cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Converter Problems????

tracey5290
Explorer
Explorer
New here...so thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

I have a 2012 Open Range 293R. It came with the WFCO 9865 converter. Since brand new, I would flip on the bedroom lights and the converter fan would blow. Shut the lights off and the converter fan would stop.
That was the only time I would ever hear the fan. Starting yesterday, I switched the bedroom lights on and the fan would start, in a few minutes the lights would start to dim and almost go out completely. Then I'd hear a high pitched squeak coming from the converter fan. I also have a 12V Deep Cycle marine battery that looks to be fully charged. I'm thinking that it is time to replace the converter, but I'm wondering why the fan turns on all the time that the bedroom lights are on, then turns off when I shut the lights off????
7 REPLIES 7

tracey5290
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ran most of the tests and it did turn out to be the converter. The power in my rv is now better than it's ever been. I think it was a weak or poor converter from the very beginning.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
tracey5290 wrote:
New here...so thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

I have a 2012 Open Range 293R. It came with the WFCO 9865 converter. Since brand new, I would flip on the bedroom lights and the converter fan would blow. Shut the lights off and the converter fan would stop.
That was the only time I would ever hear the fan. Starting yesterday, I switched the bedroom lights on and the fan would start, in a few minutes the lights would start to dim and almost go out completely. Then I'd hear a high pitched squeak coming from the converter fan. I also have a 12V Deep Cycle marine battery that looks to be fully charged. I'm thinking that it is time to replace the converter, but I'm wondering why the fan turns on all the time that the bedroom lights are on, then turns off when I shut the lights off????
I had that converter. It did the same with the fan coming on with the lights. When I switched to LEDs, that stopped.... I replaced it later as those WFCOs just don't work as designed. They usually are stuck at 13.6 volts. Most people replace them because they want the boost voltage to come on.. I replaced mine because it would never go into float (13.2) which was too much for phoenix's summer heat and was boiling off my batteries.

It appears that your WFCO has a problem. It isn't worth fixing. The power max I replaced it with was pretty cheap and actually works as designed. I suggest you do the same and just move on.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
may be a bad ground. Always check the ground first.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK now do the same tests without the battery connected and post the actual voltage during the test.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, I'm on my 4th trailer and have never had to replace a converter. My current one is the same as yours.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
The converter load prior to turning on the lights is charging the battery, operating propane detector, refer electronics, radio (even when off there is a little bit of a load). Maybe other 12v devices? Could it be working hard to keep an old battery charged? Is the battery original and 6 years old? What's the actual battery voltage when it's disconnected? The fan bearing may need lubed if squeaking.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter fan is there to cool the converter components that heat up during use
Converter sounds like it was having heat issues from the beginning

WFCO 9865 is rated to provide 65A of DC Power...should have been capable of full DC Panel load and charging of battery
Heat is generated as demand increases......fan is a variable speed current controlled design

So sounds like LOOSE wiring either at DC Dist Panel or on that light circuit cause of HIGH Current Flow when lights are on
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31