cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Palo Duro Canyon State Park TX

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a stunningly beautiful TX state park containing the second biggest canyon in the US. It also contains some campgrounds.
I would suggest that huge Class A and large towable owners unhook toads and trucks and scout the access road before venturing down the 10% grade. There are very tight curves and some very steep inclines.
It is more suited to smaller Cs and light TTs. There are some sites with water and electric and big bunches of sites with nothing.
There are trails everywhere for hiking, a trading post with a decent camp store and very good food choices in the burger sandwich chicken category.
It is worth visiting but the RV is best left at one of the many other RV Parks in the Amarillo area. The park is accessed from exit 64 on I40. Head south and it is about 25 minutes from there.

Clicky
Puma 30RKSS
23 REPLIES 23

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
I totally disagree on the length warning from the OP. We drove our 36' down there and I don't recall even being concerned. There were two other 45' rigs down there too. We were not towing a vehicle, but that wouldn't stop me if we were.

And, that was in the summer. The show "Texas" was great. Yes, it's hot - but, it's a dry heat! LOL
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Was there Easter weekend several years ago, in a tent. Has to drive 2 1/2 miles to a bathroom at 2 am. Got back tent was blown down and had tumbled about 100 feet.

Monday went RV shopping. Put a down payment on our first TT on Thursday.

Never unfolded the tent again, and have enjoyed Palo Duro several times since.

But no way Iโ€™ll go there in the summer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many stinging bugs and big snakes. I suggest everyone stay away. It's become difficult to get a reservation

And Caprock, nothing to see there either. Move along.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
Was there once.
Moose

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We were there several years ago... on our way home from Colorado. I'm a Texan through and through.. but this is one park that I have do desire to return to. Extremely hot, no breeze, bugs, bees, snakes.... and the one campground on the canyon floor with 50 amp service couldn't keep two ACs going without throwing breakers in our camper.
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Palo Duro last year and loved it. We chose to stay in a RV park in Amarillo and go to the state park by car. This wasn't because of being discouraged because of our RV size (44') as much as we prefer FHU's.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
We were there at the end of August last year and agree with others' observations about the beautiful ambience. And neither the descent nor ascent was a problem. Lots of Class A's in our loop at the bottom of the canyon. No cell or OTA TV signal, so it's nice and quiet.

Will also suggest another Texas State Park with similar ambience that is SE about 95 miles: Caprock Canyon State Park. A newer park reflecting a somewhat similar experience; stunningly beautiful colors; a free roaming bison (buffalo) herd that you have to watch for; a fun prairie dog town; a range of hiking trails offering various difficulties; even wifi on the RV loop we were on.

It's on our list for a return trip. We'd recommend it if you are in the area.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to back out of the way for one guy as he came down the hill. Newbie? Maybe, but I guarantee some under powered V6 gassers with 9K lb towables have regretted their visit.
I am glad that all of you made it, it truly is a grand vista of a place.
Puma 30RKSS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why you would say it's not for big rigs. It's perfectly fine getting down that 'hill'. The campsites are huge - made for big rigs! We've been on worse with our 40' motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
The last time I was there was probably in the mid 1990's. And at that time in the summer they had a stage show called "TEXAS", don't know if Texas Tec pulls it on every summer.

The play is put on by the students of West Texas State when I graduated from there, now it's called West Texas A&M University in Canyon. Have to get there early enough for the BBQ dinner. Really not much to do in Canyon itself except the college has a pretty decent museum. The Panhandle Plains Historical Museum.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We saw it a number of years ago, it was a dinner theater then, and it was pretty good. Another big outdoor theater can be found at the Tuacahn Amphitheater in Cedar City UT. They had a flood onstage, I mean water pouring over the stage, at the show we saw. That was a historical about the settlement of southern Utah but I see they have a lot of general shows now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We travel I40 whenever heading out west from NC and usually manage to spend a few nights at Palo Duro to break the trip up a bit. Havenโ€™t seen the play Texas yet but hope to do so this year. It was written by Paul Green who also authored The Lost Colony, another outdoor drama, which which has been a summer mainstay on our coast since 1937.

We did see the Gatlin Brothers in the amphitheater a few years back. Awesome performance with the sound and the lights on the red cliff background.

Back on topic. Weโ€™re small, just a 19โ€™ Scamp gooseneck, so have no trouble getting up or down and sites seem plenty large to,us. Iโ€™ve seen a bunch of the big boys, fivers and MHโ€™s, in all three campgrounds so know itโ€™s doable but have no idea how stressful the ride might have been.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I spent two nights there about 3 years ago. It was just ok IMO. I have seen too many prettier places in Utah, I guess... now I'm jaded.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Great to hear the good news about Palo Duro Canyon! We're heading there the end of next week for a 3 night stay. Been on our "bucket list" for years! We're so looking forward to our stay. Hope the weather is good while we're there.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy