cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible switch to 5th Wheel....Questions

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated......

Which 5th wheel hitch is the very best for strength and ease of use? I don't worry about cost when it comes to something this important.

I want around 27 foot Cougar as it seems to be discreet in having everything I would like and I'm thankful for any thoughts about insulation and the holding tanks being able to take cold weather

Are there any other brands that have better insulation, thicker walls that I should consider?

Thanks to everyone for your helpful thoughts It will help to make wise decisions while switching from a Truck camper.
44 REPLIES 44

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Back on topic, I had a sliding bar hitch at first, then switched to the B&W because I didn't want the rails in the bed when I wanted to use my pickup as a pickup.

Do not get a sliding bar hitch. They wear and then the trailer will "slam" fore and aft as you are driving. If you get a hitch with wrap around jaws, this doesn't happen. The sliding bar will be secure, but they aren't smooth.

I drove semis for 17 years, and have used a few different kinds of hitches. The Hollands were my favorite.

Since you are new, immediately after you hook up, go to the back of your pickup and look at your hitch and pin, to verify they are mated correctly. A pull test is optional, but always visually verify that things are correct before you pull.
Do this every time, without fail. I check, then do my walkaround to make sure everything is ready to travel, then check it again.

Same with the Star car LOOK, B&W LOOK, walk around, ready for flight.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back on topic, I had a sliding bar hitch at first, then switched to the B&W because I didn't want the rails in the bed when I wanted to use my pickup as a pickup.

Do not get a sliding bar hitch. They wear and then the trailer will "slam" fore and aft as you are driving. If you get a hitch with wrap around jaws, this doesn't happen. The sliding bar will be secure, but they aren't smooth.

I drove semis for 17 years, and have used a few different kinds of hitches. The Hollands were my favorite.

Since you are new, immediately after you hook up, go to the back of your pickup and look at your hitch and pin, to verify they are mated correctly. A pull test is optional, but always visually verify that things are correct before you pull.
Do this every time, without fail. I check, then do my walkaround to make sure everything is ready to travel, then check it again.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I back into my B&W jaws and the handle slams back. Grab the 5er safety brake wire and slip the lock pin thru the hole in the handle. Walk to the rear, take a look at the jaws and then plug the 7 wire cord into the truck. No need for a pull test in 5 seasons. It just doesn't get any easier IMO unless you're using an Andersen as far as not needing a pull test.

OMG!!! Are you actually saying itโ€™s not required to do a pull test with your hitch???

You are actually using your EYES as a verification TEST???

Ummm yeah. ๐Ÿ™‚

A few years ago on here when I mentioned "I" did not do a pull test instead "I" did a "VISUAL" test with my B&W I was slammed, told how horrible I was to say such a thing and by me saying what i did would cause others to drop their RV's and MORE.

I think there were several that used their God given brain and did what I was doing but were afraid to mention it because of all the nasty/negative comments I was receiving.

Disclaimer "don't do as I do" unless you are confident in your own "VISUAL" testing abilities. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I back into my B&W jaws and the handle slams back. Grab the 5er safety brake wire and slip the lock pin thru the hole in the handle. Walk to the rear, take a look at the jaws and then plug the 7 wire cord into the truck. No need for a pull test in 5 seasons. It just doesn't get any easier IMO unless you're using an Andersen as far as not needing a pull test.

OMG!!! Are you actually saying itโ€™s not required to do a pull test with your hitch???

Ummm yeah. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Using a B&W you know there is no way to drop the hitch if you simply make sure the hitch and pin box plates are touching each other, the hitch handle is closed and pinned/locked and a quick look to see that the 1" machined jaws are around the kingpin.

Do the above and there is ZERO reason to do a pull test.

Exactly!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never did pull test with my Hijacker sliding bar hitch and the same with my B&W, the design of the jaws and dual point cam that the handle is attached to is better much fool proof. As the jaws close around the king pin, the spring loaded handle turns so the cam points prevent the jams from opening. Pin the handle in the closed position and one is good to go.

Larry, I hope you are doing your pull test with the landing gear still down almost to the ground.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
memtb wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Ron how is yours different than our reese. Seems it does the same thing as you describe. I do a pull test because it is easy. Hit the trailer brake and try to pull ahead. Not that tough to do.

chevman PS will be going south again so of course the pull test will be done.

And.....you verify that the trailer brakes are working! ??

yes and will be the same every time we hook up. No reason to stop.
chevman

I have ZERO issue with your chosen method!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Ron how is yours different than our reese. Seems it does the same thing as you describe. I do a pull test because it is easy. Hit the trailer brake and try to pull ahead. Not that tough to do.

yes and will be the same every time we hook up. No reason to stop.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t know what your hitch looks like. I had a RBW before my last two B&Wโ€™s, I did a pull test on it for sure.

No reason to do so if your VISUAL test is done as I mentioned with a B&W.

Happy you are heading South!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wvcampers wrote:
I went from Reese to Andersen rail version. I recently traded trucks and the new one came with the B&W companion mounted with factory puck system. I have towed with it 2 times. I really like the Andersen due to the fact that there is no way to drop the trailer on the truck like you can with a traditional hitch. For beginners the Andersen is a much easier hitch to safely use and very easy to remove from the truck.

Using a B&W you know there is no way to drop the hitch if you simply make sure the hitch and pin box plates are touching each other, the hitch handle is closed and pinned/locked and a quick look to see that the 1" machined jaws are around the kingpin.

Do the above and there is ZERO reason to do a pull test.