cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Pressure for airlift airbags

jkilroy
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a set of airlift airbags on my 03 2500 HD Silverado. Wondering what a good air pressure is to run on them with a 8500 lb Cougar 5th wheel. I put #45 unloaded but seems like it needs more.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS:B

Pennsylvania Air National Guard

:C
21 REPLIES 21

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Yep used for level up. Mine works if i put 25 in unhooked. Then hook up.

I run zero when unhooked.

Check your instructions, mine says 5 lb. minimum.

I guess some people have reported having problems pinching them if running empty. I've run mine for 12 years empty when not hauling and never had a problem. With a 1 ton dually my empty ride is harsh enough that even 5 lbs. adds unwanted bounce.

Newer model Airlifts, 88395, have internal jounce bumpers to prevent any damage when driving with no air in them.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itching2go wrote:
While I do know that it is less than 100 lbs, which is the rated max for the Airlifts that I have, I don't recall exactly what the loaded pressure is, but believe it is around 70 lbs or so... likely a bit less. Since I air them up before I hitch, I don't really pay that much attention to the loaded pressure. If I had the automatic air pump installed with the bags, that would likely be a different story.

Just to give you an idea what happens to unloaded pressures when hitched. I would run 5psi unloaded and once the 4,500# pin was applied the bag pressure went to 30psi.

Sounds like a lot of pressure on a 3500 with 3k pin! With 3k you should not even NEED bags but they do improve ride if adding enough air to control axle movement. To ME it sounds like too much air and would cause a poor ride.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I do know that it is less than 100 lbs, which is the rated max for the Airlifts that I have, I don't recall exactly what the loaded pressure is, but believe it is around 70 lbs or so... likely a bit less. Since I air them up before I hitch, I don't really pay that much attention to the loaded pressure. If I had the automatic air pump installed with the bags, that would likely be a different story.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itching2go wrote:
I have a 2008 3500 with Airlift bags, towing a fiver with around 3,000 lbs of pin weight. After playing around with it for awhile, I've found that inflating to 45 lbs unhitched is the sweet spot for us. As others have said, there is no one correct answer as everyone's setup is different. I'd start out at 40 or 50 lbs, and increase/decrease as needed, keeping in mind that the goal is to level out the rig and improve ride comfort. Also pay attention to the amount of squat when you hitch up. Should be a two or three inches, but not much more. When running unloaded, I keep 5 lbs in the bags to maintain their shape as directed in the owner's manual.

What is your air bag psi after load is applied?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2008 3500 with Airlift bags, towing a fiver with around 3,000 lbs of pin weight. After playing around with it for awhile, I've found that inflating to 45 lbs unhitched is the sweet spot for us. As others have said, there is no one correct answer as everyone's setup is different. I'd start out at 40 or 50 lbs, and increase/decrease as needed, keeping in mind that the goal is to level out the rig and improve ride comfort. Also pay attention to the amount of squat when you hitch up. Should be a two or three inches, but not much more. When running unloaded, I keep 5 lbs in the bags to maintain their shape as directed in the owner's manual.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"80 PSI in the bags brings it back level and provides a solid ride."

I bet it does!!! You have any teeth left? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its actually not rough. Surprisingly

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
Used bags back when I had a huge Lance truck camper. first off you want them rigged to separate air valves, not just one with a T. If you have just one, they tend to making cornering worse as one bag will force air into the other side, making it more dangerous. I always liked the air valves somewhere near the fender well for the following reason.

With the camper on, I would add air until the sag went out of the springs, then lower just a bit to set some weight back on the springs. this will give you a full suspension, and the most stable ride. Quit worrying about getting the truck level, it doesn't always result in the best and safest ride.

Truck campers yes,separate air valves, with a fifth wheel no need.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"80 PSI in the bags brings it back level and provides a solid ride."

I bet it does!!! You have any teeth left? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Soldier415
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Air Lift 5000 ultimate air bags. My truck has a level kit installed, when I hook up our 5th wheel (13k empty weight) the rear squats 2". 80 PSI in the bags brings it back level and provides a solid ride.

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
Used bags back when I had a huge Lance truck camper. first off you want them rigged to separate air valves, not just one with a T. If you have just one, they tend to making cornering worse as one bag will force air into the other side, making it more dangerous. I always liked the air valves somewhere near the fender well for the following reason.

With the camper on, I would add air until the sag went out of the springs, then lower just a bit to set some weight back on the springs. this will give you a full suspension, and the most stable ride. Quit worrying about getting the truck level, it doesn't always result in the best and safest ride.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You really did not need bags for such a light RV. BUT they can improve ride by starting out with 5psi unloaded then hitch up and check the pressure, it will have increased. Bottom line add just enough air to bring truck back to "LEVEL" and do NOT think you need to make the truck set the same height as without the RV. You want the bags to be there for support and control axle bouncing. If you have not done so throw on a set of Bilstein 4600's.

I am betting with 45psi UNLOADED adding the RV makes for a very rough ride!

Air your tires based on LOAD.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
An 8500 lb 5er would have a pin of about 1700 lbs. Thats not much at all even for a 3/4 ton. I use bags with a pin of about 1800-1900 lbs in my Ram 2500 and only put 25 psi in them. That gives me a little more side to side stability. Anymore and the rear of the trucks to high. with 25 psi the trucks sitting down about 2" in the rear which puts it 1" higher than the front and leaves the 5er about 1/2" high in the front.
I've tried 20, 25 and 30 psi. 25 is the best for ride and overall setup.
50 psi would be way over the top for me. Just wondering why you have bags and why you need 50 psi? Are you hauling a lot in the truck bed?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

I guess some people have reported having problems pinching them if running empty. I've run mine for 12 years empty when not hauling and never had a problem. With a 1 ton dually my empty ride is harsh enough that even 5 lbs. adds unwanted bounce.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote: