cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A vandalized on roof

cnc0918
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is parked on our property & someone went up on the roof & threw a cement block into the roof at some point this Winter. It is a 34' Class A with a rubber roof. During that time, the roof had major leakage which we only discovered last week. The TV over the dash is barely hanging on in the cabinet, every electronic thing we have is right where the leak started. We drained about 3 gallons of water out, there's mildew on the ceiling, the water dripped down into the dash, & we have no idea what that could've done to the automatic levelers, or anything else in the dash.

My question is, do any of you know how much it costs to replace the rubber roof, the entire headliner, probably most of the wood, all the cabinets in the front of the coach, all the electronics we lost, the tv, & the dashboard as well. The water leaked down to the carpet & into the linoleum flooring by the entrance to the coach. Needless to say, it is a royal mess!

Thanks in advance for any comments you can give me.
49 REPLIES 49

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Average value for your model is 25k, not 35k. While it IS your baby, you have to be realistic on the real value of that motorhome. One thing novices do when they go to the Kelly type sites is they ADD all what they think is optional equipment. REAL NADA books already have those options as standard equipment built into the price listed, which is where the actual 25k value comes from. Doug

Ok, it's FINALLY over!! Settled with the insurance company at $32,900.

Good for you.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 weeks or so and your insurance company took care of you. That's good. You probably got a small ulcer worrying about it but in the end, they did the right thing and in a timely manner. You should consider staying with them on the new RV.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

cnc0918
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, it's FINALLY over!! Settled with the insurance company at $32,900. So, I guess my husband & the NADA blue book values WERE right after all. We get the check tomorrow via fed ex & will be looking for our next unit. Right now, we're thinking of something much smaller. We're looking at a 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label travel trailer & trading in my minivan for a Tahoe to pull it. We have 16 year old twins who probably won't be much into going with mom & dad for too many more years so this will fit all 4 of us for now & then when they are "too cool" to come with us, it'll be really nice for the 2 of us too.

cnc0918
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Cnc019
You don't have to accuse anyone of anything and you don't have to do anything to them. You could have nearly worked yourself to death to get the MH and some will be jealous and vengeful.

When we were away from our second house the neighbors were cleaning out the landscaping plants and garden. They were always friendly and asking how long we would be there. I told the guy just for a weekend one time but didn't say my wife was staying. She came out later that evening and the neighbor woman was at the property line when she noticed my wife. She dropped her shovel and took off. You wouldn't have wanted to hear what I had to say.

Going forward get yourself a couple trail cams with black flash. Four AA batteries and 32 G card will last almost a year. I find them to be even handier than our loxex Sam's club surveillance system. No, it's not some guy from the inner city, it our own sneaky back stabbing jealous neighbors. You know their mindset when their kids play with yours and you hear them call your house "the mansion". That's the parents.

It's crazy what people will do these days. And yes, we will definitely be setting up some cameras whenever we get this thing settled. My husband & I literally built our business with our 4 hands, lots of blood, sweat, & tears after he was downsized out of his previous job. And the motorhome was a big deal for us to buy. I didn't think we'd be able to do it but we did by working for it. We'll get through it, move on, & enjoy the next rig we get.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Cnc019
You don't have to accuse anyone of anything and you don't have to do anything to them. You could have nearly worked yourself to death to get the MH and some will be jealous and vengeful.

When we were away from our second house the neighbors were cleaning out the landscaping plants and garden. They were always friendly and asking how long we would be there. I told the guy just for a weekend one time but didn't say my wife was staying. She came out later that evening and the neighbor woman was at the property line when she noticed my wife. She dropped her shovel and took off. You wouldn't have wanted to hear what I had to say.

Going forward get yourself a couple trail cams with black flash. Four AA batteries and 32 G card will last almost a year. I find them to be even handier than our loxex Sam's club surveillance system. No, it's not some guy from the inner city, it our own sneaky back stabbing jealous neighbors. You know their mindset when their kids play with yours and you hear them call your house "the mansion". That's the parents.

cnc0918
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
This is all just terrible, and I hope it all works out for you.
That being said somebody really po'd somebody as this was a deliberate attack by somebody that knew what they were doing.

It was definitely a deliberate attack by someone but we honestly don't have a clue who would do it. We're pretty quiet people, live on a quiet dead end street, & most of the neighbors are elderly. We have one set of neighbors that have upset the entire neighborhood many times but we sure don't want to accuse them of something we have no proof of. The criminal element has definitely come into our small town though - our next door neighbor had their mailbox hit & completely broken off about a week after our motorhome deal.

Right now, we're just waiting for word from the insurance company & we sure hope it is totaled - we love it BUT there's mold in it now & it will NEVER be the same. We could fight it for the entire time we own the blasted thing. We're fully prepared to move on from this & get something different - just a waiting game with the insurance company.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is all just terrible, and I hope it all works out for you.
That being said somebody really po'd somebody as this was a deliberate attack by somebody that knew what they were doing.
Puma 30RKSS

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
F4Jock wrote:
I know how you can become invested in something that you put so much into and have so much fun with but my advice is to get a few more estimates, negotiate with the insurance company, take a total, wave goodbye, and go buy yourself a new rig. Cleaner, faster, less hassle.

This.

I've done a rebuild, by the OPs description this one is definitely totaled.

Figure a realistic value, settle with the insurance company and move on.

Plus, you will get all of what you think will be that "Last Summer" camping with the kids!
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

Bruce_Brown
F4Jock wrote:
I know how you can become invested in something that you put so much into and have so much fun with but my advice is to get a few more estimates, negotiate with the insurance company, take a total, wave goodbye, and go buy yourself a new rig. Cleaner, faster, less hassle.

This.

I've done a rebuild, by the OPs description this one is definitely totaled.

Figure a realistic value, settle with the insurance company and move on.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

cnc0918
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up getting an estimate from a company that the adjuster told us he had contacted to get pricing from. This company is a family owned business so when my husband went to talk to them, he specifically asked if they'd heard from this particular person/company - they said absolutely NOT. So, the "expert adjuster" LIED to us & so did the insurance company who also stated they'd spoken to this company. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Anyway, the company we contacted for a new estimate said it would be a MINIMUM $25,000 & that's without any of the mechanicals that are probably damaged. After quite a rainy Spring, we officially have black mold. The motorhome stinks to high heaven & the black mold is not only in the ceiling area, it's spreading through the walls as well. We are STILL waiting to hear a final word from the insurance. I absolutely am amazed that the TV over the dashboard is still hanging on up there - the entire cabinetry must be hanging on by a thread at this point. Will let you know what the final decision is - that is, if they EVER make it!!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Time to contact an attorney..................

Yup, and when you do the insurance company buckles down. The insurance company has deeper pockets and you will eventually loose. Then you are out attorney fees

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
When Irma came through Florida our Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler was damaged and We have SafeCo for all of our vehicles. So, I called in and started a claim. This RV was in a park about 30 minutes from our sticks and bricks so I let them know to please give me a heads up on when the Adjuster would be coming.

I'm sitting around on a Sunday Morning when I got a phone call from the adjuster saying that he was at the RV. I told him it would take me almost an hour to get there and he said no problem.

The area where the RV was at DID NOT Flood so the Inspector was having a problem with our "Flood" Claim. I told him the flooding came from a Roof Vent that had blown off during the storm which flooded the Galley Area. All of the area was soaked including the floor of the slide. He told me to get some estimates from RV Dealers for repairs. The lowest that I got started at $10,000 but stated that it would go up from there depending on what was found once the tore into it.

The adjuster ask me what I thought it was worth and I was honest as I had already checked NADA and also searched for recent sales of me model rig.

Long Story short, they totalled it and gave me way more than I thought I would be getting. When the Adjuster was there, he listed ALL options such as Generator etc, which he said made a difference when it came to the settlement price.

To the OP, I agree that you should get some honest estimates but something to keep in mind is the amount of time that your RV will sit before repairs are completed. This was a big worry for us as we were concerned about Black Mold. This was one of the reasons that the decision to Total it was made and something for you to mention to your Insurer.

Best of Luck and I hope they total your rig as it will most likely not ever be the same.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
If an insurance company is jerking you around, remember...you PAID for certain coverage and they are OBLIGATED to provide it.

If you believe they are acting in BAD FAITH, do not hesitate to contact your state's insurance commissioner.

He or She will ensure the insurance company is meeting their obligations. From experience, I can say they do NOT have a sense of humor for unscrupulous operators and are not timid about using their authority to levy charges if appropriate.

"They" strike fear into the hearts of insurance companies.

"But what if insurance companies are doing the right thing, why should they fear the insurance commissioner?" - EXACTLY!

THAT is how you defend yourself against unethical and inappropriate behavior by insurance companies.

Be sure to document your conversations and your findings as you go.

BTW, if you are UNSURE about how an insurance company should be handling your claim, your state's insurance commissioner can and often will answer your questions, just not give legal advice...just like this is not legal advice 😉

Good luck and hope you get treated fairly and with respect 😉