cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best dinghy

Sunchaser_59
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a dinghy. We don’t really need anything other than transportation for short day trips and such. I think I would like to have for wheels down but wonder which vehicles with manual transmissions are best. I have checked out the list of vehicles posted on several websites but I figured some of you veterans would have personal experience. Not really opposed to a dolly either.
24 REPLIES 24

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I'm partial to the Suzuki Jimney. Basically a more civilized version of the Samurai. You just have to get use to the right hand drive. It's always a gamble buying one but with the right broker, there are some smoking deals to be had.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech wrote:
"Best" for who?
You?
Me?
The family across the street?
I have no idea about You or the Family across the street, but for me the Best is a 2003-2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
I just got a 2005, and got it set up to tow. I am quite happy now (in that respect, at least).
Great post!

We were in preliminary discussion stage when a neighbor posted their 14 Grand Cherokee Overland for sale. Set up for towable amd 100% compatible so we bought it.

Lot of great features but not perfect - sorry Jeep folks. For us 5,600 lbs is heavy but doable and the ride is a little rough but doable. But not as good as desired for DW's daily driver. So stay tuned for 2019 car revelations for us....

Point being what for you? Flat towable, dolly towable, trailer tosable, weight, comfort, features... Should I continue the rather large list of what's right for anyone?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a 2 door Wrangler (20011). Towed great. Didn't like driving. Tried a 4 door wrangler (2015). Towed great. didn't like as a daily driver. I gave to daughter and still tow 1-2k a year. So I setup my 2017 Yukon XL Dinali (daily driver) Tows great. But it is big.

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
We found our 2017 Equinox V6 AWD Premier to be an excellent toad, quiet, comfortable and with the V6, powerful even with 4 people and weekend luggage aboard.
Gas mileage isn't the best, but realistically IMHO, if you can afford a diesel pusher and fuel for it towing a vehicle, the the toads economy shouldn't be a big consideration.

Pete
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag 🙂

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Search for "dingy towing guide". Each year, a list is compiled showing which vehicles are towable, and if they have any limitations.

Some claim to be towable, but in fine print it will say things like: limited to 50 MPH, or 50 miles before needing to start the engine to lubricate the transmission (has pump rather than splasher gear).

The Jeep Wrangler has no towing limitations. Put a key in the ignition (without a chip for security reasons), move it to the first position to unlock the steering wheel, put the transfer case in neutral, and the transmission in park. Hitch it up, release the parking brake. Zero miles logged while towing.

If you find the vehicle you want, but doesn't appear to be very towable, check out REMCO. They have options for making other vehicles towable. http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my dinghy and toad

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want a dolly since it's an extra 500 pounds. I went with a 2018 Kia Soul 6 speed manual tranny. Hooked it up with a Demco dominator tow bar and put a Roadmaster base plate on it. It's a mini ute, lots of storage with the seats down, good basic car for the job. About $15000, not too expensive, good on gas and weighs in at 2800 pounds. One nice thing no fussing with fuses etc. Put it in neutral, turn the key to ACC and off you go. If you get one, avoid 2011-2014 models, as there will be a recall for fire on those.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
ThruTraffic wrote:
Been looking at Trackers myself and reading forums. I think I see a lot of inaccurate posts out there claiming these can be flat towed. I read through the manuals here https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/chevrolet-tracker-owners-manuals/ and it looks like the first year the Tracker can be towed (with Suzuki OK) is 1999 and only the 4x4s. Prior to that they all say no flat towing for any of them, period. Maybe one 'can' do it but Suzuki didn't approve of it. Whatever. 🙂

You are right about what the book shows but mine has been towed approximately 100,000 miles with no apparent harm to the manual 5 speed transmission. Mine is two wheel drive.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you didn't do was tell us what you like to do and your activity level. If you are still healthy and adventurous, there is only on towed. That is a Jeep 4 door Wrangler. We like to drive ours to the end of the road and hike from there. They are just dumb stupid easy to set up for towing, reliable, hold their value, etc. If you are really adventurous, look for a Jeep Rubicon. It will take you places you no longer have the guts or testosterone to attempt. Getting in and out of can be a problem if you have issues because of the ground clearance.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at Trackers myself and reading forums. I think I see a lot of inaccurate posts out there claiming these can be flat towed. I read through the manuals here https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/chevrolet-tracker-owners-manuals/ and it looks like the first year the Tracker can be towed (with Suzuki OK) is 1999 and only the 4x4s. Prior to that they all say no flat towing for any of them, period. Maybe one 'can' do it but Suzuki didn't approve of it. Whatever. 🙂

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Wrangler. Fun and very low depreciation.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Best" for who?
You?
Me?
The family across the street?
I have no idea about You or the Family across the street, but for me the Best is a 2003-2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
I just got a 2005, and got it set up to tow. I am quite happy now (in that respect, at least).
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Chevy HHR made up until 2011. I towed a 2008 for many miles and just purchased a 2011 with 50,000 miles. Easy entry and exit good on fuel and has plenty of room to shop and haul things around.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
This looks like a good deal.
Geo Tracker
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)