cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical stuff...

BobbieLee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. First post here so thanks in advance for reading. We are a family of 4 from Michigan considering our first TT purchase.

We love the layout of the FR Cherokee 264DBH. But what we are struggling with is the good, better, best on siding, frames, slide technology, window construction etc. Is the Cherokee going to hold up given our intended usage? Would we be better off paying $5-10k more and getting a similar layout with fiberglass and a better floor, frame, etc? We’re not planning on using this thing more than 21 days per year but would like it to last for 10 years.

And what construction musts do you recommend?

We’ll be towing with a Chevy Silvarado.

UPDATE: THANKS for all the advice. The Silverado is a 5.3L with the 3.08 RA. The 2510BH Highlabd Ridge is looking more like what we need. Something 5000 poundsish with sturdier axles.
30 REPLIES 30

BobbieLee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback.

I looked at Lance and LivinLite. The axle weight comment someone made really has me changing my direction. We are willing to go with a little shorter and lighter RV and trade my lease in for a second, better tow vehicle. The problem I am finding is that everything with the creature comforts we want is either $20k for low-end construction or over $40k for an overbuild - we ain’t living in it. We can’t find the better in “good, better, best”

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
No kidding! :E All 3 GM 5.3L trucks I've towed with have run a 3.42 axle which itself isn't all that great for towing, I'd much prefer a 3.73 even with my current 2012 Silvy which is equipped with the newer narrow ratio 6-speed transmission. 3.08 for towing anything but a popup is a non-starter IMO. 😞

Grit dog wrote:
Then you should just get a bigger truck next time instead of complaining about the poor performance even though you've made the same choice 3x in a row as I read it.

Nope, not a chance when a 1/2 ton Chevy works so well for all other uses. Badgering me doesn't change the fact that a 3.42 axle is only so-so for towing purposes, anything higher (lower numerically) is terrible, and the better choice would be 3.73 or lower (higher numerically). The OP apparently says their truck has 3.08 which is GM's attempt to improve fuel mileage returns in general driving around but it's totally unsuitable for towing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
free radical wrote:
BobbieLee wrote:
Can’t rent or buy used. Germs. Lol. That is why we want an Rv...to avoid the hotel funk. But we can be happier with smaller and lighter.

Casita is small 🙂

Im a carpenter by trade,and would never buy any TT built from those tiny sticks stapled together and aluminum skin..anything that needs recaulking is a no no in my book..

Id only buy good quality fiberglass or solid aluminum such as Airstream..
There are others but dont recall the names right now..

Sure it cost more up front but Im not so rich to waste money on cheap junk that needs continous maintanance and fixing..
good luck finding what you want

Agree on the quality thing to a point, but idk about you. I see thousands or tens of thousands sticks n staples RVs going everywhere. Doesn't seem like they just fall apart.
But you know. Someone posts a question on here and within 2 pages they're an idiot and nothing but a new 1 ton diesel and an Airstream will will even make it out of the driveway much less to a campground....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SoundGuy wrote:
BobbieLee wrote:

UPDATE: THANKS for all the advice. The Silverado is a 5.3L with the 3.08 RA.

bikendan wrote:
Even with the newer higher speed transmissions, the 3.08 rear end is lousy for towing. A 3.42 would be much better.

No kidding! :E All 3 GM 5.3L trucks I've towed with have run a 3.42 axle which itself isn't all that great for towing, I'd much prefer a 3.73 even with my current 2012 Silvy which is equipped with the newer narrow ratio 6-speed transmission. 3.08 for towing anything but a popup is a non-starter IMO. 😞

Then you should just get a bigger truck next time instead of complaining about the poor performance even though you've made the same choice 3x in a row as I read it.
On the flip side, I've drug 6k to 14klb trailers around with my 2016 5.3 Silvy work truck. Perty sure she has 3.42s, but nonetheless, it seems to do do fine. Even in the low alt mtns we have here.
Will my hopped up diesel pull the pants off the little Chevy? Sure, but equating a new fillsize half ton with the big engine to no greater than a popup is just talking to hear yourself talk.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
lIKELY THE BEST AND MOST HONEST tt DEALER IS IN tAWAS AND THEIR OTHER COMPANY IS IN aLPENA. Opps. They are Jayco dealers and I have used them for years. To us they are not far from our summer cottage. You will find the dealer is your most needed friend. Also the best TT deals are not in the tricounty area.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Im a carpenter by trade,and would never buy any TT built from those tiny sticks stapled together and aluminum skin..

The people with bus conversions like to point out that when a bus gets into an accident, it looks like a bus got into an accident. When a motor home or trailer gets into an accident, it looks like a tornado hit a trailer park! 🙂

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BobbieLee wrote:

UPDATE: THANKS for all the advice. The Silverado is a 5.3L with the 3.08 RA.

bikendan wrote:
Even with the newer higher speed transmissions, the 3.08 rear end is lousy for towing. A 3.42 would be much better.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
BobbieLee wrote:
Can’t rent or buy used. Germs. Lol. That is why we want an Rv...to avoid the hotel funk. But we can be happier with smaller and lighter.

Casita is small 🙂

Im a carpenter by trade,and would never buy any TT built from those tiny sticks stapled together and aluminum skin..anything that needs recaulking is a no no in my book..

Id only buy good quality fiberglass or solid aluminum such as Airstream..
There are others but dont recall the names right now..

Sure it cost more up front but Im not so rich to waste money on cheap junk that needs continous maintanance and fixing..
good luck finding what you want

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are my comments for what they are worth.

First almost all RVs are built poorly. Not just a little poor but grossly poor construction and design.

Buy used whenever possible. RVs depreciate rapidly. Many of them are only used a few times before the owners realize they made a mistake.

When buying a trailer start by considering the axles, wheels and CCC. Many are built so flimsy they cannot safely carry anything. Personal items, clothing, cooking gear, and other essential add up quickly.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
BobbieLee wrote:

UPDATE: THANKS for all the advice. The Silverado is a 5.3L with the 3.08 RA. The 2510BH Highlabd Ridge is looking more like what we need. Something 5000 poundsish with sturdier axles.

Does your leased Chevy have the factory tow package and can you use it for towing with a WDH?

The UVW of the 2510BH is 5385lbs. That's without battery, options, cargo and water. It will easily weigh over 6000lbs loaded for camping.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
BobbieLee wrote:

No dealer worth much in lower Michigan. I went to Indiana (Goshen) to buy mine.

Interestingly, I bought it in the fall and picked it up in the spring and they held it for me, no storage charge.

There is a dealer in South Toledo (off Airport Highway) that I hear good things about if you want to check them out.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BobbieLee
Explorer
Explorer

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your just getting into it rent a few in different sizes and floor plans see what you like or don't like ( walk around bed, or bed you have to crawl over your partner to get in and out of think middle of the night, bed you have to put up and take down each day,etc) and it will give you an idea what your truck can tow. If the truck is to small wait till the lease is up and get a bigger truck. You will have a better idea what you want in a trailer and what size trailer and truck you need.

You may rent a few times and decide you don't like camping and you will be money ahead.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
With a 1400lb CCC you will easily max out the axles.

I would look for a trailer with a dry weight of around 5-5500lbs, then add 12-1500lbs to the dry weight. This will get you close to it ready to travel weight.

We have an 07 Cherokee With super slide and quad bunks. We love it and have had no issues. Fiberglass or siding doesn’t matter, it’s all
In how it’s put together. The chassis’s are all the same. Our Cherokee came with a lot of standard features that were optional on other models, I would consider it a step or 2 above entry level. Even out 05 Cherokee Lite had quite a bit of standard features.

Shop around and pick the one that fits you and your truck the best.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!