06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
30 REPLIES 30

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Sounds awesome to me, I hope they do it! Can't imagine having another hundred plus horsepower over what my 6.4 liter does already. My 6-4 already has tons of juice, so that would just be straight awesome. I hope it comes to be. I agree with the others, I didn't buy my heavy duty pickup truck to worry about gas mileage. It's designed to do work, and it does it very well. Just my two cents.

I would expect the HD version of this engine, if it's made, to make maybe 50hp more than the current 6.4 (if that).

But probably quite a bit more torque, and all of it at a lower RPM.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hammerboy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Spot on ib516!
From Magnum Dodge to Triton ford to Vortec Chevy to Hemi to Coyote Ford to 6.2 Ford to new 5.3 Chevy, mileage is all 8-9 mpg +\- 1 when towing and sort of significant trailer.

Mfgs leave little on the table anymore. No carb or timing issues to help or tank mileage or power. Gas n go.
If you're worried about mileage towing whether it's 2x a year or 200x a year, drive slower, stay home or get a diesel.

Couldnโ€™t agree more!

Gotta love the 15-20mpg towing guys!

Diesel is ok, but I want to make it to my destination without wondering when/where I will break down!

I don't know why you always bring up the diesel breaking down and leaving you stranded thing. I've owned diesels for nearly fifteen years including my 2013 truck that has the current emissions stuff on it and I don't worry at all about being stranded.

Dan

Same reason sidecar cr@ps on any vehicle that isn't his 1 or a kind 7.3 or unycorn 3500suburban. Phobia, old wives tales and /or pride of ownership.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I knew going in that my 6.2 wouldn't get good get good fuel mileage so I can live with it. Would I like to get better mileage? Absolutely.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Spot on ib516!
From Magnum Dodge to Triton ford to Vortec Chevy to Hemi to Coyote Ford to 6.2 Ford to new 5.3 Chevy, mileage is all 8-9 mpg +\- 1 when towing and sort of significant trailer.

Mfgs leave little on the table anymore. No carb or timing issues to help or tank mileage or power. Gas n go.
If you're worried about mileage towing whether it's 2x a year or 200x a year, drive slower, stay home or get a diesel.

Couldnโ€™t agree more!

Diesel is ok, but I want to make it to my destination without wondering when/where I will break down!

I don't know why you always bring up the diesel breaking down and leaving you stranded thing. I've owned diesels for nearly fifteen years including my 2013 truck that has the current emissions stuff on it and I don't worry at all about being stranded.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds awesome to me, I hope they do it! Can't imagine having another hundred plus horsepower over what my 6.4 liter does already. My 6-4 already has tons of juice, so that would just be straight awesome. I hope it comes to be. I agree with the others, I didn't buy my heavy duty pickup truck to worry about gas mileage. It's designed to do work, and it does it very well. Just my two cents.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Spot on ib516!

Couldnโ€™t agree more!

Gotta love the 15-20mph towing guys!

I used to worry about reliability with my 6.0L but I am not at all worried about that with my current truck. My family is quite happy now! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Never seen any FCA product or Diamler product that got descent mileage. Mileage isn't in their vocabulary.

Hmmm, I'm quite happy with the mileage that my truck gets, which is better than my Ford 6.0L, which was better than my 1996 7.3L....;)

I believe they are talking about a gas engine.

Well aware of that; was trying to prove a point, and my truck is a FCA product ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Spot on ib516!

Couldnโ€™t agree more!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Spot on ib516!

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
None of the 3/4 to 1 ton gas engines get great gas mileage.

And they all get 7-10 pulling a trailer. And what did the v10's and big blocks get pulling a trailer 15 years ago?

7-10mpg.

Not sure why everyone is so worried about the mileage. If I was buying a truck with a 7+ liter V8, I don't think gas mileage is going to be my first concern.

True! And, guess what my 5.4 L gets towing my trailer? like 8-9 mpg. And trust me, it works while towing. The difference in mpg while towing with any gas engine really doesn't seem to be that much with most combinations.

Funny you should say that.

My previous 6.4L Hemi Ram towed a 12,000#, mid profile 37 foot 5er and got 7-9 mpg depending on hills/wind, etc.

My current 1500 Ram 5.7L Hemi in my sig pic gets 8-10 mpg pulling a little 3500#, 17' hydrid TT (the Hybrid is an early model so it is a full 8' wide).

Over the 15 years I have been on these forums, I have seen the same mpg posted over and over. V8/V10/(or V6 turbo) gas engine in a full size truck - 7-10 mpg. Diesels, usually a couple ticks higher for the same size/weight load, in the 9-12 mpg range. I also find that people who claim much higher than that when pulling almost any RV (other than maybe a pop-up) are either being fooled by the truck's computer, or are just flat out full of it.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
parker.rowe wrote:

And they all get 7-10 pulling a trailer. And what did the v10's and big blocks get pulling a trailer 15 years ago?

7-10mpg.

Not sure why everyone is so worried about the mileage. If I was buying a truck with a 7+ liter V8, I don't think gas mileage is going to be my first concern.

Words to live by!

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:

7-10mpg.

True! And, guess what my 5.4 L gets towing my trailer? like 8-9 mpg. And trust me, it works while towing. The difference in mpg while towing with any gas engine really doesn't seem to be that much with most combinations.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:

Ditto.
It's a tow vehicle. Who cares what the MPGs are. Its job is to "do work" other than a commuter car.

A lot of people care about mileage. If you are towing an RV 3 times a year, probably not a big deal. But people who tow for a living or full time, the difference in 10 mpg versus 12 is a huge deal. Or people like me that have a 26 gallon tank, makes driving through remote area much better, easier to find a gas station.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:

Ditto.
It's a tow vehicle. Who cares what the MPGs are. Its job is to "do work" other than a commuter car.
Bob