cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Jacks sticking not going all the way up

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has Jacks underneath. What the best lube to spray on them to stop them from sticking not going all the way up? Or what do you do if this happens?
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
12 REPLIES 12

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
My MH has Jacks underneath. What the best lube to spray on them to stop them from sticking not going all the way up? Or what do you do if this happens?

I spray them with either PbBlaster or TriFlow; I can't remember (might have actually used both by now).

The "recommended" lubrication was a silicone spray; it did NOT work.

ATF is a great recommendation, but I don't know of any that comes in a spray can; and I don't plan on crawling on my knees for the application.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Which HWH system do you have?

Use ATF if anything. Lubrication is probably not what you need?

Listen to what Doug says.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
Could be that you have a weak spring on that jack. I had to replace one on my coach.
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
EXECUTIVE.....X2. WD 40 like most petroleum products does "attraact" dirt, sand, and other bad guys to the jack "piston".

Use SILICONE spray. On the chrome pistons and the springs At least 3-4 times a year. (I do this before leaving the campground.) That chrome piston gets a scratch from dirt, sand, whatever, it will, in time wreck the O-rings....then time for a rebuild or replacement. Neither one is cheap.

I also use silicone spray on anything else that moves...like the slide-out mechanism.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do NOT use WD40 on your jacks. WD40 acts as a dirt magnet. Most jack mfgs suggest soaking a rag in tranny fluid and wiping the arms once they are extended....I used to use a dry silicone lube same as on your slides.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Big Redneck wrote:
Its a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 28 foot Hydraulic leveling Jacks that came on the Motor Home when new. code 64H. That all I can tell you.

The jack Touch pad has the Name on it. Can't give you good advice if you can't give us the Brand of the jacks. Doug

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 28 foot Hydraulic leveling Jacks that came on the Motor Home when new. code 64H. That all I can tell you.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

Dr_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with use of a dry lubricant on jacks and keep them clean. Have you checked that the hyydraulic fluid is up to full level. Usually should be checked when the jacks are fully in the up position. Most MH hydraulic jacks use an appropriate grade of ATF.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Glad your jacks are underneath, instead of on top:B Depends on the brand of jacks you have. Do you have the 2004 Winne? If so, Winne usually installed HWH jacks. So, what brand jacks do you have. Doug

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have "Big Foot" jacks. I use silicone everytime I go to bring in the jacks and for maintenance. You do NOT want to use any oils that attract dirt. Before applying the silicone I wipe the jacks down with a paper towel. You can also use spray on Teflon.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
If they are hydraulic jacks wipe them down with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or hydraulic jack fluid. This lubricates the seals on the jacks.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
WD40, run the jacks all the way extended, then spray on WD40, then retract the jacks. May have to do this a couple of times.

If you have one that is particularly sticky you can get a scissor jack and put under it to raise it.