cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GVWR & Towing

mrbrown4christ
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to purchase a 37ft Class A RV, and I want to make sure it can tow my tow vehicle. The RV is a 2013 Thor Challenger 37DT. On all the brochures I have found online the GVWR is supposed to be 22,000 with a GCWR of 26,000. But on the Title from the dealership, when the vehicle was purchased new in 2013 it had a "Scale Weight" of 24,582 lbs. This Scale weight is listed on the Vehicle Title. Is this a problem since the Scale Weight is over the GVWR, and how much additional weight can I tow?

This was confusing because I do not understand how Thor would manufacture a new RV 2,500 lbs. over the GVWR.
23 REPLIES 23

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, here's a question: Does that dry weight include a full gas tank and propane tank? If it does than you're basically in the same weight classes as we are: 18,800 pounds with fuels and 4,400 lbs. of vehicle. That means to stay UNDER the GCWR you have to keep your rig's weight and it's contents under 21,600 lbs (2,800 lbs of stuff). Adding in the 4,400 lbs. for the Explorer puts you at 26,000 lbs. GCWR.

If that "dry weight" doesn't include the fuels, then you should adjust appropriately. Probably about 100 lbs. for a full propane tank and 450 lbs. for gasoline. So people, food, water and stuff would then be reduced from 2,800 lbs. to about 2,300 lbs.

The above assumes your hitch, towbar, and other towing components are rated for at least 5,000 lbs.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:
So we had the RV weighed, and the dry weight came back as 18,800 lbs. What a relief, as this seemed like a very good deal and I hated to pass up on it.

The Dealer had no idea why the Title weight was completely off, and said they would get with their DMV lady to have the Title weight corrected accordingly.

With a 18,800 dry weight on a 26,000 GCWR Chassis there should still be enough remaining weight to tow my 4,400 Explorer. This is our first RV and we are looking forward to the adventure.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. I could not have purchased with any peace of mind without your assistance.

Well I am shocked it weighed under 19,000 lbs dry, sounds like it will be OK than but don't pack the RV with to much stuff, food, water, fuel, propane and personal stuff adds up fast.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
You will have 280 pounds more room than we have. I'm as new as you are to Class A's. I believe us to both be okay (just), but do watch closely in the future. You won't be able to go crazy.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:
So we had the RV weighed, and the dry weight came back as 18,800 lbs. What a relief, as this seemed like a very good deal and I hated to pass up on it.

The Dealer had no idea why the Title weight was completely off, and said they would get with their DMV lady to have the Title weight corrected accordingly.

With a 18,800 dry weight on a 26,000 GCWR Chassis there should still be enough remaining weight to tow my 4,400 Explorer. This is our first RV and we are looking forward to the adventure.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. I could not have purchased with any peace of mind without your assistance.

did you get individual axle weights?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mrbrown4christ
Explorer
Explorer

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:
Thank you for the great advice all of you have given me. I spoke with the dealership and plan on going there tomorrow to get the RV weighed BEFORE purchasing it.

Strangely enough I also called Thor (the manufacturer) and gave them the VIN# for the RV, and they said that RV left their factory brand new weighing in at 18,190 pounds. So they said the weight on the Title must be a mistake.

But I will be weighing it tomorrow to make sure before purchasing. Thanks again for your help.

Very good move! Please, if you can, post the actual weight if/when you get it. I would like to know.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:
Thank you for the great advice all of you have given me. I spoke with the dealership and plan on going there tomorrow to get the RV weighed BEFORE purchasing it.

Strangely enough I also called Thor (the manufacturer) and gave them the VIN# for the RV, and they said that RV left their factory brand new weighing in at 18,190 pounds. So they said the weight on the Title must be a mistake.

But I will be weighing it tomorrow to make sure before purchasing. Thanks again for your help.

I would be shocked it weights 18,190 lbs dry, and even if it weighed under the 22,000 lbs its still to light of a chassis, Thor should of at least put it on the 24000 lb chassis, the specs say it almost 38 foot long and with 3 slides, full of water, fuel, food, supplies its going to outweigh the 22,000 lb chassis for sure..

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thor may not have the best rep but they don't have a history of selling rigs that are overweight. Until you have the coach driven across a scale the only reasonable number to go by is the build sheet. The "Scale Weight" could have been as delivered by the contracted service which could have been a 20,000 lbs coach towing a 4582 lbs SUV the driver uses to return to the factory for the next delivery.

Get it weighed again or find the build sheet. Should look something like this -
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

mrbrown4christ
Explorer
Explorer

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 22k chassis, triple slide (Tiffin 34TGA). I took it to a CAT scale on my test drive. 19,080 completely unloaded. Do the same. I told the dealership my plans and they were fine with it.

I've been weighing and logging EVERY single item that we load into it. I think I have it all and have 550 pounds left for groceries. It works, but just. Once the kids leave, I think we won't have to watch as close, as that will clear up 6-700 pounds.

I believe you've gotten good advice above! Critical advice.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the numbers, NO, you CAN'T tow your vehicle. You only have 1,500 lbs. of available towing capacity.

But I echo tinmac, DO NOT buy this vehicle if it in fact is that overloaded. 2,500 pounds over the GVWR from the factory is just asking for trouble.

Our 2004 36' dual slide motorhome is on a 22,000 lb. GVWR chassis with a 26,000 lb. GCWR. Empty, it weighs in about 18,800. Fully loaded with people, water, food, clothes & stuff we're between 21,000-21,500 lbs. That leaves just enough for us to tow our Honda Odyssey (4,460 lbs.) and remain under all weight limits.

That rig should never have been built, if the numbers you posted are factual. Run away!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:
I am about to purchase a 37ft Class A RV, and I want to make sure it can tow my tow vehicle. The RV is a 2013 Thor Challenger 37DT. On all the brochures I have found online the GVWR is supposed to be 22,000 with a GCWR of 26,000. But on the Title from the dealership, when the vehicle was purchased new in 2013 it had a "Scale Weight" of 24,582 lbs. This Scale weight is listed on the Vehicle Title. Is this a problem since the Scale Weight is over the GVWR, and how much additional weight can I tow?

This was confusing because I do not understand how Thor would manufacture a new RV 2,500 lbs. over the GVWR.

Do Not Buy this Motorhome :

I just checked its specs and yes its a 37 foot motorhome with 3 slideouts on a 22,000 chassis, Thor went extra cheap on this motorhome, it should have been on a 26,000 lb chassis, my 33 foot motorhome with 2 slideouts sits on a 20,500 lb chassis and fully loaded I am 20,000 lbs..

I am sure that Thor is over weight before you load one item. :E

Here is a link to the Thor motorhome specs

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-thor-motor-coach-challenger-class-a-floorplan-37dt-tr14031

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I been towing and loading my old DP for nearly 20 years and never worried about anything except how well it went up hills and stopped. I worry more about what I can do rather than limit my options by concerning myself trying to find out what someone else says I can't do......My F-450 pick up pulls an open trailer with a 13,000lb John Deere tractor just fine. But that F53 may be a little slow going up hill. Get a lighter toad if you are worried

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
mrbrown4christ wrote:

IMO, it is entirely possible to buy a brand new RV that is overweight as it rolls out the factory door. RV's are not rocket science. A 37' Class A gasser with all the goodies? Really? I would EXPECT it to be overweight!

IMO, . . . forget what the paperwork says. The scales don't lie.

"Honey, I don't want it unless it has granite countertops. And I hate that plastic toilet." What about that stainless steel kitchen sink? No way, only a ceramic sink for this gal. What? No garbage disposal? I'm sure the dishwasher is hidden behind that raised panel. We're getting the slides, . . . right? That cheap vinyl flooring in the kitchen has got to go! What do you think of this tile? Isn't it pretty? Barbara and Jack wouldn't own a motorhome without leveling jacks, they come standard on ours don't they? How are my clothes going to fit in that mini washer/dryer? . . . . . . . . . ."

It all weighs something. (flame suit on)

Get the F53 spec sheet from Ford or whoever the chassis builder is. Everything you need to know will be accurately printed there.

Chum lee