cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future newbie looking for quality toy hauler for retirement

clevebrowns
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! We are looking to travel extensively in retirement with our Harley and 2 dogs. We've been life long carotenoid and would like a WELL constructed toy hauler to live in, but I cannot find any definitive advice on which toy hauler to buy. We presently own a Dutchman pop up and really realized how poorly made it is. We don't want to repeat buying a shabbily constructed camper again.
23 REPLIES 23

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Convert a enclosed trailer.. I wish Id never sold my featherlite toyhauler..
12 valve ram

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many threads with people complaining about the poor quality of rvs. The manufacturers that built quality have nearly all gone broke. When there was quality being offered few were willing to pay for it. Does DRV still build a quality unit? We chose to buy an older unit that we can customize to our likeing.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cosmic_Artifac1
Explorer
Explorer
I think a custom build is really the way to go now even though we all start somewhere... It can be really fun planning and even executing the build or most of the build oneself if one has the means. My future plans for a TH are going to be based on a Loadrunner from Interstate, those trailers are real work horses and they're made to be used in service or for work everyday so they hold up really well. I am still building out and modifying my starting rig though right now but it has given me great ideas and experience of what I want and things I need for the future.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at these guys for my future needs. They custom build for you.

Check out some of their YouTube videos. DuneSport

Give them a phone call.

Cosmic_Artifac1
Explorer
Explorer
clevebrowns wrote:
Hi all! We are looking to travel extensively in retirement with our Harley and 2 dogs. We've been life long carotenoid and would like a WELL constructed toy hauler to live in, but I cannot find any definitive advice on which toy hauler to buy. We presently own a Dutchman pop up and really realized how poorly made it is. We don't want to repeat buying a shabbily constructed camper again.

I'd say the best bet would be to look into as many Cargo Trailer conversion as you can. It didn't take long to figure that out for myself with my rig after being in some really heavy duty Haulers out on the trails.

My first travel trailer version (what I am pulling now) will likely be my last travel trailer conversion.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
ATC. That being said, anything that is all metal top to bottom. Wood is a huge issue over time.Especially the floor. Stay away from slides. I likr the horse trailer concept as well.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmanSport ~ Great points I sure a lot of people never even thought about this:

(How about winter camping in the snow? Snow on the slide out is a pain to remove.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

taken
Explorer
Explorer
DRV Full House makes a nice unit. Very expensive like all their lines but a step up in quality from the rest with a boxed frame as well as some residential fixtures and finishes. Stepping down from there, I really like a few floor plans from GD and they are known to be very helpfully after the sale with CS. My brand of XLR Thunderbolt is good in the service after the sale dept too but their 5th wheel hauler line has gotten very thin the last couple years and there really isn't one in their lineup that excites me currently.

As to ramp door failures, yes the LCI units have a higher than acceptable failure rate. Many brands have gone to MorRyde's Zero Gravity ramp door in place of the Lippert unit. It's a much better system with a lower incidence of failure. A friend of mine with the same RV as I have recently had his LCI ramp fail. I happened to be there when his door was swapped out. When the old door was cut up to go in the dumpster, I was shocked at the construction. The entire center of the Lippert doors is strictly foam with 1/8" laminate over it. No center supports whatsoever either vertically or horizontally. I can't fathom how they get the weight rating they do out of foam, laminate, and fiberglass. It must be "structural foam".... :R
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

dedmiston
If I were researching fulltiming while shopping for a new rig, I would research service quality and warranty service along with the initial build quality. If I found a unit that I liked, I would call the factory and ask them how they handle warranty service during long term travels (don't say "full time" though, because that could void your warranty). And then I would sock away some extra funds to pay for motels when the rig will inevitably need to go in for service.

And as for the slides...

I looked at a lot of fifth wheels with slides and I don't recall seeing many or any where you could walk from stem to stern with the slides in. We can access the bathroom in ours with the slides in (and that's mandatory to me), but we have to deploy the living room slides to get to the fridge. We also can't walk to the garage with the slides in, but the garage has its own door. The bedroom slide blocks my side of the bedroom closet, but I can just pile my stuff on the bed when we're packing if I don't feel like deploying that slide.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
clevebrowns wrote:
@dutchmansport why would anyone need to be able to walk thru the rv w/o opening the slides? If u don't mind me asking. My DH and I are wondering if this is something we need to keto an eye on.

Not directed to me but... you dont want to have to pit slides out to load refrigerator or get to bathroom or bed room while traveling.

Exactly!

Examine your intended RV with the slides in. When slides are in, is the hall way from the kitchen to the bedroom blocked? Is the refrigerator blocked, the sink, the bathroom. Can you access the bathroom with slides in. If no, you may find yourself in a situation where you are not able to extract the slides and need access.

Overnighting in a parking lot. At home, if parked beside your house and there is not enough room to extend the slides. When traveling, and you just pull over the side of the road to use the bathroom. If you loose all electricity, battery goes dead, or you store your camper in a storage facility and have to pull the battery becasue of theft.

Then there is winter storage, pulling the battery, and if you need to access the camper.

If you sleep in the camper for an overnight, and you don't want to extract all the slides, can you get from the bed to the bathroom to the kitchen to the living room area without going outside from one access door to another?

My RV dealer recommended very highly, before extracting the slides, to make sure the stabilizer jacks were down on all 4 corner first. We have, on many occasions, done an overnight at KOA's where did did not unhitch. But the stabilizer jacks were always down before extracting the slides. Granted, with some RV's this may not be a problem. But suppose you are parked on a slope, right-left, unlevel and extracting the slides could cause a bind, and then you are in trouble.

How about when a very agressive wind and rain storm aproaches and you want to pull the slides in while camping to reduce the amount of space the wind hits? How about winter campering in the snow? Snow on the slide out is a pain to remove. When camping in the snow, slides are always in. Plus the reduced square footage with slides in makes heating and air conditioning easier in the reduced space. In extreme hot or cold weather, pulling in the slides to use the camper is a tremendous help.

Lots of reasons you would use the camper with slides in. And if you have to go outside to go from the bedroom to the kitchen because the kitchen slide with the refrigerator is blocking the hall to the bed room, and then the center island is blocking the refrigerator so you can't open the door of the refrigerator, or any cabinets, what good is it.

Lots and lots of reasons to consider the functionality, and the "what if's" with slides in. And for all the reasons mentioned above, except storage in a storage facility, we've experienced all of these. But mostly, sleeping an overnight with slides in, or pulling slides in in really threatening weather....we can still access everything. So, we are looking for the perfect front living room 5er that will allow access all the way from front to back with all slides in. (Haven't seen one yet).

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wild Card wrote:
clevebrowns wrote:
@dutchmansport why would anyone need to be able to walk thru the rv w/o opening the slides? If u don't mind me asking. My DH and I are wondering if this is something we need to keto an eye on.

Not directed to me but... you dont want to have to pit slides out to load refrigerator or get to bathroom or bed room while traveling.
The bathroom availability is most important, and that could be a deal killer, but access to the fridge isn't that worrisome. Most times there isn't an issue with opening the slides enough to get to the fridge. We do it whenever we need to, never been a problem in 8 years.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the camper branded toyhauler and look at ATC new 5th wheel
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
clevebrowns wrote:

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with our Momentum. Wouldn't buy another DRV.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold