cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIRECT TV Dropping standard def channels

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this a repeated question, I had Direct TV out to my house today, I was hoping to upgrade my standard definition box in my RV to one that has an HDMI output and not a cable output, and found out "NO CAN DO" with my road trip antenna which is a standard def satellite antenna and it will not work with the new boxes that have HDMI output. Anyways he told me that Direct TV is dropping standard definition and my Wingard road trip dish will be obsolete after the 1st of the year? and will not work since everything is going to High Definition and in order watch Direct TV I will have to purchase an HD dish? Has anyone heard about this?
I really don't care about having HD all I am trying to do is get HDMI to my TV and install an HDMI switch to switch between the two TV's instead of using the three RCA output jacks which produces a crappy picture and you get interference.

Any information would greatly be appreciated!
2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE
65 REPLIES 65

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you referring to? I don't see any uncivil discussion. There are MANY threads related to this topic and many responses as to what the user needs to do (IN A YEAR OR SO).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Seems that civil discussions are becoming a thing of the past. Not everyone follows all the changes in the sat world. If it save someone from spending for a unit soon the become useless, it should be discussed.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrs1871 wrote:
I have been following the changes coming to Direct TV programming with interest since it will definitely impact us. Our problem is we have standard Direct TV receivers in three locations (our primary residence, our snowbird home and our RV). We have a Winegard carryout antenna for the RV. From what I can glean from these posts, we can get free upgrades to HD receivers for the primary and snowbird locations. We could maybe get the free upgrade to the RV receiver but the carryout antenna will probably no longer work. We don't worry about local channels when we are in the RV but I don't know if the carryout would pick up cable channels or not. I really am not crazy about carrying a dish and tripod in the RV again but don't know if that can be avoided.
Also I haven't checked to see what would happen to our monthly bill when we switch to the HD receivers. Since the acquisition by AT&T, customer service which was questionable at best has become worse. It is difficult to get a straight answer and two calls will get two different answers. But sooner or later, we will have to do something.

Be is SD or HD receiver, they will work just fine in your RV and with your Carryout. You will just still receive the signal in SD by changing that option in the receiver. You will not have to do anything else for about a year.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following the changes coming to Direct TV programming with interest since it will definitely impact us. Our problem is we have standard Direct TV receivers in three locations (our primary residence, our snowbird home and our RV). We have a Winegard carryout antenna for the RV. From what I can glean from these posts, we can get free upgrades to HD receivers for the primary and snowbird locations. We could maybe get the free upgrade to the RV receiver but the carryout antenna will probably no longer work. We don't worry about local channels when we are in the RV but I don't know if the carryout would pick up cable channels or not. I really am not crazy about carrying a dish and tripod in the RV again but don't know if that can be avoided.
Also I haven't checked to see what would happen to our monthly bill when we switch to the HD receivers. Since the acquisition by AT&T, customer service which was questionable at best has become worse. It is difficult to get a straight answer and two calls will get two different answers. But sooner or later, we will have to do something.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The information posted by KVH does NOT tell the story of what will happen to the channel line up coming from 101 as it will be the only satellite left with programming the domes can receive. Winegard could post similar non-information but it would still be of no real value. We do know that the domes will be able to pick up "some channels" but it's highly unlikely that they will be able to broadcast the entire channel line up of even the lowest package in HD from just the 101 satellite. The most likely scenario is that the entire DTV programming will be spread across the 99, 101 and 103 satellites.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Found this on another forum, it is the most detailed explanation of what is going to happen when DirecTV drops SD broadcasting that I have seen to date.

KVH Sales Bulletin

Geez do I wish Winegard would publish something like this. Wondering if there is ANY possible future for my Carryout G2+ with DTV. Have only had it for a year.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has been my argument all along but it still does not address what programming will be available. I have suggested all along that broadcasts from the KU band 101 would continue, HD would be available from DirecTV with the current domes and the interesting point will be exactly what channels are available. I highly doubt (but hope I am wrong) that everything currently broadcast from 101 will continue to be broadcast from that satellite.
For that, we will just have to wait.

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
I swapped out my Trac Vision (came with the coach in 2004)) back in 2011 for the Winegard Traveler and the HR24 HD receiver. The Trac Vision was dying, expensive to repair and rather obsolete with HD coming along. Have never regretted the switch.

I do regret that Winegard will not let "field" techs work on their dish. I have a bad lead which prevents me from using my home Genie in the coacha nd Winegard says I have to bring it to them (Burlington, IA) to fix it. They will not let my local (expert) Direct TV guy work on this particular lead. Good thing we have another trip to Indiana planned in the spring.

Hank
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV
At Home in Custer SD

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Found this on another forum, it is the most detailed explanation of what is going to happen when DirecTV drops SD broadcasting that I have seen to date.

KVH Sales Bulletin

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
As a data point. I spoke with DTV this morning regarding dropping SD programming. I was told the answer is no they are not dropping SD programming, but they want everyone with an SD receiver to change it out for an HD receiver. For what it is worth.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dennis1949 wrote:
I wouldn't be in a hurry to change. AT&T has not sent out an official notice about it. There are still to many sd boxes out there that would have to be swapped out before this would happen. All I have heard is rumors
Fact, fiction, rumor???

I believe:
DTV announced years ago the end of SD transmission in 2019.
Posters with DTV SD equipment recently receiving letters that they must upgrade by 4/19.
Increasing new service areas where SD is not transmitted.

My experience: Several years ago I could not receive SD transmission in central OR. DTV confirmed they did not transmit SD to that area (Florence/Eugene). There are posts about other areas. That was the beginning of the end for my SD RV experience.

Fact, fiction, rumor??? You decide.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like problem solved CA Traveler.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be in a hurry to change. AT&T has not sent out an official notice about it. There are still to many sd boxes out there that would have to be swapped out before this would happen. All I have heard is rumors
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The portable dish at my daughters will require 150'+ of coax so I did some testing in Phoenix. I connected 304' of coax from the PI to the SWM dish. Can't tell any difference in picture quality and no change in tuner or transponder signal levels. Generally the levels were: 99 was 70-80, 101 was 95, and 103 was 60-70. The DTV receiver is an HR44 and the shows were all HD.

While there are many variables related to the maximum coax length I'm hopefully that 150-200' will work for me in Washington.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob