Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a bit (IMNSHO and FWIW) of a conundrum re: Motels. Later in the summer (June onward) there are more options: B&B's open up, more "lodges" or motels open up, etc.....but there are more travelers.

Strictly FWIW, it seems to me that outside of the larger spots (Dawson Creek, Whitehorse to pick a couple) one is likely to find better / nicer accommodations at a B&B / small lodge than at the advertised "motels".

If one is driving a vehicle (i.e. not RV'ng), prior to mid-June, I'd suggest determining where you want to get to for the day by Noon, and pick / call a place by 3:00. Mid-June or after, I'd make the determination and the call the night before. With a vehicle and wanting to motel it, one is a bit more limited (i.e. need to go from town to town) than with an RV. So the location of the "towns" may determine how far you go on any given day and that in turn determines where to look for overnight lodging.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

It's a bit (IMNSHO and FWIW) of a conundrum

Stupid question - what do these acronyms mean?

Thanks

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

PA12DRVR wrote:

It's a bit (IMNSHO and FWIW) of a conundrum

Stupid question - what do these acronyms mean?

In My Not So Humble Opinion

For What It's Worth

Sometimes you'll also see IMHO, and I trust you can now suss out what that stands for.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like IMNTBHO, In my never to be humble opinion.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enough of this fun.
Now for those who know Canada?
I want to cross the border on 4th of July weekend, that comes on Thursday.
Would Saturday be a low traffic day?
Do we expect any extra traffic on the 4th in Canada at all?

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fourth will be just another Thursday in Canada. Expect more traffic by Saturday, as that's weekend time.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

The fourth will be just another Thursday in Canada. Expect more traffic by Saturday, as that's weekend time.

That's what I was figuring out as well, but I wonder how many US campers will go to BC for long weekend.
When I plan to go against the weekend traffic, I know the road does have good semi trucks traffic as well.
For example going to Vegas from California, I figured out Saturday best day. Weekenders are already there, or going back, while semis usually start Sunday afternoon.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Darryl&Rita wrote:

That's what I was figuring out as well, but I wonder how many US campers will go to BC for long weekend.
When I plan to go against the weekend traffic, I know the road does have good semi trucks traffic as well.
For example going to Vegas from California, I figured out Saturday best day. Weekenders are already there, or going back, while semis usually start Sunday afternoon.

It can depend on which crossing you use. But really..once you are in line...there you are and nothing to be done about it.

Many US folks come into BC..for a variety of reasons..they get a 30%+ uptick on the dollar. Our beer is much better. We Canadians will say sorry for pretty much everything. I mean...what could go wrong? eh..

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I am in position, that staying at brother's 2 hr from the border I can choose day for crossing.
Maybe I am more worried about it, than I should, but last year my son went for European vacations and twice it happen to him to spend over 3 hr at border crossing or freeway accident. That made him cutting the route shorter and missing some destinations.
When I have time for my vacations, I don't enjoy spending it in traffic.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, while the border crossing can be unexpectedly busy at the strangest times, the best way to avoid traffic while driving L48 to Alaska is to drive at night.

May or may not work for logistics, but having done 20+ round trips, the majority of which were meant to get from L48 to Alaska or back as quick as possible, I've found that driving at night could reduce the duration of that trip by circa 24 hours or more. Obviously, a greater effect if one drives 12 hours per "night" than if one drives 5-6 hours per night, but I've noticed the time savings on my trips regardless of "shift" duration.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> CANADA & ALASKA TRAVEL TIPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS