cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 ECO vs F250 for lighter 5th wheel

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
My GF and I are thinking about getting a larger RV. Just two of us 90% of the time. WE have thought about a small Class A and smaller 5th wheel. Really don't want another engine, drivetrain plus toad to deal with so we are leaning toward a 5th wheel. Favoring the Grand Design ( 8496 UVW / 10195 GVW ) but that may change.

This means getting rid of our current F150 ECO, which we love, as the payload is only around 1500lbs. Can't find a ECO with HD payload and HD towing. So here are the questions:

We can order a 2019 max tow / max payload F150 XLT with what we want for about 52,000 before discounts.

We can find a F250 2018 or maybe even a 2019 6.2 gasser for about the same money.

Not really wanting a diesel. 5th wheel will be 10500 - 11000 lbs max. We have not decided on one yet.

Towing max for the ECO would be 11,400, payload 2400-2600 depending on where you look. Towing max for the F250 is 12,500, payload about the same best I can determine.

We like the way the ECO has a lot of torque at low rpms and will climb a hill without screaming high rpms. Not sure how the 6.2 would compare.

Looking for opinions. What advantages / disadvantages would both have? How would either one handle a 10500- 11000 lbs gross 5th wheel? Actual weight would likely be around 10,000 max loaded since we only carry about 1000lbs of stuff with us.
24 REPLIES 24

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 150 for several years, for the past 3 years had a 250, would never go back.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the comments. Decisions decisions...

troubledwaters...hope you didn't think I took you comments wrong...your and all opinions are welcomed

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
F250 is stronger and about the same cost, so I bought a diesel F-350. Best vehicle I have ever had out of more than 30.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I went through the same exact thing recently. My 5er is 9300 lbs loaded with an 1800+lb pin. I really wanted the F150 HDPP to work and found one with 2300+ lbs for CCC. But I would be close when loaded with the wife and gear.
I decided to go 3/4 ton gas instead. Can't say it was a better decision since I never tried the F150, but it certainly was a good decision. I have a way higher upside for RAWR and tire rating. Went long bed as well and have plenty of room for other camping items.
Only have a little over 4,000 miles on the truck but I feel I could tow 10-11,000 with no issues.
FWIW I bought an 18 Ram 2500 6.4 4.10. The F250 6.2 should be similar as well.
What I like best is the feeling that my trucks not maxed out all the time when towing.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I use to tow a 28 footer with an 150HD from boarder to boarder. Every time I would give one of my 250 buddies a ride they would comment how nice the ride was compared to their truck. Still have the truck because it runs like a champ and the wife loves the ride. Something to think about if it's going to be your daily driver.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riven, "Bouncing around ideas" is really all I was doing. I have no idea how you will use the truck; now and in the future. I have an 02 , F250, with the V10; it tows my trailer wonderfully. It is also my Daily Driver. I am saving to replace it in about 2 years. My plan is (and has been for the last 3 or 4 years) to buy the F150 ecoboost, HDPP, 10 speed transmission. I will be within all the ratings of the F150. There are many reasons I will not be buying an F250 again. But the important point is, they are reasons that apply to me, and may or may not apply to you. You have to decide that for yourself.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters....It will be a daily driver I don't work anymore and no long commute or anything. Pretty much how I have been driving the F150, it is a 2013, purchsed in Dec when the 2014 were out as a left over, and has 63000 miles on it. Right now we have been going to the Florida Keys for a month or so in the winter. Some other shorter trips. With the new 5th wheel we may take a longer trip out west or somewhere each year. Still to be determined, got a medical issue to resolve. I think the towing miles is about 20% of the 63,000.

I have a MX5 Maxda also but only drive it about 3000 miles a year. Thinking about selling it. It is a 08 with only 44000 miles. May pick up a older small car that we can use for shopping runs etc.

We have not picked out a 5th wheel yet. Possible we might settle on something lighter / smaller and then the ECO would work.

Bouncing around ideas right now so we don't buy the wrong thing.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I agree the F250 makes sense, just hate to give up the ECO and would like the 10 speed tranny too.

lovetotow...thanks for the 6.2 info. Was hoping to get some feedback from sometowing with it. How is your non towing and towing mileage?
Are you using this for a Daily Driver and only towing occasionally or what? How many miles per year towing vs. non-towing?

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Burned up my brakes coming down Wolf Creek Pass in CO when the EB was new. It was the first time I'd driven the Rockies, or anything like them so it was more my fault then the trucks. I do know I would have felt safer with bigger brakes.

On my 2012, the extra payload pkg means 7 lug wheels. Not many options for brake rotors as opposed to the 6 lug.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

6 vs 10 speed...I don't think it's that big of an advantage. It's not like going from a 3 to 4 speed.

Especially not a big deal when hauling/towing unless you like keeping it in manual and pushing those shift buttons all day long. Keep it in auto and if any hills are involved, even slight hills, above 4th gear its going to skip through those gears quickly and probably never go above 5-6 anyway except when going down grade. The 10 speed is made for trucks being used as cars to get max mileage empty, such as hauling a load of groceries or soccer balls, or not towing anything.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2014 F150 w/ the 3.5L Ecoboost and HD pkg. It absolutely pulls great, but I only have a 6500 GVWR trailer. That little engine did wonderfully during my recently completed 2 month trip to the Rockies, from the 4 corners region, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, MT and SD. It never lacked for power in the high mountains due to the 2 turbos. My biggest problem out there was lack of natural engine braking. 3.5L does not provide a lot.

Never had one, but I'm guessing going down hill out in the Rockies, the 6.2 gasser might be better.

Now that I've probably made my last trip to the Rockies and beyond, if something happened to my F150 w/ Ecoboost, I'd replace it with a 6.2L gasser. That heavier truck platform does have some advantages over the lighter F150 platform.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The F250 will be a much better towing experience.

6 vs 10 speed...I don't think it's that big of an advantage. It's not like going from a 3 to 4 speed.

Yes, the ecoboost wins at low RPM torque but unless you plan to head out west and spend a lot of time in the mountains where the turbo will stop power loss due to thin air, it's not going to be a big impact. The 6.2 has plenty of power for the trailer you are looking at.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
If you can wait a year, rumour is the 2020 Super Duty will get a 10-speed.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I agree the F250 makes sense, just hate to give up the ECO and would like the 10 speed tranny too.

lovetotow...thanks for the 6.2 info. Was hoping to get some feedback from sometowing with it. How is your non towing and towing mileage?