cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to the RV world. Bought a 2006 National Sea Breeze LX. We’ve been out 3 times now, and have a 2 ½ week trip coming up in a few weeks. I’ve been posting on a few of the threads here regarding handling of a gasser, and have been slowly getting the ride and handling better and better. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and comments. However, I’m curious about 2 things – first, what is the normal speed you folks drive on the interstates? I was told that most Class A gassers will tell you what speed they want to go, and I’ve found that 63-64 mph is about it before the ride becomes too white knuckled. Slowing down makes the driving less stressful, but then the speed difference of myself and the semi’s increases the amount of push they give me (some of the pushes can be a bit butt-puckering - I have a Hellwig rear bar on the way). So what speed do most of you drive? Next, what kind of mpg do you get? Last trip we got 9.3mpg with a Ford V10, which I thought was pretty good. I kept the speed around 60mph the entire time. And just a curious question – what kind of mileage does a DP get in comparison? Thanks!

Al
42 REPLIES 42

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are back from our first long trip. Things actually went pretty well, except the secondary roads about wore me out (bad pavement, pot holes, and so on) so we returned using all interstates, and we had a black tank clog in NC. One of the other campers at the NC campground knew a guy, made a call, and $50 later no more clog. I drove about 65mph on the way back, as I was finally getting used to all the quirks of the RV. The Hellwig rear bar arrived about 1 hour before we left (what great timing, right) so it goes on this Monday. We boondocked in Cracker Barrels 5 nights, the rest of the nights in campgrounds. All-in-all a success, and my wife and I are hooked. We already have 3 more trips planned. Now if I could just retire.....2 more years...

Al

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
When we are going on our trip, we drive 8 to 10 hours, at about 65 sometimes down to 60, enjoy the ride and the journey. Find a place either Walmart type or campground for the night and get up and leave by 8 am until we get where we are going. I do worry about what can happen along the way like blowouts or engine problems and being hundreds to thousands of miles away from home and known mechanics.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
60-65 is plenty going down the highway, remember you have to be able to stop and it takes more distance, I find some trucks push me around when passing and some do not and some when in front of me shake my rig with wind currents and some do not. Take it easy, if it is white knuckle time it is not fun. Relax, look far down the road and not just infront of the rig. Enjoy the journey.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
I usually do the speed limit. Headwind is the worst, tore an antenna off at 75 MPH plus the 40 MPH headwind.

Why does my lower end DP not sway and gassers do? I can blow by an 18 wheeler and nothing. I guess I don't see the difference as chassis seem fairly similar except the engine placement.

I believe that most DP chassis already have front and rear track bars to eliminate the side movement of the springs. I know that the 2000 Holiday Rambler DP on the Freightliner chassis that we owned had them.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

Next time a semi is passing you, while it’s still back a bit move a little left and crowd the line between the lanes,

Better yet, just drive him off the road. Then he doesn't pass you and there's zero impact from the wind.

That might work too, but at about a 4 to 1 weight advantage he’s likely the one to win a shoving contest.

Besides, us Canucks are far to polite for that sort of hostility.

But you go ahead and have fun trying the less civilized approach.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

Next time a semi is passing you, while it’s still back a bit move a little left and crowd the line between the lanes,

Better yet, just drive him off the road. Then he doesn't pass you and there's zero impact from the wind.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
FloridaRosebud wrote:
TheLuvShack wrote:
I have a V10 in a 31' Class C and get between 7.5-10 mpg. Depends on wind direction, terrain, speed and if I'm towing a car. I like 65 mph. I'm on vacation so I get in the slow lane and let the world pass me. As you get more driving experience, you'll get used to the semi push. You'll naturally react to it over time until you hardly notice it. I have front and rear stabilizer bars and Safe T Plus Steering stabilizer.

Re: Semi push - Yeah, I'm already "looking" for when a semi is in my side mirror. It's when you get a little more push than you're expecting is when that little shot of adrenaline hits you. After about 25 or 30 of those over 4 or 5 hours I'm tired!! Am really looking forward to the rear bar getting here.

Al

The effect of the bow wave coming off a passing semi is reduced dramatically as you move away, the space between you & it increases.

Next time a semi is passing you, while it’s still back a bit move a little left and crowd the line between the lanes, the semi driver will automatically move a little to the left to maintain separation distance too, then just he gets to you, ease back to the Ishtar and crowd the right side of your lane. It’s amazing how much that extra few feet makes in reducing the effect of the passing semi.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DOUG TRAINER : My 2001 F-53...part of the paperwork indicates coach alignment at the NationalRV facility....which might say it was aligned after the coach got put on the frame. At any rate, no unusual tire wear and tracts perfectly straight. (58,000 miles) On the interstates I stay on cruise control at 60 or just above

My coach (again, 2001) has 19.5" tires on a 22,500 frame. I get 7.5 average not pulling a toad...7.3 pulling a toad (under 4000 pounds).

Other than Bilstein shocks, I have no mods on the suspension (like the Hellwig or steering stabilizer or even the CHF.) I guess I've learned to live with whatever the handling throws at me...no problems. However, from day 1, I've realized that I have to give the driving my full concentration and attention or it will wander a bit. So...again, no problem(s). Guess I'm used to it.

I get a bit of side PUSH from some 18 wheelers, but a quite noticeable side PULL from some of them.

just FWIW

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I stay at 65 on the interstate. That is the max for my towed. The suggestion to get a proper alignment is spot on Ford does not align these coaches to the end coach just to the frame. I also have the Hellwig rear sway bar, steering stabilizer and have done the CHF. My coach has 22.5 tires and is on the 24,000 lb frame. I get almost no side push and I do not feel much push by passing trucks. My MPG is like most around 7.5 with the max I have seen at 9mpg on 1 trip. I have many thousands of miles between this and the last 4 coaches. I am really at ease and not tense when driving I would guess this makes for less fatigue. Getting older now so the 330 rule seems to fit pretty well.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
I usually do the speed limit. Headwind is the worst, tore an antenna off at 75 MPH plus the 40 MPH headwind.

Why does my lower end DP not sway and gassers do? I can blow by an 18 wheeler and nothing. I guess I don't see the difference as chassis seem fairly similar except the engine placement.

Your DP has a longer wheelbase and weighs probably 20,000 lbs more than most gassers, so you are on even footing with the semis. Those are the two biggest reasons. My wheelbase for my 33 ft gasser is 208 in and I weigh 19,000 lbs loaded.

Al

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
@fyrflie - good advice about the locked arm method. I tried that yesterday and it really did help me keep better control. Thanks

Just a comment - took I-295 East around JAX to stay off of the construction though the downtown (JAX is always under construction it seems) and WOW, was white knuckled to say the least. Worst experience I've had so far. So I would avoid using that road for now.

And wouldn't you know it, the rear sway bar was delivered to my house just before we were pulling out. How's that for timing?

Al

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well we leave this morning on our first long trip. Almost 3 weeks and probably 2500 miles or so. Not towing anything this time. Hellwig is backed up (backordered) so was only able to put the new steering damper on, but not the rear swaybar. But did get a lot of other interior stuff completed and figured out the proper tire pressure based on the weight. Was lower than I figured it would be.

We plan on using non-interstate roads for about 50% of the trip. I'll fill up first so I can see what our gas mileage is for the entire trip and when we're back I'll post. Anyone have an idea of the longevity of the Ford V10 Triton engine? Our has about 84k and runs great so far.

Al

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fyrflie wrote:
\
And anybody who claims their gas mileage to be above 10 mpg as an average in a 30 plus foot coach needs to recheck their math. Just sayin.

I had one trip across Texas heading east one year when I was recording an average of 13.8 in a 37'7" Class A gasser towing a 1992 Chevy lumina APV.. But read on... First another comment.

Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
I was going 70 to 75 MPH since I got more comfortable driving the coach, then one of my Dolly tires gave way. Destroyed the Rim. Thankfully I had a spare.

Even at 45 MPH the odds are the Tire will shread and the rim will be damaged. Thankfully they use cheap rims.

I saw the tire off a Towed (4down) car that blew on it's owner (Tommany Brandt is a Country Gospel singer drives a Prevost Motor home pulling an SUV) It was impressive... he was parked beside me.

Back to the first story.. The Rest of that 13.8
THe road was laser straight and the "Breeze" was blowing straight down teh road. Tumble weeds blowing past were not crossing the lane lines butg continuing straight down the road...at 90-110 MPH.

I think I got a bit of ASSIST on that trip.

A few days later Both Wind and I changed direction.. I was then headed N.E. and the wing blowing in my fact) 6MPG or less.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times