cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F250 Vs F350 Crew Cab

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
My current angst is f250 vs f350. Our current 5ver has a pin weight of 1840 which pushes me up against the 10k gross weight, And the cargo weight of approximately 2100. The axle load on the 5ver is normally around 8K. We have towed this way for well over 100k and over the last 10 plus years. The safety issues are not in question, as I have been in some very threatening situations and had my equipment perform admirably. My concern is the legal aspect of being so close, or barely above the legal limit. Were not opposed to dropping another 1k for the upgrade but on looking at the trucks, was appalled at the increased heights. My wife and I are both under 5.5 and it's going to be a challenge with just the F250. Were not sure about the difference in the ride also.
Thanks
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
How much gear do you have in the truck?

I doubt you are pushing against the 10k GVWR. Most 3/4 ton trucks are on the order of 6500lb empty. Add in 2k for pin weight/hitch, and that still leaves 1500lb for people and gear in the truck.

Not if he's repalcing diesel with diesel. Call it 8000lbs before you start loading the truck bed, kids, mother in law etc and you'd be much closer.
That said, to teh OP, the trucks are virtually identical save for the 350 has stiffer rear springs. Buy whichever truck makes you more comfortable. A 1800-2000lb pin weight is childs play for either one. No legal issues to worry about other than the rvnet weight police....bad boys bad boys...whatcha gonna do?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
If Diesel just go to the F350 as payload on a diesel F250 is only 2100#. You can get an HDPP F150 with more payload. If Gas you gain about 900 pounds then the F250 is decent for towing, but that gas consumption might deter you, but thats for another thread.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with JAC. I had a 250 with my previous TT toy hauler and had to get a 350 for my current 5er. I don't recommend a 250 to anyone thinking of towing, get the 350 right from the get go. My CCC went from 2251 to 3447 on equally optioned trucks with the 6.7. The '17+ 350 gets you a heaver rear suspension, bigger rear axle, and different transmission.

My wife is 5'3" and with the stock cab steps, she can get in and out just fine. The tailgate heights bother me more than the cab heights. If you are thinking Ford, make sure to get the step built into the tailgate. I'm 5'10" and it's a lifesaver.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 150 to a 250 to a 350. I wish we had skipped the 250 altogether, it really ended up serving no purpose other than it towed our old TT better than the 150, but we should have just done the 350. Also, our 350 now has automatic running boards, they pop out when you open the door. I'm 5'3" and have no problem getting in and out.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about the weight, you might ask the reverse question: Do I need an F250? First you can order an F350 with a 10k door sticker, and these along with the F250 are regulatory creations. We got 50 states, some territories and thousands of other regulatory bodies. I have a F250 because I visit NJ from WV every other week (My wife moved all over the country with me, and now wishes to go home and visit since we now live close to the Garden State).

So due to the rules of hammer lanes, parkways, neighborhoods, and MTag, I require a truck with the F250 badge on the side, and non commercial tags (I could save about $10 a year in WV with B, commercial tags for 10k wieght).

Without those requirements, I would get a mid-spring rated F350 instead of my F250 with the max springs. Of course I could change out the wife and get the truck I want, but she tells me that I cannot afford to trade her off.

As far as towing and ride, I don't think I could tell the difference without the badge on the side. The 350 is as an earlier poster stated, just a touch higher at the cab.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How much gear do you have in the truck?

I doubt you are pushing against the 10k GVWR. Most 3/4 ton trucks are on the order of 6500lb empty. Add in 2k for pin weight/hitch, and that still leaves 1500lb for people and gear in the truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Bill...your current F250 pulling that small trailer isn't anywhere near its max safe/legal load limits according to your state dot enforcement.

This is a paste and copy from another member from the state of CA that I've seen posted on all types of trailering websites.. (snipped as its very long)

** Q: “Many of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish?”

A: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) does not contain a law that
specifically limits the amount of weight a vehicle may tow based on the
towing vehicle GVWR or GCWR. There are, however, laws that limit the
amount a vehicle may tow based on other criteria.
Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to
the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in
the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as
those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their
weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed
the tire load limits.
I trust this has adequately answered your questions. Should you desire
any further information, please contact Officer Ron Leimer, of my staff,
at (916) 445-1865.
Sincerely,
S. B. DOWLING, Captain
Commander
Commercial Vehicle Section**

So as your state troop cmdr says just stay under your truck makers axle/tire load rating (RAWR as its carrying most if not all added weight) and you will be safe/legal as you travel around the country.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
BillandCarole wrote:
My current angst is f250 vs f350. Our current 5ver has a pin weight of 1840 which pushes me up against the 10k gross weight, And the cargo weight of approximately 2100. The axle load on the 5ver is normally around 8K. We have towed this way for well over 100k and over the last 10 plus years. The safety issues are not in question, as I have been in some very threatening situations and had my equipment perform admirably. My concern is the legal aspect of being so close, or barely above the legal limit. Were not opposed to dropping another 1k for the upgrade but on looking at the trucks, was appalled at the increased heights. My wife and I are both under 5.5 and it's going to be a challenge with just the F250. Were not sure about the difference in the ride also.
Thanks
Bill

Nothing unsafe about using the F250, but the minimal price difference makes choosing the F350 a no-brainer. Per Ford's specs on their website the 250 is actually a tenth of an inch taller. I doubt there is any difference in ride either, because mechanically there is almost no difference between the two. If you're concerned about getting in and out, order side steps. These trucks are so tall I don't understand why they aren't standard equipment.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
BillandCarole wrote:
My concern is the legal aspect of being so close, or barely above the legal limit.

Legally there is no difference between an F-250 and an F-350. The manufacturers do not set the legal limits. That's what your legislature does. The 10,000 lbs you referred to is not a legal weight restriction. Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge nor any other truck maker determines legal weight. They don't make the laws.
Generally, the legal weight limits are 20,000 lbs on a single axle. You're not anywhere close to the legal limit with your 5er nor will you be with either the F-250 or F-350.
Some states register vehicles based on the weight they haul. For example, if you register your truck for 10,000 lbs then that's the max weight you can haul. But if you want to haul 14,000 lbs then you buy registration for the increased weight.
But in either example, the manufacturer has nothing to do with either.
Camped in every state

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The newer 250/2500 will probably have another 1000# of capacity too.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Many improvements over ten years. Go take a test ride in a 2018 250-2500. You'll see/feel the difference.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu