cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins onan oil change

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
I have brand new toy hauler with new Cummins onan 4000. Is the first oil change at 25 hours then every 100 hrs thereafter?
6 REPLIES 6

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than tell you what I do, here is the answer to your question.
From the Cummins RV generator handbook.
โ€œYou should change the engine crankcase oil after the first 20 hours of operation, and every 100 to 150 hours thereafter. โ€œ
https://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/rv/F-1123-EN.pdf

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds about right - first oil change is usually 20-50 hours depending on model and then about 100 hours or at least annually.
Kevin

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
I believe the owners manual will advise as to the correct Oil Change interval. Ours is a 5500 and the interval is at least 150 hours. Make sure you follow the recommended interval and use the recommended oil grade. Don't forget to change the filter each time as well. Our oil grade is 15W40 as recommended for the North American climate.
2010 Suncruiser

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
I never hit 100 hours per year so I change yearly...usually early spring time when I am also taking it out of its winter hibernation. There is no oil filter, just a simple drain-and-replace.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had my ONAN, I just changed the oil every spring when I de-winterized. Of course, we probably never hit 100 hours of use per year.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
If this really is a "brand new" RV, there should be an owners manual for the generator in there somewhere. If not, see your dealer.

I think both my Onan's have had a 150 hour service interval.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"