cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickup truck oscillating diagonally

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
On my way into work this morning, I witnessed a pickup truck, a work truck by the logo on the door, oscillating from the right front corner to the left rear corner.

Never seen anything like it before in my life. Any ideas what might have been wrong with that truck?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
21 REPLIES 21

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
We have a stretch of I90 in E. Wa. that causes the same thing. It's actually the pavement that slowly undulates from side to side.

Where is that section?

I've driven I-90 east and west multiple times each year and have never encountered that issue
Bob

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Having a mix of radials and bias ply tires will cause a bad rolling oscillation. Been there done that in my younger years.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
K-9 HANDLER wrote:
Wife had a puke green Gremlin when we started dating.

Seems like it's the "future wives" that supported the bad/ugly car syndromes. Mine was the same. She had a fricking Nissan 200x or sx. One of the bigger POS cars I've had the pleasure of keeping running. I think that's the only reason her dad put up w me when we started dating was because I took keeping that pos running off of his hands.

Maybe wouldn't have been so pleased with that if he know how I was getting "paid" to work on it though. Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
K-9 HANDLER wrote:

Ok, now that weโ€™re all in therapy here, talking about past fiascos that passed as cars (and even tho I was busting Scottโ€™s chops) my first car was a Gremlin as well. Paid $75 for it, sold it for $500 6 months later and redeemed myself by buying a 71 Challenger. There, I said it....I had a Gremlin. I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest!

Sold it for more then you paid. Proceeds put towards Challenger, Id say your secure.
Heres the kicker my FIL traded in a Chevelle for the Gremlin, ugh.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
K-9 HANDLER wrote:

Ok, now that weโ€™re all in therapy here, talking about past fiascos that passed as cars (and even tho I was busting Scottโ€™s chops) my first car was a Gremlin as well. Paid $75 for it, sold it for $500 6 months later and redeemed myself by buying a 71 Challenger. There, I said it....I had a Gremlin. I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Engine block in left rear corner of bed on way to machine shop.
Puma 30RKSS

Bedlam
ScottG wrote:
30+ years ago we had a Pinto that would do the same thing!

40+ years ago, ours had bad bias ply OEM tires. Once we replaced them with radials, it rode much better. I learned to drive clutch on our Pinto and never felt my identity was tied to what I drive.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ford.
Bingo
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jfkmk wrote:
ScottG wrote:
30+ years ago we had a Pinto.....

It takes a brave person to admit that.;)
How many years of therapy did it take?

Denial helps - It was my future wife's car when we met! :B

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
30+ years ago we had a Pinto.....

It takes a brave person to admit that.;)
How many years of therapy did it take?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We have a stretch of I90 in E. Wa. that causes the same thing. It's actually the pavement that slowly undulates from side to side.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Had a old 65 Buick Electra that did that. It had a bent frame and went down the road like a fish. I was in auto body class in high school and used the frame straightener to fix. Drove fine after repaired.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It wasn't vibrating or bouncing, just slowly rocking from the right front to the left rear as it went down the highway at ~60MPH.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.