cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lukeville to Puerto Penaasca

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to pull my 37' FW from Ajo AZ to Puerto Penasco Mexico next February. How is the roadway in Mexico? Adequately wide? Good pavement? Any special concerns/suggestions about crossing the border? - obviously no weapons, Mexican auto insurance and I need my passport. I will have a small dog with me - papers and shots needed for him?
25 REPLIES 25

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We have the big one, and two small ones. I learned from the fellow in charge of fire suppression at our paper mill, demonstrations out in the parking lot, that showed how a few seconds from a small one would very rarely be enough. We sometimes had fires there, where I worked as a papermaker. The fire department always showed up, but we did the heavy work on those fires, getting to them fast. The last motor home fire we had was not enough to deter us from travel!

Talleyho69
You are very lucky people, and may it not happen to you again.

Bigger extinguishers are better. We always carried two in each of our motorhomes.

We have been intending to buy one for each kitchen in our house and will do it this week. Thanks for the kick.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two fires in my present motor home. One an engine fire when a holed piston pressurized the sump and forced oil from the dipstick, and caught fire as we waited at a short summer road closure on an Alberta highway. We were trying to get to civilization, and a new engine. Quick action quelled the fire instantly once we got to it from the front, replaced a couple of spark plug wires. The last was caused by a six volt battery shifting enough to short out in the rear compartment causing a main wire to burn across the vehicle to the other side, with the smoke alerting us. A good fire extinquisher controlled the fire after we stopped in the east lane of a Montana roadway, with a bystander calling the local fire department. Their truck blocked the only way past us, but finished the job, and followed us to the next turn off. Great work for them, so appreciated by us, as the volunteer fireman said then that they had lost two RV to fires, just the day before. The fires were five years apart. Any RV fire needs fast action with good equipment. After making repairs we exchanged our big extingisher for another, right away.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
I sill see hear of some people doing the day in and day out mexican insurance. Probably not the best idea. Some US insurance carriers offer mexican coverage IF you have a basic Mexican liability insurance. Progressive Insurance is one we've used. In the case of this fire in the pictures above, the rv's above were parked just behind me. I ran toward the burning rv's with a fire extinguisher but it was too hot, to quick. These rv fires burn a lot quicker than one might think. By the time the "trainee" (they were new bombarderos) fireman got there , it was just to boil/steam up some water from their truck and stir the ashes.
Not to get too carried away, I used to carry 4 or 5 extinguishers in the rv thinking it would be enough. Its not .
By the 2nd bottle, if it the fire ain't out, .........get out............ quickly.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Galvanized, Sir: Yes that looks familiar. I remember many years before, asking a fellow I worked with, before I ever traveled to Mexico, about his trips. He said he only bought insurance for the days he drove the highway. For British Colubians, from Canada, we always bought Lewis and Lewis insurance for the duration of the winter, getting a rebate on our insurance bought at home for the time in Mexico. From what I've learned on line, only a couple of American insurance providers will cover the vehicles for non-liability issues. Regarding this fire, we were camped on the other side of the buildings on the cheap sand beach location and saw the black smoke and heard the firemen racing down the hill. Not a way to start a holiday for the owners.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110, That was some fire. Feb 2014

Talleyho69
But do remember to check with your insurance carrier in the US and Canada. We were with Progressive, and except for liability we were fully covered in Mexico-even the pets! Yes, we used it once and were very pleased.

We too have seen bizarre accidents happen to vehicles parked in RV parks and agree with daveB110-stay insured. Would you take the insurance off of your vehicle if you were gone and it was parked in your garage? We wouldn't!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of people buying insurance just for the two days you travel. Not a great idea. Last time at Rocky Point we watched a fifth wheel trailer and the truck that pulled it, both burn to the ground in minutes. The Bomaderos came as soon as they could, but RV's go up very fast. Unless you are there and get to the fire immediately with some fire suppression, it doesn't have a chance. In this instance owners and friends close by were at church. Their motor home sustained a slight scorching to the front end, probably not too serious. Anybody close by with a rig, and at home, moved away because of the bad smoke. Owner of the 5th wheel and its truck had to canvass for loans, they lost it all in the fire. It was their first or second day there.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point does have great restaurants & bakeries. We like to go to the "locals" business area North West of downtown. You pass thu the North edge of this area when traveling to Reef Campground.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
Go online to Lewis and Lewis. You don't have to buy, but can get an immediate quote.

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
sounds exciting. Spent 10 days in Puerta Vallarta (in a condo) last spring. So, a limited exposure to Mexican life - looking forward to that part of the trip. Any ideas on the cost of auto/rv insurance for truck and 5th wheel for a week in Mexico?

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Having stayed in Mexico for eight winters, buying their "purified" water is second nature. Now we do it anywhere we travel. We've never been sick, or upset. Use a simple pump, or bomba, we've had two for the two different sized necks on the garafons; the screw - on lids often have narrower necks. As you travel around, all the while making sure you have enough water in your main tank, you soon become unsure of the water quality. Overcome your worries by buying water. Just enjoy yourself and have fun!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican food in Canada! Surely you jest.After trying in 4 different cities I gave up. Inedible and certainly not Mexican. But Canadian butter is very good!!!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I truly believe soil plays a big part in flavors and tastes. I had lunch last March in Ambato, Ecuador. My coworkers wanted to show me their only Mexican restaurant. Food was so-so. The Mexican owner, married to an Ecuadorian, said buying local didn't cut it in terms of flavor. She was so right.

The same when we attempted to duplicate Mexican food while we were in Canada. I guess it's like the butter thread 🙂
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
It's also fun to buy your supplies in Mexico-they can be different, it's all part of being in a foreign country!