cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel pusher loses power going uphill

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Fleetwood Discovery 37 foot Diesel Pusher with 60,000 miles Last week we took a trip over Donner to Wheatland, Ca. And Bishops Pumpkin Farm.
Coming back, it ran great till we got into the mountains and started pulling hills and all of a sudden, I was down to 35 mph and had no power. We crawled up to the top of Donner Summit at 35 mph, when I got to the top, I stopped at the rest area and shutdown while using the facilities. After that it seemed to run better, but would still drop down in speed as soon as we encountered any kind of incline.
Does anyone have any ideas what to check? I am trying to avoid another generator situation, if it is something simple. Engine is a CAT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

MERRILL
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the others.

While it could be something else, the first step when power is limited under high fuel demand conditions is ALWAYS START BY CHANGING THE FUEL FILTERS.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I donโ€™t have a diesel pusher but Iโ€™ve had exactly those symptoms in two other turbo diesel vehicles and in both cases, marginally clogged fuel filters were the cause. They would flow enough fuel while cruising but when power demand rose to where lots of fuel was called for, they couldnโ€™t pass enough and they would go into limp mode, 35 mph top speed and took a week to reach that. Shut off and restart, and back to normal until you needed full power.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
As suggested fuel filters and air filter but how much boost were you seeing?

Any small leak in the plumbing for the turbo and the things will become slugs.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you checked your air filter minder/gauge?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
We had almost the same issue going up the Siskiyou pass. Ours ran okay on the down hill. Lost power on the up hill. Limped to the CAT shop in Redding Ca. The codes said low fuel pressure. They replaced all the fuel filters. Took it for a test drive. Still no power.
Changed the air filter. Poof. Back to full power.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel filters first, then air cleaner, then the CAC boots and clamps. Sounds to me like a restricted fuel filter though.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into exactly the same problem last year. It was my fuel filter, the aftermarket Raycor mounted in the back. I did not have too many miles on them but perhaps some dirty diesel clogged it. Now I carry spares for both engine filters. Mine is a Cummins but shouldnโ€™t be any different. As noted also check for any air intake leaks. Hope that is the cure.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No check engine light? If not, I would start with the basics; fuel filters, check air filter flow.

Turbo gate not workin* correctly should throw a cod3 (I think).

Now is the time for a Silverleaf diags system.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to guess your fuel filter is becoming plugged . My second suggestion is to check and possibly replace your air filter. Ether one of these could cause your power loss when pulling a hill .
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL