cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar battery panel?

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the old one that wasn't working. After hooking up the new one the small LED light on the A/C was on for sometime before going off. But since then I have not seen it on. Is this normal?

I rechecked the wiring and the old unit had 'Yellow & black' wires from the solar panel that run into the A/C then the Yellow goes to the LED then a Red wire leaves the LED and runs across and into a hole with the Black wire to where I can no longer see where they run to (assume up front near batteries). The 'Yellow' wire runs from roof solar panel down (with black wire) inside to where it (yellow) runs into a small connector then into the LED monitor. A red wire leaves the LED and runs across with the black (ground I believe) wire into small hole.

The new panel has Red+ and Black- wires.

The following is the panel I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013W38TTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
3 REPLIES 3

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
The old panel & frame setup (incl LED monitor light) I have is the same as the guy in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAKHubjHlk&t=135s

I'm also experiencing the same issue as him. The light on the LED monitor panel was on after hooking up the new panel and went off after sometime (not sure how long). But it has not been on since then. I used the same new panel to replace the old one.

New panel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013W38TTK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=remodeltube-20&linkId=c9aa7b44a0746d638186ee1c16923699

My deep cycle batteries (2) are 10 years old and I'm planning on replacing them. They are Les Schwab golf cart batteries.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
udidwht wrote:
I rechecked the wiring and the old unit had 'Yellow & black' wires from the solar panel that run into the A/C
What is the 'A/C'?

A/C = Air conditioner

The wires (2) from the solar panel run to a small LED solar monitor panel on the rear side of the air conditioning unit.

Just took closer look up top (roof) and the Yellow and black wires that run down below were spliced into the old solar panel wiring. The (2) old wires from the old solar panel are black/white & gray.

I left the old panel on top given it was held into a metal grill frame that is screwed (4) to the air conditioner access cover (top). The new panel was placed on top of it and zip tied to the old frame of the old panel.

The new solar panel has red+ and black- leads that are now connected to the (2) wires that run into the RV Yellow & black.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
udidwht wrote:
I rechecked the wiring and the old unit had 'Yellow & black' wires from the solar panel that run into the A/C
What is the 'A/C'?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman