cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp Question

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My tow vehicle is a 2003 Ford V10 excursion with 158,000 miles. Four years ago I put the 6.0L tranny cooler in place of the stock cooler. Before the switch, my temps would routinely run 190-205 in 90 degree weather. After the swap, it would run 165-170 towing in MN.

Last year I flushed the tranny fluid and replaced with synthetic. My coolant temps usually run 178-180 in the winter and 188-190 in the summer when towing.

About three weeks ago, I noticed my coolant temps were getting close to 200 and in some cases going as high as 202-205. My tranny fluid temp also starting hitting mid 170's and climbing into the 180's. Most of my towing trips were under 20 miles and we have had an unusual amount of 90+ days this year. However, my temps for some reason have climbed a bit this summer.

I have had the truck since it had 75,000 miles. I have not flushed the coolant since I have had the vehicle.

Is this a cause for concern?
10 REPLIES 10

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That's all within normal. The only thing I would check is the fan clutch. You're at the age where the factory one may not be working anymore. Have you heard the fan fully engage this summer?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you are seeing is a radiator needs to be removed and either thoroughly cleaned or replaced. The 05 Duramax I had did the same thing. Coolant temps went up & tranny temps were up also. I replaced the radiator and everything went back to normal. I expected build up inside. But was quite surprised at the amount of trash covering the face that had gone thru the rest of the stack. It’s a 15 year old truck, the radiator isn’t as efficient as it was. It’s now borderline for the load your putting on it.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like it is running in the normal range now. Seems like it was running a bit below the normal temp range I would expect before. If it were me, I would flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat, and remove the upper radiator sight shield and make sure the front of the rad is not becoming plugged up with pollen etc.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
The first things I would check would be water pump and belt, radiator, and the thermostat. I don't have specific knowledge of your V10 but I can tell you that flushing the block on my 6.0 was worthwhile. Lots of treasures in those passages.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup not sure. Trans is cooool.
What do the V10s supposed to have for a thermostat. Doesn’t sound hot but I don’t remember what mine ran at. It never Overheated so I didn’t know
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Deleted - entered in error.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
One of the worst things one can do to an automatic trans is have it flushed. Best thing to do is drop the pan, change the filter and fluid (using the OEM recommended fluid) and button it up. Also, drop the torque converter fluid, there will be a drain plug on the converter, you have to rotate the engine (bar it over) and align the plug with the removable inspection cover.

When you 'flush an auto trans, it looses the deposit in the valve body and can cause bad shifting and high temps if the orfices get plugged.

I never do that (flush), bad business.

Bet you have some floating gunk restricting an orfice.

It wasn't actually flushed. The mechanic pulled one of the lines off and sucked in new fluid while the old fluid drained to make sure all fluids were replaced.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your temps are great and I would not worry about them at all!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
One of the worst things one can do to an automatic trans is have it flushed. Best thing to do is drop the pan, change the filter and fluid (using the OEM recommended fluid) and button it up. Also, drop the torque converter fluid, there will be a drain plug on the converter, you have to rotate the engine (bar it over) and align the plug with the removable inspection cover.

When you 'flush an auto trans, it looses the deposit in the valve body and can cause bad shifting and high temps if the orfices get plugged.

I never do that (flush), bad business.

Bet you have some floating gunk restricting an orfice.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB