cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?

AKMac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I'm new here.

Long story, but I purchased a new 2019 Genesis Supreme Vortex 2715V in April. I am towing it with a 2007 CC LB SRW 3500 Chevy and and have a RZR XP4 loaded in the garage. The hitch is a reese WD 15,000lb hitch, and through trial and error I have adjusted the trailer to be about 4" nose low which is what I think is about the limit of where it should be.

The sway issues and general instability have me thinking I should have gone with a 5th wheel instead. The truck litterally feels like it is being pushed all the time. There is no relaxing with it. My dad following behind me in his rig said that one sway pushed the trailer into the other lane.

I have read all the posts saying I should move weight around, etc but with a RZR XP4 I don't have much room to change the loading. We dry camp and I have to take water with me as well. I'm sort of out of options other than trying one of the super expensive hitches.

I'm seriously looking at just cutting my losses and moving onto a smaller 5th wheel toyhauler. I'm pleased with the overall build and looks of the Genesis trailers, so I was thinking about moving into a 28CR.

I'm just curious if anyone else with this size of 5th wheel toy hauler and a 4 seat machine can tell me if they tow any better? I'm not looking for trailer that I can haul in a hurricane, but I what I have not does not feel safe at all.

For the record, I don't think it's the truck. I have hauled many trailers with it, some heavier, and it's been just fine. It's definitely the loading of the trailer.
26 REPLIES 26

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with trying a Propride or Hensley Arrow hitch. Their projection point engineering virtually eliminates sway. I know Hensley offers a money back satisfaction guarantee on their fifth wheel hitches. If they offer the same on the Arrow, it would make sense to give it a try, you might have to eat some freight charges with a return. Hensley has some good videos explaining the engineering and demonstrating how the trailer can't impact the vehicle with sway forces. People swear by them.

I'm assuming you don't have air bags on the truck.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
How does it tow without the SxS in it? It would be interesting to test it just to make sure that your problem really is weight distribution.

You should weigh the tongue with and without the SxS loaded, just to verify that your problem is from the low tongue weight.

If that's the case, then you should be able to adjust the height and angle of your hitch to compensate

Wrong.

A WD hich does not or cannot fix low TW! None of them will.
Some how, some way (other than WD) the TW must be fixed.

Proper TW is the cornerstone to achieving a good towing lashup.
Then adding the WD hitch of your choice will make it even better.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

odyknuck
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 2017 39' 5th wheel Wolfpack 315 pack12 with a seperate garage and I am having sway issue with it. So going to a 5th wheel will not nessasaryly solve your issue, just sayin. I have removed The Happijack beds and couchs out of the garage. Removed the shelving unit to be able to back the X3 in. Relocated the spare tire tom under the bed and added weight to the basement area and still only have a pin weight of 15%. 5th wheels tow best at 20%.
"Make life better, relax and adjust to enjoy"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
The only downside to a fifth wheel over a bumper pull is the loss of truck bed.

Not a total loss... I still put a couple nights worth of firewood back there and that is with a short bed.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
A Hensley hitch would probably be less than the hit you'll take trading. Hensley will take care of sway and push/pull. No sure if it'll help with the feeling of being pushed around, but I'd bet it would do wonders there as well.

I had a Hensley in previous life. Pro-Pride is similar concept.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Y-Guy
Just thinking out loud... Where is the weight in a RZR? Would backing it in help by moving some of the weight closer the front?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Get it weighed, spend the money for a scale or go to a CAT scale where you can load/unload the toy. Get rear truck axle only, front truck axle only and trailer axles weight, all with and without the toy and extra water, etc.

Sounds like you just don't have enough tongue weight to me. You've got plenty of truck to pull about anything so adding tongue weight should not hurt. Might be the trailer axles are just too far forward. Also need to confirm you're not overloading the trailer itself.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
Sandia Man wrote:
No doubt due simply to the physics involved a 5er should tow better than a TT, that being said a TT can be towed without the effects of sway when you have enough truck, are properly loaded, and WD/SC hitch is dialed in correctly, there is some trial & error initially.

I thought it might be his truck too, be he has a long bed 3500.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
The only downside to a fifth wheel over a bumper pull is the loss of truck bed.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
No doubt due simply to the physics involved a 5er should tow better than a TT, that being said a TT can be towed without the effects of sway when you have enough truck, are properly loaded, and WD/SC hitch is dialed in correctly, there is some trial & error initially.

We have a TT TH that is pretty much the same size and weight and have a very comfortable towing experience whether fully loaded with toys and full water tanks, or without toys and just one water tank full as we always carry water. We travel at interstate/highways speeds without sway.

Our rig has black, gray, and 2 FW tanks ahead of the axles with fuel station and genny tanks to the rear. With toys (up to 3 atvs and dirt bike) we place most of the weight directly over axles, too much behind leads to sway for us. Without toys we place most weight to rear to offset tongue weight.

We keep our ST tires on our rig pretty much loaded up to max psi and our LT rear tires call for max pressure according to door jamb label, both help in keeping her steady. Sure, you could trade for a 5er, but with your truck I would give it a shot and make more tweaks before taking that step.

Just curious what hauler do you have? You also say most weight on axels. How do you get 3 atvs on the axels? My 5th wheel and my TT haulers I only have and had room for 1 ATV on the axels. Your FW tanks are ahead of axels. This helps you tremendously with tounge weight. Alot of rigs FW tanks are on the axels so no help.

Just trying to compare apples to apples.

You can tweak your WD hitch all you want if you dont have enough tounge weight you will sway.

And I do agree with doing what you can before dumping the rig. Exhaust every oportunity. But in the end you have to be comfortable towing and safety.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II

We have a TT TH that is pretty much the same size and weight and have a very comfortable towing experience whether fully loaded with toys and full water tanks, or without toys and just one water tank full as we always carry water. We travel at interstate/highways speeds without sway.

Our rig has black, gray, and 2 FW tanks ahead of the axles with fuel station and genny tanks to the rear. With toys (up to 3 atvs and dirt bike) we place most of the weight directly over axles, too much behind leads to sway for us. Without toys we place most weight to rear to offset tongue weight.

We keep our ST tires on our rig pretty much loaded up to max psi and our LT rear tires call for max pressure according to door jamb label, both help in keeping her steady. Sure, you could trade for a 5er, but with your truck I would give it a shot and make more tweaks before taking that step.

dedmiston
2001400ex wrote:
This video has been posted many times here but figure it's relevant again.

https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q

The moral of the story: Don't tow with a Mustang GT.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
This video has been posted many times here but figure it's relevant again.

https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q

Good Video, simple and plain!
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371