cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Propane Tanks

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend of mine stopped by yesterday with a "new to him" 1989 model Class C. It looks like the propane tank on his rig is not removable. The tank lays horizontal & has a different filling connections than your usual removable portable 20 or 30 pound cylinders. We are wondering if a place that fills propane cylinders will even fill it! I'd appreciate suggestions or experience's that any of you have had with this type of set-up.
Thanks in advance, Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!
8 REPLIES 8

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
FYI- I had one the they refused to fill because when open the shut off valve leaked around the stem with soapy water.
It only leaked when partially open.
There was a packing nut there and I just tightened a little to stop the leak!

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 Propane Dealers in the area and all 3 will fill motorhomes. Only issue is that you usually need to call ahead to make sure someone is there that can operate the filling equipment. Google "Propane Dealer" or "Propane Distributor". One side benefit: price is cheaper per gallon than the portable cylinders.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only problem around here is finding a place that has the equipment to fill it. It requires "local knowledge" where you can get it done. Goodness knows how tourists ever find one around here. I see there is a thread about that in the States somewhere in another forum too.

Might eventually be forced to get one of those adapters and carry a cylinder to fill the tank (mine takes about two and a half 30lbs worth), assuming there will always be a place to get a cylinder refilled.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My ASME tank is 34-years old and I've never had anyone balk at filling it. I think I might paint it this year for cosmetic purposes, but it's physically sound. As others have mentioned, different rules apply to permanently mounted tanks but you'll always come across a know-it-all at a fill-er-up station or on the Interwebs that argues otherwise.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Fella's, Great information! Never have dealt with a tank like this before. Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mounted TANKS (Motorhomes) are ASME/NFPA Jurisdiction and have NO inspection requirements
Replacement is needed if damaged by extreme rust, accident, fire
*It is recommended that relief valve be replaced after 10 years

Portable CYLINDERS are DOT Jurisdiction and have to be inspected/re-certified 12 years after date of mfg.
Re-cert can be a 'visual' inspection good for 5 yrs. then re-cert again
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
google "RV Propane tank versus cylinder" for information.

Here's a sample link https://rvshare.com/blog/the-ultimate-rv-propane-tank-guide-read-this-before-fixing-or-buying/

Bottom line is a tank is permanently mounted to the vehicle, typically found in Class A, B and C RVs, and subject to different rules than a removable cylinder, typically found in RV trailers.

Greg
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

sammytoo
Explorer
Explorer
It's an ASME tank, not meant to be removed and if in good condition any supplier that does motorhomes will fill it.