cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Tow Dolly Question

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OK, maybe a silly question, but how long have most states required brakes on tow dollys? I'm in the market for one, and while I have NO plans to buy one without brakes, my wife asked how long has the requirement been in effect. Discussion came about because most of the used tow dollys do not have brakes, which is not a surprise...

Al
11 REPLIES 11

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Brake laws at state levels are about TRAILERS. They don’t address towed cars, boats, etc.

Legally, a tow dolly is looked at like more like a hitch accessory than a trailer hence no license or registration requirement.

That’s just a silly statement.

For example, Florida Statutes say;

316.003 (58)?TRAILER.—Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle.

- and -

316.261?Brake equipment required.—Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any combination of such vehicles, operating upon a highway within this state shall be equipped with brakes in compliance with the requirements of this chapter.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
I don’t think any states require brakes on dollies (or toads). The only state that matters is the state you live in, state reciprocity’s and all that.

Reciprocity does NOT cover things like a vehicles weight, brakes or registration. That is State by State law.

The only place it’s close to covered is States or Provinces that don’t require a front license plate.

It is correct that registration is not REQUIRED but that doesn’t mean they don’t allow it, you can certainly get it registered and get a title and plates issued for it.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I would just get one with brakes, only makes since cause States do change laws on towing as time goes on..

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The laws of physics apply in all states. Towing a 3,000+ lb toad will increase your braking distance if there's no auxiliary braking system to assist with the extra weight. Perhaps with a 40+ ft DP it might only be a few inches more, but if that's the difference between a hot or a miss...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“state reciprocity”

Not on brakes, lights, weight, mechanicals etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I don’t think any states require brakes on dollies (or toads). The only state that matters is the state you live in, state reciprocity’s and all that.

Reciprocity applies to licensing and registration, but not to equipment requirements. You can't double tow in Vermont without a CDL, even if that's permitted in your own state. Similarly, laws regarding trailer brakes or snow tires apply to all drivers, regardless of where they come from.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brake laws at state levels are about TRAILERS. They don’t address towed cars, boats, etc.

Legally, a tow dolly is looked at like more like a hitch accessory than a trailer hence no license or registration requirement.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a silly question. It doesn’t matter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
In many states it is about weight. I would never tow with out brakes.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bruce_Brown
I don't know as all states do require them. I believe it's a state by state issue.

I could be wrong.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910