cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any way to restore shine to fiberglass body

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
The PO left it outside so the fiberglass is chalky ,,, any easy way or way to restore it ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
10 REPLIES 10

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is really bad a simple cleaner wax is not going to do the job. Go to a marine store or an online marine supply store like defender.com for products like 3M compound specifically made to restore chalky neglected gel coat. No there is no easy way. Neglect takes work to bring back
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Buff & wax...standard stuff, just lots of work and once it's been allowed to get chalky, you will have to do it more often to keep it under control.
X2
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Is it gel coated? if so the Meguiar's Marine/RV Onestep works great. I use a DA buffer for it and follow up with Starbrite Polish a opposed to wax. Wax looks nicer but doesn't last as long. Not easy but it works.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buff & wax...standard stuff, just lots of work and once it's been allowed to get chalky, you will have to do it more often to keep it under control.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harbor Freight get a dual action polisher (don't forget to use your 20% off coupon) watch a few videos on you tube by auto detailers. One even does a test on the Harbor Freight polisher. Then use Meguires Flagship cleaner wax.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend use of the Zep/RMP - worked wonders on my 92 rig which still looks better than some of my friends newer rigs. You do have to do the prep work as outline in the previous post but that prep work was easier than other alternatives.
Kevin

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a 2013 winnebago
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of products used in the fiberglass boat industry that would work. I used Poly-Glow on my previous RV. Lot of hard work using the stripper to get all the wax, grime and stains off, but it did remove the oxidation. (The stripper comes with the Poly-Glow kit.) After that you apply the Poly-Glow in multiple applications - it takes 4 or 5 before it really starts to look great. They claim it lasts for a year or longer on boats that are subjected to direct and reflected sunlight.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Takes lots of elbow grease too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What year is the unit? If it's older, I would use the Zep/Red Max Pro process.
After you get it cleaned and the oxidation removed, USE THE WAX OF YOUR CHOICE.
Some don't like to use floor wax on their rig.
It did a nice job on our 96 Southwind.