cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.0l 301,112 miles

bigburg
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a trip and she is at 301,112 miles. She is a 2005 6.0l F250 CC 4x4. At 298,XXX miles I had to replace the radiator due to puncture from road debris, 296,XXX I replaced all bushings and ball joints and axle seals on the front plus u joints. I had a failed u joint but figured I would replace other items while I had the time. Overall she has been reliable with the only break downs being an egr cooler, FICM and vacuum pump for engaging front hubs. Still running factory injectors but plan to replace this summer as prevention. Also still on factory head gaskets. No tune but I run her hard towing and running trails in the mountains. Hope to check back in at 400,000 with good news but I do realize I'm lucky to have gotten this far with so few issues.
49 REPLIES 49

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
Grit Dog is actually okay - He just gets too much Cummins exhaust and coal dust in his lungs and skips a cog every once in while. Detaining him in CARB friendly Seattle for month might clean him out...

Haha, not a chance! I just dusted a hippie who wouldn’t get out of the road last weekend in Packwood!
And Fish is right, I was wrong about the 6.4. That was actually IH (Navistar), not Ford in house. I’m just full of that misinformation!
But actually my point was to the guy who lauded Ford for their in house diesel compared to the outsourced one.
What some fail to see is I gave credit where credit is due. Not Ram mafia. If Ford made a mega cab that had an engine I could actually work on I’d seriuosly consider it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Hahahaha. Ford diesels were good when they were outsourced too (until the 6 liter anyway).
That’s how they all started save for the sweet 5.7 Oldsmobile diesel.
Ford = cornbinder
GM = Detroit then Isuzu
Dodge = Cummins

Ford is the only mfg that went to in house diesel with the 6.4 and 6.7 after the 6.0 fiasco. Well, Duramax is largely or wholly GM now too, but used to be Isuzu.

And like a stated earlier about "misinformation" this post from GD is loaded with errors.
I have noticed he will always bash a Ford thread but hardly ever has his info and facts right. He really knows very little about Ford.
Just to be clear of my feelings here. I love a good Cummins engine. Its all I would run in my road tractors and am a certified Cummins tech. I just hate the **** that Dodge and Fiat wrapped around a good engine.

It's funny how some people are only allowed to have an opinion. I personally think Ram wraps the Cummins just as well or better than the other big three wraps their ****.

I take care of a fleet of trucks and to give an example, I have an 06 Ram Cummins with 350,000 miles on it and an 05 Powerstroke with 350,000 and the Ram is in better shape body wise and accessory wise. I won't even compare the engines because we all know how that goes.

I loaded two F350s today sending to a sale that have been replaced by Rams ( my personal service truck was one of them).
I never said you could not have an opinion. Please post what I said instead of your interpretation. At least try to get that part right. I said I as in myself didn't like them and I am entitled to my opinion as are you. But please post on what I said, not what you thought I did.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bedlam
Grit Dog is actually okay - He just gets too much Cummins exhaust and coal dust in his lungs and skips a cog every once in while. Detaining him in CARB friendly Seattle for month might clean him out...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Hahahaha. Ford diesels were good when they were outsourced too (until the 6 liter anyway).
Ford = cornbinder
GM = Detroit then Isuzu
Dodge = Cummins

Ford is the only mfg that went to in house diesel with the 6.4 and 6.7 after the 6.0 fiasco. Well, Duramax is largely or wholly GM now too, but used to be Isuzu.

And like a stated earlier about "misinformation" this post from GD is loaded with errors.
I have noticed he will always bash a Ford thread but hardly ever has his info and facts right. He really knows very little about Ford.
Just to be clear of my feelings here. I love a good Cummins engine. Its all I would run in my road tractors and am a certified Cummins tech. I just hate the **** that Dodge and Fiat wrapped around a good engine.

It's funny how some people are only allowed to have an opinion. I personally think Ram wraps the Cummins just as well or better than the other big three wraps their ****.

I take care of a fleet of trucks and to give an example, I have an 06 Ram Cummins with 350,000 miles on it and an 05 Powerstroke with 350,000 and the Ram is in better shape body wise and accessory wise. I won't even compare the engines because we all know how that goes.

I loaded two F350s today sending to a sale that have been replaced by Rams ( my personal service truck was one of them).
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ford = cornbinder
GM = Detroit then Isuzu
Dodge = Cummins

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Ford = cornbinder
GM = Detroit then Isuzu
Dodge = Cummins

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
They’re still on the road Bedlam. With the value of trucks, even the older ones are worth fixing still vs scrapping.
I love the “I see them all the time so the rumors about them sucking is false” comments.
JV partner in AK on the Slope was still running a bunch of 6.0 Fords in their fleet due to the diesel emissions/ options with other brands etc.
They also had about half as many old pre emissions Duramaxes.
Their shop had most of a wall lined with 6.0 Diesel engines sitting on the floor. Some rebuilt some blown.
I asked how many Duramax engines they had stocked up. The equipment manager laughed and said theyd replaced a few that got dusted or run out of oil or otherwise damaged. But the 6.0s provided their mechanics a lot of paychecks!

And fwiw, the equipment guys up there said they’d have been running Dodge Cummins all along but dodge didn’t offer a CC/LB until 2010.
When I was up there, Ram had just added DeF. Fleets we’re getting switched out to them. That’s how I ended up with a fleet of Rams instead of Powdersmokes.

See OP, I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to come on and tell you how terrible your truck is, and how there is a 0% chance you'll make it past 50K miles without being on your third engine...Oh wait..

Great job working that 6.0 and also maintaining and caring for it. Thanks for reporting your real world experience.

Lol to you and the Fish man!
I’m sure there’s plenty that haven’t been lemon s. But defending them like y’all do is hilarious!
Not saying mr Dodge is the best but the big C is about 1000% better than a 6 leaker.
But I’m sure I’m making this all up because the 6.ohno was sooo awesome they offered it for 5 long years and then dumped it so abruptly that they didn’t even have a diesel to put in the best selling truck on the planet for a year.

Didn't they put the award winning 6.4L in right after dropping the 6.0L? :B

Kind of like the award winning 6.7 cummins with all the emissions problems after dropping the 5.9. :W

The 6.7 cummins was dubbed "The next 6.0".

For about2 days until you delete it. I’m not talking about emissions, they all plugged up dpfs regularly.

The OP was simply reporting the status of his truck and people like you continue to show your true colors for everyone here to see.

You might want to give a little credit to the president ,and vice president of Ram Mafia club, for staying off this thread, I am flabbergasted . Thought for sure we could get to see yet ANOTHER picture of that truck ,and fifth wheel from the president :R

LOL... What we have here is a couple of Mafia volunteers that operate incognito.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
the 6.4 was also international

see what i mean?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ford = cornbinder
GM = Detroit then Isuzu
Dodge = Cummins

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
As outside observer ,it seems to me the dodge owners with the outside sourced engine have the biggest chip on their shoulders, very quick to gang up on anyone who 'dis' their choice .Loyal eh?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
@Fish.
Glass houses and stones buddy.....:)

Classic Fish. Talks about people showing their "true colors", and repeatedly either states or implies that the 6.0 was a better engine than the CTD 6.7.

There are plenty of highly brand biased people on this forum. And he leads the pack for his Blue Oval fetish.

No... there's so much misinformation for various reasons on this forum.

Classic Troll... Atta boy! :W

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
@Fish.

Classic Fish. Talks about people showing their "true colors", and repeatedly either states or implies that the 6.0 was a better engine than the CTD 6.7.

There are plenty of highly brand biased people on this forum. And he leads the pack for his Blue Oval fetish.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Fish.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
250k miles /400k km's just turned over on mine. Anything needing fixing has been done in my driveway except for tire mounting and emissions check, which I might add she passes with flying colours.

See many of them on the road every day still taking guys to work and used as commuters/daily drivers, mine included.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman