cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any limit as to RV length on the Alaska Ferry

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Planing a 2019 Alaska trip and wanted to be sure we can get on the ferry pulling a 5th wheel that is about 35 ft long?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
19 REPLIES 19

soren
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
kcfissel wrote:
The only restriction is your wallet.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, exactly what I was going to say; They charge by the foot $$$$$$$$$$$ and their rules are horrendous for pets, so I drove.

a way round the pet issue. go to ebay and purchase a 'service' animal vest for your dog. then you can take your dog anywhere. problem solved.

It should be a crime to fraudulently claim that you have a need for, and are legitimately using a "service dog", when you do not.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
sljohnson1938 wrote:

a way round the pet issue. go to ebay and purchase a 'service' animal vest for your dog. then you can take your dog anywhere. problem solved.

Don't tell me you're one of THOSE!!!! :((((

no, we do not own any pet now. our last one was our dog Poodle Fifi. she left us in 2003.
she was my dog. if my wife came and sat next to me, Fifi would squeeze in between us.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:

Don't tell me you're one of THOSE!!!! :((((
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
kcfissel wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, exactly what I was going to say; They charge by the foot $$$$$$$$$$$ and their rules are horrendous for pets, so I drove.

1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly agree with driving to Prince Rupert and starting from there. Play around with the starting date. We did and got "civilized" departure and arrival times. We needed a room only one night (on the Ketchikan to Sitka leg). The other legs were in the daylight hours.

Also, we met a couple in Whitehorse who left their big 5th wheel in Texas and, for this trip, bought a Lance camper for their Dodge diesel (like our setup). They were having a ball with their newly discovered agility!
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s a cool experience!
To save a buck, cut out the Bellingham to PR leg. Itโ€™s mostly open water. The scenic portion thru the inside passage is from PR north.
Know your not allowed below deck while underway and no propane use allowed so make provisions with your fridge/perishables. I ended up draining the batteries and with some pleading to the purser , they let me plug in, but itโ€™s not allowed in general.
Pets really need to be crated so you can move the crates to the pet area below deck.
We took the ferry when we were moving to AK, so 2 dogs that I thought I could leave in the cargo trailer and the cat in the camper had to be unloaded. I was short a crate and the other 2 crates were buried in the trailer.
IMO, the biggest pain in the ___ was the pets. I wouldnโ€™t bring em if you donโ€™t have to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I went to AMHS website just to see the current ferry rates. I input a 30' motor home and a 13' toad plus a cabin for 2 seniors (us!) from Bellingham to Haines with no other stops and a mid-July 2018 sailing date. The cost was $5500 one-way.

I agree with the others about the ferry loading crews. They are experts at cramming as many vehicles onboard as possible, but the tides can hamper even them at some ports. We were behind a seriously overloaded Class B with a hitch-mounted cargo carrier at Skagway and the crew had to build a ramp with timbers to finally get them onboard. Took 15 minutes to load them and less than 3 to load our truck and trailer.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
You say you want to travel south on the Alaska Hwy again this trip. Maybe think about traveling down the Cassier Hwy 37 south from just west of Watson Lake Yukon to Hwy 16 at Kitwanga. Also if you take this route home take the short side trip on Hwy 37-A to Stewart BC & Hyder Alaska. You maybe there at a good time to view the bears feeding in fish creek.
Here is a link to the Hwy cam at the Jct with the Alaska Hwy and Hwy 37.
Hwy cam

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a large class A unload in Skagway, about a decade ago. The tide was way down, and the rig had to transition from a floating platform attached to the hull, to a very steep ramp. He started forward and began dragging the lower lip of the front cap. He stopped, with a full load of trucks, RVs and cars behind him, and the dock hands told him that he had no choice but to gun the throttle and keep moving. I don't know how badly it cracked and mangled the front cap, but it was an ugly scene to witness.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, the Ferry system does charge by the foot. They will ask you all about your rig(s) and pets when you book. Give correct answers. They have people on the docks who may/will measure your length if necessary. Have a great trip.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the replies. This will be our second trip to Alaska. The first time we drove the Alcan both ways. This time we want to take the ferry to Alaska, getting off once or twice, then drive the Alcan home.
Canโ€™t wait.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:

Indeed.

You will need reservations also and way ahead.
I've been on the ferry with my old Harley. The cabin was not very big and wasn't that expensive, but that was 10 years ago.
When it's time to load your rig there will be 2 or 3 people guiding you in. They will put you exactly where they want you. All you have to do is follow instructions. You can only go down where the vehicles are 3 times a day (on a schedule).
Pack lots of snacks and drinks because the food is expensive.

My wife and I road up the Alcan on the Harley and road the ferry from Haines to Juneau. We got off the ferry with the bike for 36 hours to see the sights and then back on the ferry for 3 nights to Prince Rupert. From there we road back down the Alcan to Oregon. It was a great experience and I would love to do it again.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Practice backing if you need to...a friend was last loaded on and had to back off the ship at two ports. Cruel...but he was retired fireman, no problem.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843