cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with windows open?

Shultzy
Explorer
Explorer
This seems like a silly question, but is it ok to drive with the awning type windows open on the coach?
18 REPLIES 18

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:
I believe he was talking about the new frameless windows so many are using. They look GREAT, but the inability to really open them up would be a concern to me. We're the people who prefer open windows and a nice breeze over running the AC.

There is an easy mod to get the Kinro / Lippert bonded windows to open more, over twice the distance actually.

How to break your Kinro / LCI bonded window in 30 seconds or less

This guy in the link shows you basically how it's done but he misses something. You do not want to remove the entire spacer strip and throw it away, you want to trim it shorter and reinstall it to limit the amount they can open. It's trial and error based on the height of the glass pane.

Once you get the strip out slide the glass back to center then open it to the point just before the glass binds into the aluminum extrusion at the top hinge (The one mounted to the sidewall you removed the keeper screw from). Then measure the distance between the rollers, trim the spacer, and reinstall it. If the window is allowed to open too far as in this Youtube video, it will bind itself against the trailer side hinge channel, eventually causing the glass side extrusions to pull loose from the glass pane, as it's only glued to the glass, or the operator arms to bend / break.

The LCI windows on our 17 Rockwood only opened 3" or so, they now open 9" and it makes a huge difference.

I would not roll with them open as the spring steel used for the operator arms, and the rivets that hold them together, are the cheapest materials LCI could lay their hands on.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bruce_Brown
I believe he was talking about the new frameless windows so many are using. They look GREAT, but the inability to really open them up would be a concern to me. We're the people who prefer open windows and a nice breeze over running the AC.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I believe those are called 'jallosed' Windows

But driving with windows open always seems to create too much noise and too much dirt inside
I thought so too, but they are closer to awning windows. Jallosed are multiple panes that overlap each other.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

MrWizard
I believe those are called 'jallosed' Windows

But driving with windows open always seems to create too much noise and too much dirt inside
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the windows happen to be Kinro/Lippert "bonded" windows its a bad idea. The hinge and hardware are "bonded" to the glass, as in bonded with an adhesive. Leaving them open while rolling is asking for losing a piece of glass. The operating hardware is cheap and prone to failure just from normal use. Adding additional stress to it is probably not good.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Single biggest issue is the influx of dust. Everything will be covered with a layer of dirt.
Been there, done that!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Open windows would also bring in dust.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Also you can run the generator and roof air while traveling if the dash air isn't keeping the coach cool enough.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
The DW will sometimes open the passenger slide window and if the mutt begs enough the DW will open the slide window over the couch so the mutt can smell for other dogs. Never had an odor problem unless we are passing a dairy or cattle yard.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ah, never thought of that. I've never actually traveled with anything open.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
For the same reason as Bruce we always keep all windows and vents closed. Learned that early on.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
On my older coach, even having a vent open will draw a vacuum on the bus and make the windows flex and click. This drives the DW nuts.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bruce_Brown
A bigger issue will be stink. With the windows open you'll cause low pressure inside and your inside will become the best system vent you have. The smell of the tank vents isn't too appealing.

And yes, we learned that years ago when we were rookies, just as you might think we did. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never drive with any windows open - too much risk to the windows and/or screens. I will, however, drive with roof vents open (we have good vent covers on them to protect the flimsy hatches that come with the OEM vents and fans).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015