cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to buy

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
If you had all the money in the world and wanted a 30 foot MH. What would you buy?
Big Bird 2
11 REPLIES 11

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom ... thanks for your post ... which kindof brought me back down to Earth.

What we have is a 2005 Itasca 24V we bought new from a dealer in 2006, and it meets an awful lot of the criteria on the long list I posted earlier in this thread. Just for fun I've kept up on what's been available in the Class C market since we bought and the exact build qualtiy, features list, and specifications of what we have cannot be duplicated today from any manufacturer - including the Coach House, Lazy Daze, and Phoenix Cruiser offerings. I guess Winnebago was in rare form back then.

P.S. My pre-retirement career work and retirement volunteer work have taken me to Asia and Europe, including such diverse places as rural Cambodia and the Switserland countryside, and FWIW .... I have no desire to visit places such as those as a retired tourist, in an RV or otherwise. It's pretty difficult to beat the good U.S. of A. when it comes to boondock RV'ing in the West on our spectacular public lands. (Well, on second thought, it would be nice to boodock RV camp in that incomparable 2 million acre Patagonia national park network - if could get my good old Itasca back in there!)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For reference, I currently have a 30 foot motorhome, Winnebago's Itasca Spirit 29B, 14 years old, and I am quite happy with it. In this size and motorhome category, it can be hard to do much better, but if I really wanted something in this size, and was willing to wait for it to be built, I would probably buy a LazyDaze, although for my current needs 30 foot is way too much RV, my next purchase would more likely be a Class B, more expensive than most Class C's.

But if I had "all the money in the world," I would not be driving a RV. If I wanted to travel on land, I would charter an entertainer traveling coach that matched the size of my party, and overnight at first class hotels or resorts. For most travel, I would probably charter a jet, if I did not have first class commercial travel available. "All the money in the world" totally changes the way one looks at everything, and buying a motorhome to drive myself goes totally out of the picture. If I had 20 million dollars instead of 2 million dollars, even that would change the way I approach things.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a higher end 30' MH that comes with a mechanic/maintenance person who is always available for repairs 24/7 and will fly or drive to wherever I am.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignoring the OP's 30 ft length requirement, I'd buy a small as possible motorhome (hopefully way less than 30 ft long) with:

No slides.
A total coach height of no more than around 11'6".
Two queen size sleeping beds.
All Wheel drive.
A 1000 mile or greater range before refueling.
A fresh water supply of at least 60 gallons.
A grey water tank of at least 40 gallons.
A black water tank of at least 40 gallons.
Plumbing and tank systems that didn't care about cold weather.
A coach heating system adequate for any North American freezing temperatures.
A coach air conditioning sytem adequate for any North American scorching temperatures.
A single-door 3-way refrigerator of around 6-7 CF that was properly installed such that it didn't care about any North American scorching temperatures.
A built-in generator that could power everything and was installed properly such that you could hardly hear it running inside or outside and that used the same fuel as the main engine.
A dry shower and toilet area.
A coach ceiling height of at least 6'6".
A distributed ducts heating system.
A distributed ducts air conditioning system.
Several outside storage cabinets, including one for sewer hoses.
An automatic outside step for the coach.
A manually operated main awning.
Outside retractable awnings above all windows.
Double pane windows that would never degrade.
At least two coach chairs of the zero gravity lounge style.