunch like with my Windows boxes.. Right.. Well this Chromebook is sitting (just now) on top of a windows 10 machine.

In the time it takes the Windows 10 machine to boot and POST (Power on self test) Or. between giving the waitress my order in a very NOT busy Denny's and her setting my breakfast before me (Take your pick)

TOok the Chrome book out .. Turned it on. Selected DENNY's 5.0 as the Wi-Fi. (NO PSK needed) entered my Google log on and password and was up and running. the bookmarks from my Toshiba Windows chrome installation already in place.

Now they are NOT immune to malware. no computer is.. but.. Well.

Not much i stored on teh hard chip... (not a lot of extra space) and both of my Chromebook have been bitten by malware (at the same location. Dang glad I did not take the Win-box there)

I got into settings: Advanced: Power wash and then followed the procedure above (Select Wi-fi, enter PSK if needed, Log into Google) and not only was I back online.. but all the apps and bookmarks were .. Well it took all the app a bit to appear but they showed up promptly.

I"m sold. I now use the Win box when I have to. the CB's for everything else.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Most Chromebooks have small (13" or less) displays. Makes movie watch for more than one person difficult. Also, the displays are not the best quality.

For a couple hundred more, you can get an Amazon Fire 10 HD and add a wireless keyboard and mouse. Small display, but better than most Chrome books. Depending on what you wan to do "off line" you will likely have to add some apps. Even though Amazon wants to keep you "locked in" to their store, it is quite easy to install the Google store and other third party stores.

My wife's Chromebook has a larger display than our HP laptop. A large variety of sizes, capacities, and resolutions are available.

Personally I hate Amazon's operating system. You can't get around it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE my Chromebook. Over the years I have grown to hate MS Windows.

Chromebooks are available with different amounts of memory. You can store eBooks and documents on your own system for offline use. However, the system is designed to store most everything on the cloud and the system works great.

One glitch I have found is when I write a blog post offline and then go online, I have to correct the font and formatting before posting.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900