cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pot users not allowed into USA from Canada

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Tuesday the L.A. Times had a "Boo Hoo Poor Me" article regarding a Canadian who answered yes when asked by US customs if he had ever smoked pot, he was denied entrance. Canada is about to legalize pot use nationwide and Washington has approved medical pot.

So this guy and the Times seem to say, hey it's okay to smoke pot, so why am I not allowed into the US?

The Feds in this country have not approved pot for anything but medical experimentation, IT IS UNLAWFUL here.

Driving drunk is unlawful in both countries, in the US you are pretty much forgiven after a year, three for insurance premiums. Going into Canada it doesn't seem to be forgiven at all.

A Canadian can get a waiver for about $600 from US Customs. After an extended time (no one says how long we have to wait) an American can get a wavier for a DUI conviction from Canadian Customs. Cost is unknown to me but probably about the same.

What's the big deal, pot use is a federal offence here in the US, so follow our rules and you'll be okay. Get a DUI conviction in the USA and due to Federal Law in Canada you're not allowed into Canada, so follow their rules.

By the way you could lie to American Customs and get in, however, if you're driving a vehicle licensed to you, the Canadians automatically look up the record of the registered owner, including DUI convictions.

I am not an advocate for anything but following the laws is both Countries.

Times Story
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
33 REPLIES 33

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

Its a drug so I dont see why healthy people would need to use it.

For the same reasons people "need" to use other drugs like beer, wine, whiskey, etc.

free radical wrote:

Ive know someone who said it helps stop pain of arthritis...

It's the only thing that has controlled my back pain well for the past few years.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get that now. Thanks

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Walaby wrote:
I am NOT okay with a country establishing a criminal record for a citizen of another country, based on a crime that individual committed in the country of his citizenship, JUST BECAUSE the country decides they don't like how the country where the crime was committed punished the offender.

MDKMDK says that a US citizen with a DUI, by default HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD in Canada. That is my problem with it.

Mike

Itโ€™s seems youโ€™ve misunderstood what was said.

An American with a DUI conviction in the US does NOT get a criminal record in Canada, but neither does their criminal record GO AWAY when they cross, or attempt to cross, the border.

What is different is that US convictions are considered based on what the penalty would have been if they had committed that offence in Canada.

This is really no different than the point of the OP, a Canadian shows up at the border and admits to have been breaking the law in Canada and the border guard decides the person isnโ€™t of sufficient moral character to be admitted into the US. The Canadian is then being judged for his behaviour in Canada but by US standards.

No, I didn't misread or misunderstand, MDKMDK "quote" If an American has a DUI without the pardon equivalent they have a criminal record in Canada.

If Canada is denying access due to the criminal record they have in the US, okay, don't like it, but it's the sovereign countries right to admit who they want.

I hoped it was really the way you described, but since MDKMDK is a Canadian citizen, and was specific about it, I felt that needed to be challenged and clarified.

Mike

He misspoke, the only way you can have a criminal record in Canada, is to commit a crime in Canada.

I believe what he meant to say was that while you might not have a โ€˜criminalโ€™ (felony) record in the US, you would be considered as such in Canada.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Walaby wrote:
I am NOT okay with a country establishing a criminal record for a citizen of another country, based on a crime that individual committed in the country of his citizenship, JUST BECAUSE the country decides they don't like how the country where the crime was committed punished the offender.

MDKMDK says that a US citizen with a DUI, by default HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD in Canada. That is my problem with it.

Mike

An American with a DUI conviction in the US does NOT get a criminal record in Canada, but neither does their criminal record GO AWAY when they cross, or attempt to cross, the border.

What is different is that US convictions are considered based on what the penalty would have been if they had committed that offence in Canada.

This is really no different than the point of the OP, a Canadian shows up at the border and admits to have been breaking the law in Canada and the border guard decides the person isnโ€™t of sufficient moral character to be admitted into the US. The Canadian is then being judged for his behaviour in Canada but by US standards.

No, I didn't misread or misunderstand, MDKMDK "quote" If an American has a DUI without the pardon equivalent they have a criminal record in Canada.

If Canada is denying access due to the criminal record they have in the US, okay, don't like it, but it's the sovereign countries right to admit who they want.

I hoped it was really the way you described, but since MDKMDK is a Canadian citizen, and was specific about it, I felt that needed to be challenged and clarified.

Mike

He misspoke, the only way you can have a criminal record in Canada, is to commit a crime in Canada.

I believe what he meant to say was that while you might not have a โ€˜criminalโ€™ (felony) record in the US, you would be considered as such in Canada.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Tuesday the L.A. Times had a "Boo Hoo Poor Me" article regarding a Canadian who answered yes when asked by US customs if he had ever smoked pot, he was denied entrance. Canada is about to legalize pot use nationwide and Washington has approved medical pot.

I dont get it,, if smoking weed is legal in Canada why would anyone be denied entry into US as long you dont bring it with you?

The key is the โ€˜about to legalizeโ€™ part, it wasnโ€™t yet egal, therefore the person had admitted to criminal activity.

In a strange twist of irony though, Americans convicted of possession of less than 30 grams of pot are NOT denied entry into Canada. Thatโ€™s under the Canadian threshold.

As for the DUI issue, the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act ("IRPA") bars foreign nationals if they have been convicted of (or have committed) an offense that would be considered an indictable offense (roughly equivalent to a U.S. felony) if it occurred in Canada. So just like the story in the OP, if a Canadian border agent asked an American seeking entry โ€œHave been convicted of DUI?โ€ and the answer was something like โ€œNo, but boy am I lucky because Iโ€™ve driven a few times when I was really loaded!โ€. That would be grounds for the agent to refuse that person entry, they had admitted to criminal activity.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

So this guy and the Times seem to say, hey it's okay to smoke pot, so why am I not allowed into the US?

The Feds in this country have not approved pot for anything but medical experimentation, IT IS UNLAWFUL here.

Driving drunk is unlawful in both countries, in the US you are pretty much forgiven after a year, three for insurance premiums. Going into Canada it doesn't seem to be forgiven at all.

A Canadian can get a waiver for about $600 from US Customs. After an extended time (no one says how long we have to wait) an American can get a wavier for a DUI conviction from Canadian Customs. Cost is unknown to me but probably about the same.

What's the big deal, pot use is a federal offence here in the US, so follow our rules and you'll be okay. Get a DUI conviction in the USA and due to Federal Law in Canada you're not allowed into Canada, so follow their rules.

By the way you could lie to American Customs and get in, however, if you're driving a vehicle licensed to you, the Canadians automatically look up the record of the registered owner, including DUI convictions.

I am not an advocate for anything but following the laws is both Countries.

Times Story

I dont get it,,
if smoking weed is legal in Canada why would anyone be denied entry into US as long you dont bring it with you?

Fwiw I tried the stuff once,about 40 years ago,all it did make me sleepy and slowed my mind,so havent touched it since.

Its a drug so I dont see why healthy people would need to use it.
Ive know someone who said it helps stop pain of arthritis,some even claim it cures cancer..
Maybe Big Pharma is scared of losing busines seling drugs when Canabis does work better cheaper,,thats why such oposition to it

https://youtu.be/e5xyUIzARbQ

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Walaby wrote:

Mike

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
So eventually some US border guard is going to wonder why it is that when pot smoking is legal in Canada, non of the Canadians aspiring to enter the US have ever smoked up?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Lets clear up one thing, I have NEVER gotten a DUI, so I don't have a DUI.

To be clear on another thing, I am totally fine with if someone gets caught DUI in Canada, they suffer the consequences that the Canadian govt and law enforcement deems appropriate. REGARDLESS of citizenship.

And I am ALSO FINE if Canada decides to not admit someone from another country, based on information they have discovered about that individual. It's that countries right to decide who qualifies for admittance and who does not.

Mike

Well the US seems to be applying this to Canadians who merely admitted to breaking the law at the time without ever being charged or convicted. Basically they are telling someone who tried pot 40 years ago to lie. Doesn't seem like a productive exercise to me.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Walaby wrote:

Mike

This is a great description of how it works, my post was to mention that some, most likely a very small number of Canadians are crying about how it works if they admit to having used pot in Canada but don't understand how it works for us going to Canada with a DUI. So to them "BOO HOO".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
The prime minister admitted to smoking up ,why was he allowed to visit DC?

Because he, like all other heads of state, travels on a diplomatic passport.

You donโ€™t think politicians are subject to the same rules as us mere mortals do you? LOL.

When George W Bush was President he was denied entry into Canada because of a DUI he had on his record from his youth. At the time he was Head of State. The Canadian Parliament had to grant him a special wavier so he could visit.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:

Mike

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Being denied entry to another country is not the same as having a criminal record. Sovereign nations have a lot of latitude with allowing or not allowing foreigners to enter their country, and imposing restrictions on who can do so, and under what circumstances. You do not have an innate right to enter a foreign country, any more than you have an innate right to enter someone else's house or RV; rather, they have the right to welcome or shut out people as they see fit.

It's not a crime to have no visa to enter a country, but a nation can and many will deny entry if you don't have one. It's also not a crime in itself to be a citizen of any nation, but some nations restrict or prohibit certain other nationals from entering.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer