cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Air Conditioner Seal maintenance.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inquiring about proper procedure for the seal between the roof top AC and the roof… I have maintained and resealed all the vents and other roof items and do not want to neglect the AC seal.

On a previous camper I removed the AC and bought a new seal for it and IIRC, the sealing of this component is some type of “compression” gasket that makes the waterproof connection. I also recall that this must be maintained occasionally by tightening the AC from the inside… (is that correct?)

I have never tightened the AC fasteners and am assuming that previous owners never did. Should I now start to tighten them down to insure the seal? Should I remove the AC and install a new gasket? Where I live, there is a possibility of a gasket drying out/ deteriorating.

I would like to perform ant maintenance on this before winter sets in…. thoughts/ comments?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
8 REPLIES 8

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
If it hasn’t been leaking tempting to leave it alone. If you tighten, go 1/4 turn, no more reqd.

Mine have loosened twice, so the last time I tightened them I put blue threadlock compound on em.

My guess is they didn’t loosen, the gasket compressed.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
These are the bolts from inside when the AC internal cover panel is removed. It is what holds the AC in place.

I recall some where that when installing the AC that the tightening of the fasteners causes the AC housing to contact a compress able gasket and that over time the bolts should(?) be tightened to insure the integrity of the sealing.

It is not leaking on mine, but I am tempted to remove and replace the gasket to insure it is in good condition.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Arctic Fox 1150, are these bolts you access from within the camper or up on the roof?
I never even thought about this before.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on the brand, most have a torque spec for the mounting bolts,
mine is 40 to 50 INCH pounds
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
If it hasn’t been leaking tempting to leave it alone. If you tighten, go 1/4 turn, no more reqd.

Mine have loosened twice, so the last time I tightened them I put blue threadlock compound on em.
Bob

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last thing you want to do is to crank down on them.

The seal is thick and meant to seal around the curve of the roof. Too tight and you squish it on the top.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm....I have never touched the ac bolts on my 21 year old trailer.
Actually don't run them down tight. Just enough to compress the gasket according to instructions others have posted.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the AC bolts for the first time last year. They were quite loose. Best to check them. The seal still looked like new so I didn't touch that. No leaks.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne