Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions for the areas
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus
16 REPLIES 16

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The Tower of the America's is in San Antonio.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
All the above are great. I would also suggest a free presentation called THE SAGA. It is shown on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 9pm, 9:30pm and 10pm. Played on the facade of the San Fernando Cathedral in downtown San Antonio, this laser music video presentation chronicles the history, culture and uniqueness of the city dating back to it's native inhabitants up to present day. You'll marvel at the music and brilliant art on the already beautiful face of the Cathedral. Tuesdays are my favorite night to go because the Downtown Tuesday program offers free parking from 5pm onward. You can park at the lot above El Mercado, the location of Mi Tierras mentioned by several others and after a meal, walk a few minutes over to the cathedral. San Fernando is right above a riverwalk entrance so you can also add the riverwalk to your visit.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ฆ. just in case you have more time:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60956-Activities-San_Antonio_Texas.html
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great ideas have been given here, but it really depends on the time of the year you will visit, your interests, and whether you are traveling with kids.

Brackenridge Park with its zoo and mini-train have been a favorite of mine since I first rode the train into San Antonio in 1954. It could be your favorite too if you are there for its Octoberfest.

My favorite San Antonio mission has always been San Jose. Has beautiful grounds and an amazing Rose Window. I prefer it over the crowded, over-the-top Alamo.

Finally, the Tower of the Americas will give you a great view of the city and the Hill Country to the northwest. And you can even have dinner up there at the Charthouse. But don't bother unless it is a bright, sunny day!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't forget the CAVE TOUR....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice on SA! We have lived there since 1965 and still enjoy new places to visit. As a golfer, lots of great courses managed by Alamo City Golf Trail. For theater, the Majestic or Tobin have shows every week. Every SA resident has their "go to" Mexican Food place--just ask around. And lots of friendly folks who live there will say Howdy!

Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with all of the above. Texas Roadrunner pretty much nailed it.

If we are on the riverwalk and want a light meal we'll stop at Casa Rio and order their combo soup and salad with a margarita. We love their tortilla soup and Ensalada de Colores. One order is enough for the two of us. The Hard Rock Cafe nachos and margarita's are really good but pricy.

Market Square and Mi Tierra is a must if you have not been, try the pastries at Mi Tierra. We were dining there with some fiends a few years ago. One of our friends pointed out a person in a large mural of faces on a wall and said that is her great uncle. She shared an interesting historical story of him, her family and Mi Tierra.

We like to drive through the King William area and look at the houses. Many are of old German design. San Antonio had a large German influence in its younger years. The homes don't seem to fit the surrounding area, but beautiful none the less.

Welcome to Texas
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I was in San Antonio with my wife and some friends and we went to Mi Tierra mexican restaurant. What a Hoot! VERY touristy, but just a lot of fun! Big place, lots of eating areas, each with different decor - and the decor sometimes is eye-wateringly colorful! Wandering Mariachi bands (there were 3 when we were there). They also have a gift shop / bakery / treat section with good stuff to buy - my son fell in love with their hot chocolate that has a hint of cinnamon. It comes in bar form - looks like a candy bar - and you melt chunks in hot milk.

We had a blast, I highly recommend the place. Even if it looks crowded, the wait for seating was short and they seem to be very capable even when very busy.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
The Mission Trail is spectacular. There are 5 missions, including the Alamo. The Alamo is the only one in the city, the others are spread out along the river. Once you enter those grounds, it's like you are back in the 1600's. You can walk the grounds where the Indian children played and had religious lessons, etc. Some of the chapels are still in use today for special events. A baptism was taking place at one when we visited.

Really enjoyed visiting. We also did the Mercado. We were there on New Year's Eve one year and there were bands set up in the street and Mariachis roaming the streets playing for people.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
The Missions, in particular the Alamo and Mission San Jose. The Menger Hotel and its historical bar. This is next door to the Alamo. There is also Sea World and Fiesta Texas if you have any interest in amusement parks. The Pearl, which is just north of downtown. There are restaurants, bars, and shops in thie newly renovated home of the old Pearl Brewery. On the weekends there is a great farmerโ€™s market. It is fun to visit the a Hotel Emma which is housed in the old brewery itself. Most of the buildings there housed various parts of the brewery operation, the stables, etc. We enjoy the botanical gardens and have attended various concerts under the stars. The McNay Art Institute is worth a visit as well as The Institute of Texan Cultures and the Witte Museum. The Briscoe Museum of Art is also really good. (Briscoe is closed on Mondays). For good Mexican food, stay away from the Riverwalk, however, Boudroโ€™s has good southwestern food and it is on the Riverwalk., good Margaritas too. Mi Tierra and La Margarita in the Mexican Market are touristy, but fun and the food is pretty good. Mi Tierra has a good Mexican breakfast. Another fun place for breakfast is in the Guenther House which is part of the Puoneer Flour Co. The home is the home of the founder and has been restored. Tours as well as breakfast are available. It is in a charming part of town where many of the prosperous German Merchants of the 19th century built their homes, many of which are on the river. This part of town is known as the King William area. There are art galleries and some good restaurants here also. PM me if you have further questions.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Missions trail.
You can rent bikes along the way, and the route goes along the river. The missions are just amazing.
Also the Alamo is not to be missed.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum
World's Largest Cowboy Boots. North Star Mall
Buckhorn Saloon and Ranger Museum
Rowdy the Roadrunner
US Military Dog Monument
Lackland Air Force Base
Wooden Nickel Museum
The Pig Stand @ 1508 Broadway Street
The Alamo
Menger Hotel
And if you like golf - there's always Monster Mini-Golf

Need more? I have more...just ask...:B...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Restaurants. Puffy tacos.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for San Antonio tourism.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)