cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look what followed me home

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Well after doing a bunch of mods to my GMC 3500 SRW to carry my Hosts cascade, traded the truck for this dually. I got a fairly good deal on it. Hoping it will carry my camper with no mods. I have ordered a Torklift hitch and tie downs. Can’t wait to try it out. Looks like my previous thread got deleted I’ll try to behave??
28 REPLIES 28

JimPH
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck only a 2016. Just completed a 2500 mile trip up through Washington and down the Oregon coast. My camper weighs upwards of 4500 lbs. The truck is a beast. More than enough power. Never wished for more power. Exhaust brake works incredibly well. Coming down from Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park hardly needed the brakes. I keep my tire pressure at 80 psi in rears and 75 psi in front when camper is loaded. HOEVER check the side wall rating of the tires. I have air bags installed because my camper is heavier on one side and the air bags keep it level side to side. Congrats you will love that beast!

Bedlam
Look up the load inflation/pressure tables for your size tire when run as a DRW - It will probably be around 65 psi. You have twice the number of sidewalls and tires supporting your payload, so you don't have to run maximum sidewall pressure.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Have not put the camper on the truck yet. Still waiting on the tie downs and super hitch to come in. Since I’m new to dually a question I have is what air pressure in the tires are y’all running loaded with a 5000 pound camper?

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on new truck! You will love it! Cummins baby!

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead, we are in central Ms near Ross Barenett Reservoir. Stop by sometime. Love to compare rigs and stories. Even have a RV pad

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Very good looking truck.
I found some small differences between my 2016 SRW and the new dually. Fortunately Torklift is using a different front tie down and no fish wire needed. I thinkk I posted this elsewhere, but get you a pair of small needle nose Vise Grips to hold the back up plates. And be sure you orient the drivers side right regarding the welded on nut. I just installed the BigWig I had on my previous truck. The hanger brackets on the frame are very close to some kind of electrical equipment. The brackets wouldn't fit "square" over the frame and are very close the receiver hitch. But otherwise the sway bar fits better and I was able to get it level without cutting the tailpipe.Yesterday I put my plywood flooring in the truck. The tailgate frame width is about an inch narrower than my 2016 was.
Start loading this morning for a trip to Heber Springs Arkansas.
We pass through Mississippi a lot. I'll wave at ya next time!
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a really big truck, or a really small guy? :E Wow!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Eddie on the new DRW! My old Ford DRW carries my Cascade like a boss, your new Ram should be sweet! Enjoy!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
If that was mine, I'd have to buy a new hat, a couple of sizes larger...! 😉 Congrat's... it's a beauty!!!

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
The stuff of dreams for us TC guys.
Is the mileage pretty much the same as a 2500 once loaded with the TC?

Who really cares when it come to mileage versus safety. I doubt it makes an iota of difference in mileage. We looked at the Cascade, Mammoth, ALP 1200 and Lance 1172. Have a DRW 350 with 14K GVWR and the Hosts were out of the GVWR IMHO. Can't imagine trying a SRW of any type with these heavy TCs.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
The stuff of dreams for us TC guys.
Is the mileage pretty much the same as a 2500 once loaded with the TC?

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
No I was wrong I just didn’t see it. All is good, thanks

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
... Looks like my previous thread got deleted I’ll try to behave??
This thread?

Dually

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
Trout guy, you chose the Aisin and HO. Do you pull something heavier than the 811.?( by the way that was my first camper and on a 2500) I went with the 68 RE transmission because im nott pulling 20 tp 30 thousand pounds. Looked at the aisin and Ho but, my concern was payload. The cost was also a significant difference. You’ve got the granddaddy

Got the HO and the Aisin because my previous truck had an Allison trans and it was bulletproof. I’m old school and a firm believer in “go big or go home”. The truck was on the dealer’s lot and was a pretty good price and available. I currently tow an enclosed 7x16’ trailer and have plans to purchase a 24’ fishing boat, and also plan to purchase a new AF 1150 probably next year.
I felt that this truck wouldn’t leave me wishing for more. The 4:10 gearing also shows 1750 rpm @ approx. 62 mph in 6th gear, which for me, is a comfortable cruising speed when loaded. Time will tell......

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000